What's new

Pre-Order Star Trek: The Original 4-Movie Collection (4k UHD Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I put a Preorder in at Deep Discount and was confused by the fact they're listing it as Backordered. Then I was reading some random news articles on my phone this morning and came across a piece by The Digital Bits talking about Paramount having a tough time meeting demand. I don't care if I have to wait a few weeks to get my copy - reading that bit of news put a huge smile on my face. That means physical media isn't dying after all :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I put a Preorder in at Deep Discount and was confused by the fact they're listing it as Backordered. Then I was reading some random news articles on my phone this morning and came across a piece by The Digital Bits talking about Paramount having a tough time meeting demand. I don't care if I have to wait a few weeks to get my copy - reading that bit of news put a huge smile on my face. That means physical media isn't dying after all :)
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but there are replication issues across the industry with practically every physical disc release these days. There's far less supply than demand in many cases, especially for high profile titles. This doesn't necessarily mean that there's a huge swell in people buying physical media.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but there are replication issues across the industry with practically every physical disc release these days. There's far less supply than demand in many cases, especially for high profile titles. This doesn't necessarily mean that there's a huge swell in people buying physical media.

No bubble to burst. I'm aware of all the replication issues - most of my preorders across various e-tailers and boutique shops are delayed because of it ;) As far as there not being demand, I don't know how you could miss the endless announcements not just from the Majors but from the many independent boutique labels that exist worldwide. OK, maybe things aren't on the same level as the peak DVD days but there's certainly a LOT going on right now. My wallet being empty is proof of that :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I am in agreement with this. At the same time, it is nice to see the level of announcements coming from the studios and the boutique labels. So far, we aren't at death's door yet when it comes to physical media...not yet.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Does anyone have an inkling when DeepDiscount might be getting their stock? Trying to get some idea when I can expect this.

With all these replication issues, I wonder if discs that are coming in December will make it in time for the holidays.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
For what it's worth, Amazon charged my credit card, and while not yet shipped, gives a delivery date of Sept 21-22.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I pass a Best Buy on the way home from work everyday, so I went online and it was available. I chose in-store pick-up over curbside because that parking lot is really awkward, so I parked on the side and walked around. They were quite disorganized in there, no one quite knew what was going on with in-store pick-up apparently, so it took longer than I would have liked, but they found it for me. I am very much looking forward to watching this weekend!
Usually you go to the customer (dis)service desk and tell them you have order pickup. They have started to "require" you to have the bar code they emailed you (along with a photo ID) but some times they will let you slide with just the photo ID.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At my local BB, the best pickup option for me is their curbside service. They have plenty of parking and it's really quick without having to leave your vehicle. The real test will come this holiday season.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have the massive three disc soundtrack that came out a few years ago and it’s incredible but I’m super excited to be able to watch the movie that way!
Once La La Land said that they were almost gone, I bought a copy too. Nothing makes me jump on something faster than saying "It's gonna sell out soon!"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have the massive three disc soundtrack that came out a few years ago and it’s incredible but I’m super excited to be able to watch the movie that way!

Too bad it's lossy DD 2.0.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the isolated score on the "Breakdown" BD due out Tuesday is TrueHD 2.0!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This discussion of the La La Land 3 disc Star Trek The Motion Picture score has me thinking. And I realize it’s a topic better suited for the Star Trek music thread. I own it too and I’m listening to it now! I’m listening on the hi-fi rather then from Apple HomePods. It’s a great sounding disc!

I’m thinking I need to back it up since it’s OOP. I’m using iTunes and did an ALAC rip of the disc for listening purposes. Part of me likes to buy a second copy for back-up, I didn't do that. I see copies on eBay for $150 to 250 dollars. Maybe some day, La La Land will do a reissue if they still have the rights or can contractually do that now that the film has finally been released on 4K disc. I know there are ways to do a back-up of the discs but that’s not something to discuss here. :) Also, I wonder if there’s anyway for this 3 disc set to ever get a high resolution release as FLAC files for purchase?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My copy arrived from Amazon today.

The sticker on the shrink wrap indicated the discs were made in Germany and the package was assembled stateside.

I would bet (dollars to donuts, as someone used to say) that rather than any nefarious scheme or poor planning by the studio, it just got held up given the many worldwide issues with manufacturing and shipping across the board. Even if the discs shipped from the German plant on schedule (assuming no shortage of replication supplies and raw materials, a big assumption), there is a worldwide shortage of international shipping containers due to a worldwide shortage of dock workers to unload and process those shipments - basically containers aren’t being emptied in time so they’re not moving to their next destination in time to make their scheduled dates. The discs could have easily gotten caught up in that.

Then, on the U.S. side, there are shortages of labor for the kind of plant work that’s necessary to turn giant spindles of discs into fully packaged box sets. There are further shortages in domestic shipping logistics. And then on top of that, the areas hit by Hurricane Ida a few weeks ago are regions that just so happen to have some of the biggest shipping and warehouse hubs in the country.

It looks like the perfect storm of everything lining up to go wrong and cause delays.

So here it is just a couple weeks late and in my hands. For a release that I half thought would never happen, much less in a pandemic, I am in full on Pollyanna mode and thrilled to have this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks