What's new

Star Wars Trilogy VCD's on ebay? (1 Viewer)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Are these movies they sell so frequently on EBAY worth the plastic they are printed on? I know I can play them, but how good are they? Just curious.....thanks.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
First ask if these are the Malaysian or Hong Kong releases.

Why?

Many HK Video CD distributors take great pride on their work. Not kidding here. The Star Wars Video CDs from Hong Kong all have very good video quality(taken from new NTSC masters) with little MPEG1 artifacting(save for during explosions). The soundtrack is also excellent for a Video CD release.

On the other hand, many Malaysian VCD distributors generally do take pride in a release. The Star Wars VCDS from this country are made from the PAL VHS tape masters but the sound is just as good as the HK releases.

Personally, its better to opt for the HK release and deal with burned-in Chinese subtitles rather than get an all English version with poor quality video.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I have the authorized VCDs, and in short: the video is VHS quality and the sound is good stereo. I don't know how much they are asking, but I am trading mine over at the Software for Trade forum (bought LD! :D

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps this question has been answered before, but are the Star Wars VCDs the original or special editions? I don't think I could watch the special editions with all of the cheesy changes that George Lucas put in.

If the VCDs are of the original movies, I'm going to buy the whole set!

Thanks in advance.

Bill the Cat aka BillGato

Brian E

Screenwriter
There are both. The more prevalent release you see on eBay, the one for aroud $25 are from 2000 and are the SE's. For me it was worth spending another $25 and get the non SE LD's and a LD Player.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Video CD releases from DeltaMac Ltd.(Hong Kong) and VideoVan Ltd.(Malaysia) are the new special edition cuts of the film. Presented in pan & scan only for both releases.

The Laserdiscs do have widescreen releases of the films.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Yeah the official VCD's are NOT widescreen. You're better off with the WS VHS tapes IMHO... Why would anyone want to watch only half of StarWars on VCD? :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brian,

What an incredible pan & scan signature.

You make that yourself?

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
to anyone interested in Original Edition WS VCDS:
I'm currently capturing my THX WS LD's on my computer in preparation for burning to DVD. I'd be more than happy to make a few 6-disc VCD sets if a few people were interested - just drop me an email :)
-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks