What's new

reliable source for the star wars VCDs wanted, please (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know a reliable source for the Star Wars VCDs, please? I understand they are legitimately available in some countries (if not, my apologies - I'm not trying to encourage bootlegging). Not particularly bothered about delivery times, provided the place is cheap, safe and reliable.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Sorry I can't answer your question Andrew, but on a related note, I was wondering if there's a widescreen version of the trilogy available on VCD? I'm looking for a legit release. I'd prefer the originals but I'd settle for the Special Editions.

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
I bought all my discs from www.eurekamovies.com i had no problem with them, and also they send a letter that certified the VideoCD's are legal.
If you want to save some bucks, use vcdhelp as coupon and you will save 10%. if you buy three or more you get express shipping at no extra cost (fedex, dhl)

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The best quality versions are from Hong Kong.
Brand-new NTSC pan & scan transfers with Dolby Surround audio. They are the special edition cuts of the film though and they have Chinese subtitles.
The Malaysian versions which Eureka Movies, VideoCDs.com and Cool VCDs sell are PAL transfers and are the same ones that were used for the VHS releases. So the quality is not so good.
DeltaMac Limited did a great job on these Video CDs and you can pick them up from www.yesasia.com you'll have to do a search for them.
You can also pick up the Back to the Future Video CDs released by CiC Video from Yes Asia. Again, pan & scan but the Hong Kong distributors take more pride in their work.
Always try to purchase the Hong Kong releases as Malaysia sometimes edits films or the Malay distributors get lazy and use transfers from VHS releases.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
If you are going to use these discs as temporary holdovers until the DVDs are available, I would recommend getting the widescreen VHS versions instead.

The VCDs for the original trilogy are severely lacking as far as image quality goes. I have yet to see them on VCD on OAR either. VHS is the best bet if you do not have access to a LD player.

J

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Or better yet, get the Laserdiscs. You can have a legitimate copy of the movie in widescreen and you can get your hands on the original versions to boot!

I suspect those of you looking for the Trilogy on VCD are trying to save your bucks and hesitate at the thought of getting a LD player, but believe me, if you're a fan of the series at all, and you want the best quality, the LDs rule.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
For those folks recommending the laserdisc releases please remember that Mr. Markworthy recently posted that these are intended as a present. So I doubt he would want to purchase both a player and laserdiscs as a gift for someone.

I again stress the recommendation of YesAsia.com for the Hong Kong releases which have very good video quality for Video CD releases. DeltaMac Limited did a nice job on this release for 20th Century Fox International Home Video.

Ash Williams

Second Unit
I too would go with the widescreen VHS version over the P&S VCD. The quality is quite a bit better. I have a question. Would it be illegal for you to purchase the bootleg DVD's if you already owned a legit copy on VHS? I don't want this to go into the "red tape" area of bootleging so a simple yes or no will be fine. Thanks

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Thanks for the quick reply. Bootlegging is definitely frowned upon on this forum. Any further discussions on the bootlegging issue could end up with lack of posting privaleges. I only say this because we (the HTF) are very visible in the eyes of the studios. Just for the record, I droll over the day I can get my hands on the legit DVD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks