What's new

STARTUP.COM - good movie, but maybe a rental vs. a purchase...? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I enjoyed STARTUP.COM, a pretty revealing documentary about the rise and fall of a web-based business. But I don't think it's a repeat-view movie, so I'll probably tape it (using my APEX 600A), sell it, and just about break even on it. Other opinions?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I believe it is against HTF policy to discuss copying. But I know that wasn't the intent of your post. You should probably edit that part out.

Keith M.

Second Unit
I really enjoyed this movie. It has a documentary feel to it which makes it so real and interesting. For anyone who has gone through or suffered indirectly from the Dot.Bomb fiasco, this is a must see. It is definetly a revealing story of reality. And in many cases, shows exactly why our .com economy has failed and continues to slow down.
This is sure to become a cult classic with IT professionals everywhere. You owe it to yourself to at least rent it...

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I have an interesting story about this film, I worked for a dot-com at the time this film was taking place, and Tom Herman interviewed with us. In fact, I was one of the folks who interviewed him. He told us about GovWorks, that he had been "sold-out", and that they were making a movie about it, and we didnt really know what to make of it....sounded a bit unreal.
Our .com failed also, after $20 million in funding was spent!
Jeff Peake

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
eek.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

I can't believe that someone else on this forum knows about the film! I like my DVD of Startup.com -- a decent documentary, albeit not geeky enough for my tastes.
But I've been dying to see Revolution O.S.! Seeing Linus Torvalds, Stallman and the other pioneers of the open source movement on the silver screen would be a great experience. Unfortunately the film will never get any kind of theatrical distribution, other than the odd screenings at small festivals.
frown.gif

There's still hope for a DVD of course, although I'm not holding my breath....
Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks