What's new

Disney+ Star Wars: Andor with Diego Luna (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Forgive me if this has been mentioned previously, but this is perhaps the most mature Star Wars story we have seen so far, a show aimed more at adults than family. I can definitely see my father really getting into this, even though he is a passive Star Wars fan, but has always had a deep interest in political thrillers.
I think this show would be interesting to non-SW fans. Other than Cassian, there's nothing here that makes me think of Star Wars and even that is due solely to his being in another SW movie.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I think this show would be interesting to non-SW fans. Other than Cassian, there's nothing here that makes me think of Star Wars and even that is due solely to his being in another SW movie.

Uhh, Tie Fighters and an X-Wing at Saw Gerrera's outpost? (J/K :) )

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The waiting is (figuratively) killing me. :)

Thinking about the electrified floor again for a moment, I was wondering if the prisoners could fabricate makeshift slippers using their uniforms to render the floor ineffective? In the real world, cloth is actually a decent electrical insulator. Perhaps the garments have embedded metallic fibers to prevent such a use?

One more shift on the factory floor to go. :)

Also, will it ever be revealed what was being produced? I have to assume that the sharp folks behind this series would anticipate the audience attempting to deduce the product. Will they leave us hanging?

- Walter.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Thinking about the electrified floor again for a moment, I was wondering if the prisoners could fabricate makeshift slippers using their uniforms to render the floor ineffective? In the real world, cloth is actually a decent electrical insulator. Perhaps the garments have embedded metallic fibers to prevent such a use?
I have wondered that often too. Of course, defeating the floor is only a part of the equation. Once that's done, what do you do? Where do you go?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Some basic math...

1 room = 7 tables * 7 men per table = 49 men
2 shifts * 49 men = 98 men (Day / Night Shifts)
7 work rooms per level * 98 men = 686 inmates on one level.

So assuming a max number of guards on a level = 12 the inmates have a 57x numerical advantage.

We know that the elevator platform is not energized and we know that Cassian has been working on cutting open a conduit / pipe in the wall of his cell. My assumptions are that the conduit contains wiring that controls the elevator or wiring to the floor or possibly water.

Clearly they will have to secure weapons from the guards (and maybe footwear for an advance team). Most of the guards only carry the floor control wands so if the floor isn't a factor then those guards (with floor controls) won't be too much trouble to overcome given their numerical superiority. The real issue will be securing blaster(s) and killing the guards that carry those weapons.

I am not sure which level Cassian is on (did they say? I don't recall) but they will have to make their way to the top of their cylinder and secure a shuttle or some form of transport. Who stays and who goes could become an issue in a massive breakout.

Some idle time on my hands. :)

Edit for a google search:

Cassian is situated at 5-2-D (Level 5, Room 2, Day Shift). Which means that the inmates will have to traverse at least two levels to get to the top of the cylinder, assuming 7 is the top level.

- Walter.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
S1E10 - "One Way Out"

Is Tony Gilroy an Allman Brothers fan? :)

After the buildup we see the culmination of the escape plan that has been brewing. So the pipe in Cassian's wall space did contain water. That sequence played out a little bit differently than I anticipated. I initially though that the water would disable the floor; but more logically the circuitry wouldn't be affected until it had been energized, so kudos to the technical staff for the show. I was a little surprised no one grabbed foot wear, but it turns out they really needed swim fins. :)

It was fortuitous for the inmates that the work tables weren't connected to the floor, and even more fortuitous that Narkina 5 wasn't a true water world with no land masses. I had assumed that they would obtain transport at the top of the cylinder and the method of egress really took me (and more importantly Kino) by surprise. I didn't see him die, so he's still alive, damnit!

In other developments we are introduced to Davo Sculden, who it turns out is attempting to become something of a social climber. Will Mon Mothma see her life reflected in choices she makes for her daughter? I don't expect resolution on that plot point this season.

The episode concluded with a meeting between Luthen and Lonnie Jung whom it turns out is a Rebel spy inside the ISB. In some ways the highlight of the episode with Stella Skarsgard delivering a monologue that is worthy of an Emmy nomination. Skarsgard has been a real asset for the series and no scene makes that clearer than the finale of this episode. This sequence really highlighted the cold calculating nature of Luthen and the types of sacrifices he is willing to make in the name of the cause.

Also of special note is Andy Serkis' work as Kino Loy. The episodes that comprise the Narkina 5 portion of the show feature some strong character development for both Kino and Cassian. Their interaction is the key to the changes that the two men experience. We see Cassian assuming more responsibility and becoming something closer to the Cassian of Rogue One. I absolutely loved the role reversal with Cassian prompting Kino "On Program!" Kino's character arc involves him changing from a guy doing his shifts and watching the clock to someone who decides to fight back. Kino, Cassian, and Luthen all have some terrific dialog in this episode. Great writing.

BTW, Cassian did not kill the guards when he had the opportunity. So much for the cold blooded killer stereotyping.

Worth the wait, and an incredible episode with some of the best writing (and monologues) to date. Great stuff!

- Walter.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The prison break episode was incredible.

You know that moment in A New Hope when Luke's torpedo enters the Death Star's exhaust port and Luke gasps? This episode elevated that. I feel that gasp more than ever now.

This episode has lifted the Yavin 4 medal ceremony. It seems even more celebratory.

This episode has made the victory at the end of Return of the Jedi even more triumphant. I never thought I'd say it, but the remastered edition's "celebrations around the galaxy" actually hits now.

10/10

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As I have stated previously, I have been on the fence about this show. It's often frustrating that it's a slow burn with (so far) two exceptional episodes, one of which was this week. However, it has been a good series- just not one I would be in a hurry to watch a second time.

So, I thoroughly enjoyed this week's entry. The one thing all of us are curious about...

At the end we see Cassian Andor running with another escapee. We don't find out whether Kino Loy escapes or not as we find he can't swim. Something tells me he manages to escape and we'll see him before the end of the series.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I came in late to the Disney+ offerings...but what I've seen so far, I'm pretty happy with. Decent production and writing skills, in pare with the brand. I look forward to see where they go with it...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I was away for a few days and just caught up with Andor tonight.

Wow. I’m on record saying I love this show, but this is just extraordinary. All I can say is it’s a good thing we didn’t see this before we saw the 2015-2019 films. We never would’ve accepted The Force Awakens if we’d seen this first. Star Wars has never been this mature, or this intense.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Forgot to mention this earlier...

The writing credits for the three arc episode ( "Narkina 5", "Nobody's Listening", & "One Way Out" ) are as follows:

Beau Willimon, Tony Gilroy, & George Lucas.

Beau Willimon was responsible for bringing House of Cards to the screen and these episodes definitely feel like he made a significant contribution to their screenplays.

- Walter.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The writing credits for the three arc episode ( "Narkina 5", "Nobody's Listening", & "One Way Out" ) are as follows:

Beau Willimon, Tony Gilroy, & George Lucas.
Of course, everyone should realize that Lucas’ credit is just a Based on Star Wars by… credit. He doesn’t appear to have had a hand in writing this episode. In the episode itself, the writing credit is Willimon alone.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Recent episode:
What is up with nerdy Empire dude who seems to have a thing for blonde empire authority lady? Does he have the Jabba the Hots for this lady or what? I don't quite get whether he's true to his word and obsessed over Andor, is a true Empire fanboy, or has a thing for la femme de blonde.
Either way though, I think ultimately he is going to be her undoing. She should have had him shovelling space coal into the bowels of a star destroyer. I think she will regret walking away from him and not leashing him up.

Syril is either going to try to fuck her or try to kill her. Dude's gonna snap one way or the other.

Given that Gilroy has said his show will conclude with an arc that leads directly into Rogue One, I can see Syril's ultimate fate being long-sought validation from the Empire and a promotion...to a post on the Death Star, a week before it gets blown up.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Showing the first two episodes is an interesting strategy. Viewers of season one are aware it takes three episodes to complete the initial setup of the series. By only showing two episodes and essentially leaving viewers (sort of) hanging; will that drive subscriptions?

One of the twitter replies makes the same observation, BTW.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks