What's new

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
This is the first version I had:

il_fullxfull.1700907711_45vd.jpg

Later on I picked up the widescreen (silver trim) special edition box set. About 15 years ago my father in law gave me his laserdisc player along with the original release laserdiscs of the first three films. One day i'd like to pick up that Definitive collection on laserdisc.

One day I'll be selling it. :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the original release in 1982 was rental only, with a serial number on the box and the tape itself, until it was re-released in 1985, I think. And prior to that were the super-8 digest versions.

My family got our first VHS player in 1983, and I remember Circuit City showing off the format with "Star Wars"!

The notion that I could watch big movies at home anytime I wanted blew my teenage mind! :D

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
This is the first version I had:

il_fullxfull.1700907711_45vd.jpg

Later on I picked up the widescreen (silver trim) special edition box set. About 15 years ago my father in law gave me his laserdisc player along with the original release laserdiscs of the first three films. One day i'd like to pick up that Definitive collection on laserdisc.
I still have that set, along with the first widescreen laserdisc releases, which I actually think looked better than the subsequent remastered set - they weren't DNRd and the colour looked closer to what I remember theatrical prints looking like.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At least they'll have Baby Yoda.

I wrote this to a friend as a joke but it actually kinda works:

This has been the public reaction to Star Wars in my lifetime:

1983: Ewoks ruined Star Wars!
1997: Greedo ruined Star Wars!
1999: Jar-Jar ruined Star Wars!
2002: Hayden Christensen ruined Star Wars!
2005: George Lucas ruined Star Wars!
2012: Disney ruined Star Wars!
2015: J.J. Abrams ruined Star Wars!
2017: Rian Johnson ruined Star Wars!
2018: Kathleen Kennedy ruined Star Wars!
2019: BABY YODA! OMG SO CUTE!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
GOUT Star Wars never got a 5,1 remix (it did get a 2.0 surround remix for the Definitive Edition though). I guess when the Faces releases came out, Lucasfilm wasn't interested in remastering the 4.1 six-tracks since they were already onto the Special Editions and those were just a stopgap reissue.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I had the box set that was wide screen, I don't remember if it was just stereo or 5.1 sound, that was an awesome set.

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
I'm 99% sure my Super8 was in color - and I know it had audio. We actually rented a sound projector once to watch it that way!

Wish I still had it - probably worth $$$ now!

Actually it's only worth about $10 - 15 on eBay and that's with original box! They come up quite often, but most are printed on Eastman Kodak and are color-faded. The full length scope feature from Derann Films fetches $1,500+.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Ah, yes, the "Faces" box set. I know plenty of SW fans that refuse to part with them. They probably had the best cover art of any home video release of anything Star Wars, which is probably another good reason to keep them.

starwarsthxvhs.jpg

Plus they had those Leonard Maltin interviews with George Lucas.

The Faces VHS box, that was letterboxed, was the first time I saw the THX trailers on VHS or Laserdisc outside of seeing them in a theater. Those were the days. As much as I love 4KUHD I miss seeing that stuff before a movie at home.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Actually it's only worth about $10 - 15 on eBay and that's with original box! They come up quite often, but most are printed on Eastman Kodak and are color-faded. The full length scope feature from Derann Films fetches $1,500+.

Okay - now I'm less upset I no longer have the Super8 reel! :D

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
1983: Ewoks ruined Star Wars!
1997: Greedo ruined Star Wars!
1999: Jar-Jar ruined Star Wars!
2002: Hayden Christensen ruined Star Wars!
2005: George Lucas ruined Star Wars!
2012: Disney ruined Star Wars!
2015: J.J. Abrams ruined Star Wars!
2017: Rian Johnson ruined Star Wars!
2018: Kathleen Kennedy ruined Star Wars!
2019: BABY YODA! OMG SO CUTE!

Brilliant. I'm totally stealing this!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks