What's new

Blu-ray Review Star Trek: The Next Generation Season One Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I got mine about 10 days ago.

This is from the Digital Bits regarding TNG set and how to tell if you got the fixed edition or not...

Also today, a LOT of you Trek fans have been e-mailing to ask how you'll be able to spot the fixed versions of CBS' Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One Blu-ray set on store shelves. We've just heard back from CBS and have the official answer: There will be "a red delta shield symbol near the top of the O-ring spine" on the packaging of the fixed versions. In addition, the corrected discs will have the same delta shield symbol in front of the disc number on each. We expect the fixed sets to start arriving in stores over the next few weeks - certainly well before the time Season Two streets on 12/4. So there you go.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Gary Seven said:
This is from the Digital Bits regarding TNG set and how to tell if you got the fixed edition or not...
Also today, a LOT of you Trek fans have been e-mailing to ask how you'll be able to spot the fixed versions of CBS' Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One Blu-ray set on store shelves. We've just heard back from CBS and have the official answer: There will be "a red delta shield symbol near the top of the O-ring spine" on the packaging of the fixed versions. In addition, the corrected discs will have the same delta shield symbol in front of the disc number on each. We expect the fixed sets to start arriving in stores over the next few weeks - certainly well before the time Season Twohttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1
streets on 12/4. So there you go.

That's good news. At least if you order a set online, you'll be able to easily identify and return it unopened if it's the uncorrected discs.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
MattAlbie60 said:
Has anyone else not actually gotten their replacement discs yet?
I even e-mailed when everyone reported that theirs were showing up and was told "They should be there in a few days," but still nothing.
I got mine on Friday.
A friend of mine is still waiting for his.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I received my replacement discs promptly, including the postcard with the rear bridge window artwork.
Looking forward to picking up the Season 2 set, and then getting the replacement discs for that one.
Just kidding on the last...

Roger_R

Second Unit
I ordered the US set from Amazon and had it shipped to Norway. I asked if it was possible for them to ship to me in the first mail I sent. That was promptly ignored in the form mail I got as a reply, asking me for my address and the ID numbers of the discs. I sent them that and asked again, but got no reply. That was the first of August. 23 days later, I got another e-mail titled "STNG INTERNATIONAL", asking me to send my info to another e-mail address. I did, and was told that that e-mail was only for UK customers.
On the 31st, I was sent a list of people to contact in different regions, including Norway. Again, I wrote down all my info and clicked "Send". A second later, I had a reply in my inbox from their mail server, telling me it is an unknown e-mail address.
I guess if you live in the wrong country, you can just forget about replacements. :rolleyes:

Zod5000

Auditioning
Real Name
General Zod
Good news for Canadians. I ordered my set from bestbuy.ca when they had a 15% off sale (must of been labour day?). They shipped it last Friday and it showed up today. It's the corrected set. Its got the delta symbols on the packaing and blurays. UPC code is yellow. This seems to match what digitalbits said the corrected sets would like. I'll have to play some of the episodes later to doublecheck.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
I had pre-ordered through Amazon.com. Amazon has replaced the first set with the corrected set. I had to request it, however; despite anything anyone may have read to the contrary, Amazon.com is not automatically replacing the sets. They also require the old sets be returned at their expense.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd chime in guys regarding the replacement discs.
Instead of calling, I emailed them. The reply email asked for the numbers on the discs which I sent on September 6 and today, exactly 2 weeks later, I got the discs. That sure is a very cool postcard too with the briefing room artwork on back! Getting card was a really great bonus!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The only downside of the postcard I can find is having to explain what it is to everyone who sees it. Then I'll have to plug in an episode and show the exact moment where the drawing is on screen. Then my guests are going to be so enamored with the look of the titles sequence we'll have to watch an episode. And maybe not just one episode. Maybe multiple episodes...

Yeah, terrible problem to have, I know.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I thought the replacement was handled very well, although you have to shake your head at the QC when 4 out 5 discs need replacing. Not quite sure what to do with the postcard, but it was a nice bonus.
I hadn't seen any of these episodes in over a decade, and aside from a few cringe moments was pleasantly surprised. I just hope S2 comes down in price a lot before street date.

Real Name
Patrick E Hannon
I did not think it would happen, but I actually received my replacement discs way out here in Newfoundland, Canada! A tip of the hat to Paramount.
Usually replacements and offers from the US do not apply here....or PO Box addresses do not apply and so on. I did the e-mail option soon after it was offered and it took a few weeks but they arrived.
Unfortunately I have already watched the set, so I guess I will see the new discs the next time I watch! I have way too many TV Blu-ray (and DVD) series sets needing to be viewed to return the this one for a while.
Cheers,

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I saved Encounter At Farpoint to watch on the replacement discs and I will likely play some of the other replaced episodes that I already watched when I do my ironing. Though I have ready seen Farpoint when the teaser disc came out, but that was a while ago. :). Now I have 3 copies of that pilot episode.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /t/322473/star-trek-the-next-generation-season-one-blu-ray-review/150#post_3978957
I saved Encounter At Farpoint to watch on the replacement discs and I will likely play some of the other replaced episodes that I already watched when I do my ironing. Though I have ready seen Farpoint when the teaser disc came out, but that was a while ago. . Now I have 3 copies of that pilot episode.

If you want to send me one for Xmas i'll gracefully accept it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was patient. I waited for a price drop and that happened a
few short weeks ago when Amazon offered the first 3 seasons
of Star Trek for about $50 each.

This is the way I am going to purchase these sets moving
forward. If I hold out a few short months after release date there
seems to be an opportunity to own these sets for much less.

In any event...

It took me a long time to become a fan of Next Generation, but
once I did, I was hooked.

The problem is, I sort of came in at the middle of things, around
the time that The Best of Both Worlds elevated the series to new
heights.

In other words, I missed the early years.

Just now having completed Season One (and I did it in a little over
a week), I must say that I am really surprised this show made it to
Season Two. Many of the Season One episodes are pretty bad. Of
course, there are two or three that stand out (such as the Private Eye
Holodeck or any episode with "Q"), but there are some real clunkers.

Just started Season Two today, and the first episode has me a little
worried as it deals with Deanna having an alien baby. I turned it off
just to come here and reflect on Season One. A quick side note: I was
very surprised to see Whoopie Goldberg in the first episode of Season 2.
For some reason I didn't think she came to the series until much later.

Anyhow....

Very impressed with the quality of the Blu-ray presentation. A little
disappointed in the preserved aspect ratio. I know we are talking about
a time before widescreen television, but I sit and wonder just how much
better this show would have looked in full-screen glory. I don't quite
understand how the promos are widescreen, and since I have only seen
a few of them (I stopped selecting them almost immediately), I don't know
what damage is caused by attempting to even attempt to convert these
shows to widescreen. I would suspect it can't be done.

So at this point, I am on my way to discovering the early years of TNG.
Hoping that the second season fares better than the first --- though for
this series to last 7 seasons, I imagine there was nowhere but up from
this point.

See you in about a week or so in the Season 2 review thread as soon
as I am done.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for the recap and your thoughts on Season 1 Ron! I am looking forward to watching season 1 as soon as time allows in my schedule!

I saw your comments on season 2 and look forward to reading your comments on Season 3.

I attended the Fandom theater event for TNG season 2 and really enjoyed it.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Gary Seven said:
I got mine about 10 days ago.This is from the Digital Bits regarding TNG set and how to tell if you got the fixed edition or not...Also today, a LOT of you Trek fans have been e-mailing to ask how you'll be able to spot the fixed versions of CBS' Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One Blu-ray set on store shelves. We've just heard back from CBS and have the official answer: There will be "a red delta shield symbol near the top of the O-ring spine" on the packaging of the fixed versions. In addition, the corrected discs will have the same delta shield symbol in front of the disc number on each. We expect the fixed sets to start arriving in stores over the next few weeks - certainly well before the time Season Two streets on 12/4. So there you go.
Does anyone know if Amazon has been shipping the fixed set?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Without having to backlog...

What was the problem with the Season One set and is Paramount
issuing replacement disc(s)?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Ronald Epstein said:
Without having to backlog...

What was the problem with the Season One set and is Paramount
issuing replacement disc(s)?
I had added comments in my original review (which I will paste here:)

UPDATE: An issue with episodes on discs 1, 3 and 4 has been discovered. Please see the note from CBS below. We will keep this thread updated with the latest updates and with the details of the new sets on store shelves.

Dear Star Trek Fans,

We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment.

We are quickly working to remedy the situation. Replacement discs (Disc 1, 3 and 4) will be made available free of charge. Please email [email protected] for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 877-DELUXE6 (877-335-8936) between 8am to 6pm Pacific, Monday-Friday.

We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

It was so long ago, that I would be astonished of the Amazon sets were not the corrected batch. Paramount/CBS were extremely good...and quick...about handling the replacements back then.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads-up on this audio issue. I definitely have a first run issue of this set. I thought this was resolved shortly after the first season was issued? Is this that same issue or something new? I vaguely remember I requested the replacement discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks