What's new

Steve Canyon (1958) (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
John made his share of mistakes, but I think it always should have been obvious there was never any malice or evil intent on his part nor any attempt to "rip us off" or "play us for suckers" (which I think it can be said is meant to be an accusation of "stealing from us intentionally"). Given the magnitude of a project that no major or independent label would ever have touched, and given the obstacles he had to go through to bring this show to us in a way that no professional label would do in terms of quality of presentation and bonus content, some proper perspective was IMO the way this situation should have been viewed. Annoyance was perfectly understandable (and I've felt it many times myself), but it never struck me as the kind of situation where it warranted a feeling of being emotionally upset about it. And since I paid the same amount of money for this and was in the same fix as any of the rest of us were in regarding what we chose to spend long ago, that meant it was just as valid on my part to express an opinion about those criticizing John in terms that the *facts* now reveal to have been unwarranted as it was to express an opinion of annoyance about the delays. For that I have not a single regret and it gives me satisfaction to see that my instincts about faith and patience being rewarded one day are at last being vindicated.

John, your efforts are appreciated and I look forward to soon taking the stopgap disc in the box out and putting Volume 3 in!

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Just began collecting 50s TV, having been an 80s child who grew up liking TV history. (And who desperately needs to balance out his 70s-80s sets with more 50s & 60s content).

I've just read this entire thread and from what I see, I think a "Making of the Making of Steve Canyon on DVD" documentary would make for fascinating viewing. :)

That said, it appears these sets are well worth it for a collector such as myself. I've ordered all three volumes and look forward to screening them.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I got an email saying my copy is on the way. I'll let everyone know when I get it.

Meantime I'm brushing the cobwebs off the other volumes. :laugh:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Now that I know this is available in its entirety, I might have to invest!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Jack P said:
John made his share of mistakes, but I think it always should have been obvious there was never any malice or evil intent on his part nor any attempt to "rip us off" or "play us for suckers" (which I think it can be said is meant to be an accusation of "stealing from us intentionally"). Given the magnitude of a project that no major or independent label would ever have touched, and given the obstacles he had to go through to bring this show to us in a way that no professional label would do in terms of quality of presentation and bonus content, some proper perspective was IMO the way this situation should have been viewed. Annoyance was perfectly understandable (and I've felt it many times myself), but it never struck me as the kind of situation where it warranted a feeling of being emotionally upset about it. And since I paid the same amount of money for this and was in the same fix as any of the rest of us were in regarding what we chose to spend long ago, that meant it was just as valid on my part to express an opinion about those criticizing John in terms that the *facts* now reveal to have been unwarranted as it was to express an opinion of annoyance about the delays. For that I have not a single regret and it gives me satisfaction to see that my instincts about faith and patience being rewarded one day are at last being vindicated.

John, your efforts are appreciated and I look forward to soon taking the stopgap disc in the box out and putting Volume 3 in!

Some people owe John an apology - let's see if they are big enough to give it - in the open or at least privately.

Name ONE party to put together and complete a private independent classic TV project of this scope and get it done overcoming odds,health and related issues.

Heck, people without those issues seem to stumble! Sam Nelson can't get his act together (Maybe he should give John a Call) and the folks who did "I'm Dickens, He's Finster" fizzled out

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
DeWilson said:
Some people owe John an apology - let's see if they are big enough to give it - in the open or at least privately.

Name ONE party to put together and complete a private independent classic TV project of this scope and get it done overcoming odds,health and related issues.

Heck, people without those issues seem to stumble! Sam Nelson can't get his act together (Maybe he should give John a Call) and the folks who did "I'm Dickens, He's Finster" fizzled out
Sam Nelson doesn't have a complete set of mint 35mm masters like John Ellis and he's dealing with 435 episodes not 34. Sam also never promised five years ago his DVD masters were going to the duplicator "next month". I am glad Steve Canyon V3 is coming out and appreciate Ellis' work on it. I have my copy on its way right now to complete the set. However, let's not get carried away with this apology thing - seems like there's plenty of that to go around.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
John Hermes said:
However, let's not get carried away with this apology thing - seems like there's plenty of that to go around.

Yes, I guess there is.

John did his best to keep everyone up to date these past 5 years during his health and other issues, Yes even with months and months without a word or contact - he did his best. Even if it wasn't good enough for the small number of detractors. We've seen comments here from both sides of situation. I've posted my support for John in several posts.

In the end, John came through, and almost everyone is happy - and those who are not, would never have been anyway due to the delays. But then with over 800 pre-orders, that is a given. :)

Could he have handled the delays,and some people's issues with the delay better - not my place to really say not knowing the extent of what he went through these last few years. That is what it comes down to really. It's all about perception and communication, or the lack there-of, and sadly we've seen where that lead in this thread -
right or wrong.

However, bless him, he finally got V3 out, it's gonna be great. and hope it does well.

Now there's a complete clean set of episodes, perhaps the estate should make a deal with one of the smaller retro networks (RetroTV) to pick up the show :)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
It will be great to get the remaining episodes of this series . There was a time when I was doubtful we'd see the conclusion of this series considering Mr. Ellis health and financial concerns .

But I'm glad the series will be completed - it deserves to be out there so the public can see it again.

Maybe down the road , health permitting , Mr. Ellis can tackle Caniff's Terry And The Pirates which is partially available on sub -par ALpha DVDs.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
LouA said:
Maybe down the road , health permitting , Mr. Ellis can tackle Caniff's Terry And The Pirates which is partially available on sub -par ALpha DVDs.

I hope so, but he needs to bring in help!

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
Those of you that have received V3, could you take a look at the end of disc 1, starting with the animated L&M commercial and let it play to the end of the disc, and report to me here if it has any difficulty playing? I'm aware of 3 discs with a visible flaw in the manufacturing, but so far only 3…I need to know right away if this is more widespread and they have to be replaced. THANKS everyone! (And thanks to Eric Huffstutler for noticing this).

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
John Ellis said:
Those of you that have received V3, could you take a look at the end of disc 1, starting with the animated L&M commercial and let it play to the end of the disc, and report to me here if it has any difficulty playing? I'm aware of 3 discs with a visible flaw in the manufacturing, but so far only 3…I need to know right away if this is more widespread and they have to be replaced. THANKS everyone! (And thanks to Eric Huffstutler for noticing this).
My disc 1 plays the commercial okay, but freezes during the end credits of the episode (The Muller Story). When I scanned this disc, the report was an error toward the end of the disc which must be the same area.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I had no problems with mine on the scan check on my portable player. Will be playing it on my main player in just a bit.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Played fine on my regular player. No issues so it appears to be just a small number and not the whole batch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks