What's new

What to do about that sticky residue from security labels? (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Okay, this is time for one of those more anal concerns. Lately, almost every DVD (or CD for that matter) that I buy retains that sticky slime on its cover, no matter how slowly and methodically I try to remove those clear stickers on the top, bottom and sides of the cases. How the heck do you successfully get the residue off your case when the security tags don't peel off so freely? I haven't had this trouble in past years, but for some reason this seems to be happening regularly now.

Mike.P

Second Unit
Invest in a bottle of Goo Gone. I'm a huge pyscho when it comes to the sticky goo, and this stuff is great. Not only that, it leaves your DVDs smelling citrus fresh!

A Nice sized bottle can be had from Wal-Mart for under 5 bucks and that should last you for years. Also works great for price tags, etc.

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
Yes, Goo Gone is the way to go.

But Joe brings up an interesting point. I have also had this problem more often recently (with both DVDs and CDs). Have the studios and labels switched to a cheaper sticker company or something?

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
They probably switched to a stronger adhesive. Remember, according to the MPAA and RIAA, anyone who tries to remove the security seasl and magnetic sensors is a thief (even if you bought it and just want to watch the movie).

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Don't even bother with a bottle of liquid remover. You can use pieces of Scotch tape to get rid of left over security tape residue. Just get the hang of the on/off motion and it comes off great.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Another vote here for Goo Gone. Works on everything, not just DVD cases. And a bottle will last you years and years and years...

Trevor H

Second Unit
Actually I find that the faster you pull them off the less residue is left behind, and any that is left behind is easily removed by tacking it with the removed security sticker or a piece of tape.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Mineral spirits will remove the stickiness; works better than rubbing alcohol.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I use an Exacto knife to slice through the security stickers along the central slit in the amaray case, then peel from each slice outward. They almost always come off cleanly that way, leaving no residue.

That said, I HAVE noticed stickers on CDs to be a lot more stubborn than they used to be. I too use Goo Gone for any remaining sticky residue, but be careful with DVDs in amaray cases - attempt to remove the paper insert first, since you don't want the Goo Gone to penetrate the paper. It could leave a stain.

CD jewel cases will come clean with Goo Gone in seconds. The 'aroma' will remain on your hands for a good portion of a day, no matter how many times you wash your hands!

Harry

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

I'll second that recommendation. I use tape all the time to get rid of the residue.

Neil

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Another method is using a hair dryer which will soften the glue and allow you to lift it easily.

But be wary of the surface you are doing this to as it may melt or distort thin plastic material.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Trevor and Neil are right. Forget the chemicals - the sticky residue can easily be removed by re-applying the security sticker, or another piece of tape over the residue and tearing it back off in a QUICK motion. It may take a few repeats to get all of it, but it REALLY does work (and is easy and cheap to boot).

I used to have problems with this all of the time, and the chemical cleaner approach did not always work. Not to mention that liquids could seep under the plastic layer and ruin the cover art paper. Figuring out the trick about re-using the sticker and/or tape has saved me many headaches.

The one situation in which it might not work, is if you have a very old residue which was never removed when the original sticker was removed. You may need chemical cleaner for that.

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
To further what RoyM said..

If the CD/DVD has been sitting around on a store shelf for a long time that glue can be pretty tough to remove.

It's annoying that they now put these tags on the top, sides AND bottom of the DVD cases. I think that's overkill.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Like others said, just take the security labels off fast and reapply it to the leftover residue. Then take that off in one quick motion and repeat. No need to go to so much trouble with fluids and hair dryers and freezers and stuff...lol.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The new UPC code sticker they slapped over the existing printed one on the 1953 WOTW -on the outside clear plastic,is a bear-no matter what kind of a grip you get, or how slowly you peel, it still leaves the basic 'stickem' behind.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Another vote here for lighter fluid. And I have indeed noticed that the glue is more stubborn now than in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks