Star Wars VCDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean_J, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Sean_J

Sean_J Agent

If I bought the Star Wars trilogy on EBAY in VCD format---Is it an OFFICAL format..., is it a bootleg version???

Please help.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There is an official VCD set of the Star Wars movies. However, they are all Pan&Scan and sourced from PAL masters so they're subject to speedup (I think the official Hong Kong discs are sourced from NTSC, but since they're all P&S I never bothered with any of them)

3. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

I would buy those VCDs if they werent in Pan and Scan, and if they have 5.1 surround sound and bonus features

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I wish the VCDs would be in OAR, as well. I would pick them up - better than having them on VHS only.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

VCDs can't have 5.1. Stereo only

6. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Jeff,

Video CDs can have surround sound. Its either MPEG surround or Dolby Surround but VCDs can't have Dolby Digital or dts 5.1 surround sound.

Also, the Hong Kong releases are made from new NTSC masters, albeit they are pan & scan.

The official releases...

DeltaMac Limited - Hong Kong

VideoVan Limited - Malaysia

If you don't see those names and logos on the packages, you have bootlegs. Also, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace HK release had four postcards included in the package.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I got the Malaysian set for the Episode II preview (didn't want to give Lucasfilm money for yet another VHS version.) I'd stick with the widescreen VHS, if I were you. They're a nice set, but Star Wars is a picture where you really need widescreen (not that others aren't, but these make full use of the anamorphic frame, like Moulin Rouge.)