What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Star Trek VI C.E. New cut? (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
But what would her motivation have been, after all they'd gone through together?
Saavik may hate the Klingons for what they did to David. She was fairly close to him. Also, if she was half Romulan, she would already hate the Klingons!

Ric

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
My bigger concern with the galley...why so well armed in there and...mashed potatoes by hand? :D

Sign me up for ditching the Scooby ending... "we would have succeeded if it wasn't for those meddling senior citizens..."

Phil

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I am really looking forward to the new version of Star Trek VI. Paramount did a great job with V's print. I was surprised at the effort after not deciding to do the new cut. The new V print was a nice surprise though.

Where is the info coming from that Meyer has revised 2 scenes? None of the Paramount announcements have said anything about this. I would think Paramount would mention this for marketing purposes.

I have the DVD preordered and am looking forward to it.

DaveMK

Agent
The info is coming from the StarTrek.com official announcement. It says disc 1: the disc contains two scene revisions by director Nicholas Meyer. Also the British film board which has rated it calls it a "re-edited version" as opposed to the same video version available in Britain since 1992.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
If memory serves, all previous home video versions of Trek VI have been called "Special Home Video Version." I wouldn't be surprised if "re-edited version" is simply a more descriptive label for the same product. I could be wrong, but we won't know for sure until January.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck

Exactly. During the long dull offduty times when the ship is traversing point A to point B (95% of the time), hobbies are encouraged, and cooking would be one of them. The ship undoubtedly has hydroponics areas where some area would be devoted to spices, vegetables, etc.

Rolando

Screenwriter
So in all this still no confirmation of what cut we are getting? Theatrical? Video? or a (OH BOY) 3rd cut of the movie?

startrek.com gives some specs:

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...icle/3635.html

but not what scenes they are talking about when they say 2 were revised by the director nor do they mention what aspect ratio. I am curious to know if we are getting the theater AR of 2.35 or 2.0 of the DVD release.

Anyone know which is the Director's preferred AR?

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I too am curious to see which version is being referred to here, if it is what we've seen previously on video or a new tweaked version.

When the extended cut came out on VHS and laserdisc back in '93, it had on the jacket the blurb, "This special home video version of the film has three minutes of never-before-seen footage." (Or something to that effect.) Yet this statement was deleted from the previous DVD jacket.

I'm thinking that if the running time is 113 minutes as listed in promo specs for the new DVD set, it'll probably be the previous extended cut with a new anamorphic widescreen transfer. If we were getting a newly tweaked version of the film, we'd have all heard about it long before now.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
When the extended cut came out on VHS and laserdisc back in '93, it had on the jacket the blurb, "This special home video version of the film has three minutes of never-before-seen footage." (Or something to that effect.) Yet this statement was deleted from the previous DVD jacket.
I think that's only because by the time the DVD came out, they could no longer say that it was "never-before-seen footage". It had, by that time, in fact been seen. :)

Joel

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There is region 2 info for Star Trek 6 here

I didn't see anything there about what, if any, new cuts there are or if it's the same cut from the home video versions. I do like the cover art.

Nelson

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That's some nice packaging on the R2. Too bad they're not using those over here in R1-land.

Spero D

Second Unit
I agree that is some nice artwork. But then R2 has always gotten better packaging like the TNG, DS9 sets.

Spero D.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not according to Robin Curtis. She has previously stated that her agent inquired into the possibility of playing Saavik in Star Trek VI (when the script still called for Saavik), but that Meyer had specified that he was only interested in Alley for the role.
That's what I thought the story was, too.

With all due respect to Robin Curtis, who gave a wonderful performance in ST3, Saavik was Nick Meyer's character. (Gene Roddenberry at one point objected to Saavik being used in ST6, and Meyer was furious that Roddenberry was telling him what he could and couldn't do with a character that he invented.) I can understand Meyer either wanting to do it with the actress he cast, or not at all. And he did want Kim Cattral for ST2, so after Kirstie Alley passed on ST6, Cattral was probably the only actress in Meyer's mind for the part.

I believe the Saavik in ST2, as written by Meyer and portrayed by Alley, would have been capable of the treason that Valeris commits in ST6. After ST6 and Robin Curtis' performance, I don't believe that version of Saavik would commit treason - the way the character progresses in ST3, and ultimately, decides to stay on Vulcan at the beginning of ST4, makes it unlikely and probably unbelievable that she would commit treason, or even be in a position to do so.

John Madia

Second Unit
I just saw on trektoday a link to the front/back coverart at: http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=3002

It says on the back that the DVD contains two scene revions by Nicholas Meyer.

I'll be picking this up even though I still have yet to watch my copies of II-IV. I'll probably watch them once I get the season sets of TOS. I'll just pretend that Star Trek V never happened. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
John-Thanks for the update on the DVD Answers page. That DVD Answers page link you posted lists the release date for this movie as February 27, 2004. I have it in my notations as January 27. DVD Empire lists it as January 27th too. I hope it is a DVD Answers typo!

You might want to watch those Star Trek DVD's II to IV when you get VI in case there is any defects with those!

Nelson;)

StevenFC

Second Unit
I just hoped they fixed that stupid split screen effect with Kirk and the changeling chick right before Kirk and McCoy are beamed off the prison planet. Worst split screen effect I've ever seen. Surely they could do a digital blend on the line were the two frames meet--couldn't they? If they didn't fix that then I'm not going to be happy.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks