What's new

Star Wars trilogy vcd question (1 Viewer)

Gary.H

Stunt Coordinator
There are alot of SW vcd's on ebay but they all seem to be full frame. Are there any that were made in widescreen? Thanks. Gary.

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I've seen, they're all P&S... :frowning:
Please though, someone prove me wrong (and tell the source of your purchase!!!)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The official (non-bootleg) LucasFilm releases to VCD are all P&S.

This is a real shame too, since these offical VCDs' marked the first real digital video release of the Original Trilogy to the home video market.

If these had just been in Widescreen we would at least have had something official from LucasFilm to pop into our DVD players to "warm us up" for the upcoming theatrical release of Episode II ...

It still amazes the heck out me that we can officially purchase the Original Trilogy in every home video format ever known to man ... except DVD!!!

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Hong Kong Video CD releases by DeltaMac Limited have the best video quality. Albeit, they are in pan & scan only. The HK release is a new NTSC transfer while the Malaysian release is the same PAL transfer used for the VHS tapes.

The sound though on these is quite incredible. Great MPEG surround sound.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
A little off topic, but speaking of vcds, are there any official copies of the Indy trilogy floating around, if so, I would assume that they would be full frame as well?
:angry:

YANG

Screenwriter
"There are no Indy Jones VCDs (authorized ones) in circulation."

Video CD version of the INDY trilogy had been released by a THAI studio,that puts out lots of PARAMOUNT titles in VCD as well.Whether is it official,i had doubts on the releases.The coverart looks very crappy,the image is very blurr...Official release(HK ones for example) are professionally done,unlike the thai covers,which look like PC printer printed images!

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
There have not been any licensed releases of the Indiana Jones films in any country on VideoCD. There were rumors of a short limited release in Hong Kong but these were proven to be false.

YANG

Screenwriter
If you remember STARWARS TRILOGY,most probably the official re-release of INDYs videos will happen after theatrical re-screening of INDY TRILOGY as well.

Maybe LUCASFILM is adding in some more footage OR remastering the whole film just like STARWARS TRILOGY two yrs back...

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I am considering purchasing these http://www.allvcd.com/viewproduct.asp/productid=2757
Star Wars VCD's for a couple of reasons. First, my VCR broke months ago, so my VHS copies are unviewable. Second, I have no desire to start buying laserdisc at the point in history. Thirdly, pan and scan or not, I simply have a real curiosity about VCDs, and since my DVD player can play them, I would like to try them out at least once.
And finally, they are cheap, so what the hell.
But I don't know if these will work, as they are PAL discs. My user manual is rather ambiguous about whether or not it can playback PAL VCDs on my NTSC TV. Can anyone tell me? My plasyer is a Panasonic F65.
Failing that, does anyone have a source for NTSC star wars VCDs?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Go to YesAsia.com and buy the Hong Kong releases.

The VideoCD releases by Deltamac Ltd. are formatted for NTSC and come from the new transfers used for the most recent VHS release.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't sweat it about the VCDS not being in widescreen - they are probably not even VHS quality. Some of the fast action scenes break up too.

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator
Out of curiosity, prior to the DVD release of Episode 1 on DVD, I got the Malaysia Official VCDs (which came in a cool package, with the DVD disc patterns on the CD case covers and a glossy outside slipcase)

Are these PAL? I suppose it would explain the faster audio...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks