What's new

Sticker residue (1 Viewer)

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know how to remove sticker residue on DVDs? I have purchased some DVDs from my local video store and when I got them home I noticed that they have security labels on them. Some of them came off no problem but one left a sticky residue on the face of the disc. Is there anything I can use to remove it without hurting the disc?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
WD40 works great for this...you do have some, don't you? Contrary to popular [mis]belief, WD40 is a solvent, not a lubricant, causes no harm to plastics.

Jalil

Stunt Coordinator
actually use the sticker itself to get the goo off.

I've been doing this for ages, after i take the sticker off, i take a closer look, and usually at the spot that i initially peeled it off, there will be some residue left, i just use the sticker itself and get it off.
works like a charm everytime.

Rob T

Screenwriter
It depends on the sticker, but for those big black security stickers, I heat them up with a hairdryer for 5 - 10 seconds and they just peel right off. No residue.

The long clear security stickers that hold the case shut, I find I can just peel them off and (typically) no residue is left. If there is any left though, use goo gone, as others have suggested.
Peeling them off a snapper can be difficult sometimes though.

If you're in Canada, you do get the odd extra sticker and then goo gone really comes in handy because they tend to be leave a fair amount of residue.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
WD40 works great for this...you do have some, don't you? Contrary to popular [mis]belief, WD40 is a solvent, not a lubricant, causes no harm to plastics.
I've tried that before. It gets rid of the goo but leaves a smell. I'll have to try out some goo gone.

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
I swear by lighter fluid, it works great. It even safely removes sticker and sticker residue from cardboard or paper (but use sparingly and quickly wipe off the excess).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've been using mineral spirits, which might be a bit harsh. I try to be careful though, let the chemical do its job and not rub the surface, which can remove the ink. Goo Gone would be preferable given the choice.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
actually use the sticker itself to get the goo off.
ditto that! works flawlessly...you gotta try it. i mean, everything you need is right there....what's it gonna hurt. you'll be amazed i tell ya what...

on a mini-rant: why can't those fools all use the same sticky stuff/label material. some labels come off like a charm, others literally shred in my hands. ugh!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Since the cardboard is coated you shouldn't do any damage. I've removed those nasty white Blockbuster stickers from cardboard snapper cases using mineral spirits. Just soak a rag and wipe enough solvent of choice to soak the label. Give it a few seconds and peel. You'll have some adhesive residue but wipe it off with the rag and it should be fine. Be aware of how much rubbing you're doing though as it COULD remove the ink. Goo Gone might be a more gentle product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks