Help with VCDs and DVL 90 please...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rolando, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Feb 19, 2001
    Quick questions, hope you guys can come through again.

I have the DVL 90, got recently just to watch the original Star Wars Trilogy on LD as it should be. (Greedo did NOT shoot first).

I would like to know, does it play VCDs? Anyone know? I had some HK VCDs but sold them recently so can't test and don't want to get new ones until I know for sure.

I know my DVD player has no problem with it but The DVL 90 is at parents and wanted to get them a VCD or 2 if they can view it.

Any VCD recomendations? Should not be many since DVD or LD should be the ONLY way to go but is there something really good unavailable in DVD or LD?
  2. YANG

YANG Second Unit

Feb 10, 1999
    For the best of movie presentation,DVD is always a best choice,follows by laserdisc.VCD's visual quality,depends on how the releasing studio masters,will be different in quality.The worse ones are those that look like filled with small squares,the best choice of display for VCDs are 21inch and lower monitors.

VHS image may even look more better than VCD,but it does not last.VHS audio is far more better than VCD,but it does not last too.

VCD is a better choice over VHS for better durability and for very simple presentation.

There are VCDs from asia that are released in both NTSC and PAL color system,make sure you read the cover for a better choice.

The best secure measure for you is to get a multi system converter,since CTVs sold in the american region are not all multi-system compatible.
  3. Chauncey

Chauncey Stunt Coordinator

Feb 26, 1999
    Your DVL-90 should play VCDs. My Pioneer DVL-909 does, and it is a step below yours on Pioneer's scale.

Good Luck,
  4. Anton Ruzic

Anton Ruzic Stunt Coordinator

Mar 9, 2001
    If you have a CD-Burner you can make yourself a VideoCD and test it in the player.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Apr 24, 1999
    The first combo-players, including the DVL-700, can't play VCDs; I have the 909 which can play them and have seen them play on the 919 too. Not a great format, but it's still nice to be able to play them.