What's new

Disney+ Star Wars: Andor with Diego Luna (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
For those interested, Tony Gilroy has done two (absolutely excellent) deep-dive interviews on The Watch podcast to talk about the writing and development-process of the show:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
S1E12 - "Rix Road"

The episode does a great job of wrapping up season one and continues the outstanding writing that informs season one.

The episode most closely resembles episode three with nearly the entirety of the episode taking place on Ferrix. All of the major players are present for the occasion of Maarva's funeral searching for Andor. ( Well, Mon Mothma is busy making arrangements for her daughter Leida, so she is preoccupied on Coruscant. :) )

We get a moment where Cassian is listening to Nemik narrating his manifesto. This was a powerful moment that reinforces the decisions that Cassian is making and works so much better with Alex Lawther's voice over. (Gone, but not forgotten.)

The music plays a large role in this episode in building tension in anticipation of revolt. As an aside, I particularly enjoyed Bix's reaction to the music coming from the procession. (It recalls, for me, a season five episode of Fringe, where Walter Bishop's mind is reinvigorated, and partially healed, through the power of music.)

In one of the more emotional scenes in the episode, Brasso recounts to Cassian, Maarva's final words for Cassian. Very strong scene with some excellent writing.

Even though she is gone, we get a moving speech from Maarva (Fiona Shaw) that serves as the spark that starts the blaze on Ferrix. Nice send off for the character after her passing off screen in episode 11.

Syril and Dedra reunite on Ferrix and the scene screams dysfunction. :) Earlier in the season, I thought that Syril might change allegiances, but that is not going to be happening. How they will work together in season two is something this episode sets up.

Cassian uses the funeral to provide misdirection and rescues Bix from her captivity. Eventually Bix, Brasso, B2EMO, and a few others leave the planet with Cassian promising that he will find them. He doesn't go with them because he has other fish to fry. Cassian intuits that Luthen is on Ferrix to kill him and confronts him and offers him the choice. "Kill me, or take me in." Great final scene with two wonderful actors that sets the stage for season two. (Looking forward to more Luthen next season, BTW.)

The rumored post credits sequence is present; on location with a rather large Imperial construction project.

I am already missing this show. It is going to be one long, seemingly interminable wait for season two. I will definitely revisit this series sometime next year. It is difficult to express just how much I enjoyed this season. Great, mature treatment of the Star Wars universe.

Edit: Forgot to mention this in the initial post...

There are definitely unresolved plot points going into season two. Most notably, the issue of Cassian's missing sister is not raised in the final episode and hasn't been a plot element for much of the season. Luthen and his origins and motivations are not explored in the finale either. Given the quality of the writing for the series, I expect both of these story elements will be explored in season two.

- Walter.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, there was no other way than to kill Skeen. From the second Skeen revealed his plan it was kill or be killed. No way Skeen would have let him live if he declined.

Skeen wasn't intelligent enough to kill him instead of revealing his plan? He wasn't going to kill him. Andor killed him in cold blood with no justification.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Let me guess, you left the theater after A New Hope enraged that Han shot first?
Nope that was totally legitimate. He had a gun on him.

Not to mention, didn't you see Greedo shot first?!!!! (<---- this is just a joke)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Skeen wasn't intelligent enough to kill him instead of revealing his plan? He wasn't going to kill him. Andor killed him in cold blood with no justification.

It wasn't about Skeen's intelligence or lack thereof. Skeen demonstrated to Cassian that he could not be trusted. If he was willing to betray Vel then he was certainly capable of betraying Cassian in the future. Was he going to kill Cassian in that moment. No, because he needed Cassian's skills as a pilot. Would he kill Cassian at a future date to keep all of the loot? Hell to the yeah!

I would also point out that while we don't know how long Skeen had been associated with Vel, it was likely a lot longer than his time with Cassian, which further underscores that he could not be trusted.

- Walter.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
What a wonderfully smart and well written, directed and acted show. I wasn't sure how I felt about it in the first two eps but I am hooked now. I've actually enjoyed all of the Star Wars movies and shows but this is my favorite of them all. Season 2 won't come soon enough.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
One other brief thought...

Luthen's response at the conclusion of the episode, while obvious based on our knowledge of how things ultimately unfold, recalls his dialog with Lonni at the conclusion of episode ten - "I need all the heroes I can get."

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
…And THAT’S how you build a fuckin’ Death Star.

As has been pointed out on at least one YouTube reaction to episode 12, not only were the prisoners on Narkina 5 manufacturing components for the Death Star, they were building components that were part of the main weapon assembly. Considering the events of Rogue One, an ironic detail for us the audience, that Cassian will never know.

- Walter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've been binging the series in time to catch the finale this week, and have been enjoying this immensely. In my mind the subtitle is "The Making of A Rebel" as we see how Andor ultimately (by Luthen's admonishment) is able to "give it all at once to something real" by the end of Rogue One. The character development is fascinating as we see how he moves from cynicism and taking no sides to becoming a true believer fueled by losses and trauma at the hands of the Empire. The other intriguing part is seeing him on this odyssey where he encounters people vested in the rebellion for varying reasons. No one person sways him, but everyone counts along the journey until he makes up his own mind it's the right thing to do. Most strongly held beliefs evolve, it's not a light switch, and it's awesome to see that acknowledged and given the time to be shown.

Yo, when did Serkis get jacked?? Gollum? More like SWOLE-lum, amirite?
I believe he got jacked to play Ulysses Klau in Avengers Age of Ultron. He's even more noticeably buff in Black Panther.
Also, not sure what that club-like weapon that Luthen was carrying might be, but I am fairly confident we will see it being employed somewhere down the road. (During his entry to Saw Gerrera's outpost. "Put it down or give it back.")
I am pretty sure that was the walking staff he was walking with in Ferrix when we first meet him. When he gets into town he retracts it. I haven't seen the finale yet, but I'm hoping we get to see him use it for more than walking after we see what his ship can do.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
A line that was uttered about being 'cheaper than droids' got me thinking.

We really haven't seen many droids at all in this series, have we? I find this especially odd since the prequels had droids running about everywhere - and the prequels precede Andor by a bit.
Just catching up. Watched Episode 9 tonight.

I believe it is in The Bad Batch where they first had the initiative to start replacing droids. First there with stormtroopers, but presumably that carried on for labor as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bolorkay
Recent bookmarks