What's new

Blu-ray Review Star Trek: The Next Generation Season One Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Kevin EK /t/322473/star-trek-the-next-generation-season-one-blu-ray-review/90#post_3959434
On a Borg ship?

"These are the voyages of the Borg ship Assimilate. Resistance is Futile."

Put a sexy Borg queen in the show and i'll watch it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I finally called for my replacement discs this afternoon. The lady on the other end of the phone couldn't have been nicer even when I had a devil of a time finding the number on the back of the disc. The entire call lasted a maximum of three minutes, maybe less.

Kudos to everyone involved for getting correct discs pressed and ready to go so quickly, not to mention the really great customer service.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
I think the math is a little faulty.  Release week price at Best Buy was $60.  I got mine for $55 with the Upgrade and Save promotion.  Even at the $60 price point, I'm spending about $420 on all seven seasons.  I remember release week prices on the DVD sets were $99.99.  (I know, I got them too.)  Even right now, the Amazon price is a tick under $79...or $553 total.  Still a far cry off from the $700 quoted above.
I didn't keep receipts of the purchases, but at that time I was one of those "I've got to have it now" fans and didn't really shop around as carefully as I do now. Trust me, I paid full retail and even though this was many years ago, I'm pretty sure each season was $100. Remember seeing them on Amazon a few years ago for about $50, looks like they've raised their prices.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh, no doubt. I know I paid $100 ($99.99) for a majority of the DVD sets (TNG and DS9). I'm just disputing the cost of the seven TNG BD seasons.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I found a receipt for my season 7 DVD set of the TNG and it was $99.99. That was the price during release week. It's been nice that the recent DVD and high definition releases of Star Trek TOS had been discounted on release week.
I guess the TNG releases back in those days were not seen as crowd drawers, so prices were not made more attractive. And today, Amazon has made a huge dent into the B&M profits, so it's nice to see they have to be competitive with Amazon as they duke it out on pricing. And that Star Trek is seen as popular again, so that makes the retailers want to sell it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Agreed, Nelson. I think the other piece to remember is TV on DVD was fairly new at that point. Seasons of X Files were $100 as well and this particular segment of the market wasn't nearly as developed as it is now.

Back then, getting an entire season-plus extras!-of a TV shows in one relatively small package was a novelty. Today, the trick is to get that package even smaller. (Going back to X Files, I bought the first few fold out season sets...and then redipped when the seasons were released in standard keepcases. That saved a LOT of room.)

Just look at the TOS BD cases-even the smaller S3 package. I think it's bigger than the TNG S1 package for roughly the same amount of content.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Jason_V said:
I finally called for my replacement discs this afternoon.  The lady on the other end of the phone couldn't have been nicer even when I had a devil of a time finding the number on the back of the disc.  The entire call lasted a maximum of three minutes, maybe less.
Kudos to everyone involved for getting correct discs pressed and ready to go so quickly, not to mention the really great customer service.
Great to hear. Do you have the number handy? It would be good to have it here in the thread.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn /t/322473/star-trek-the-next-generation-season-one-blu-ray-review/120#post_3960657
Great to hear. Do you have the number handy? It would be good to have it here in the thread.

There's also an e-mail address, but I figure it was easier for me to just call.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I just called the number to get a status on the replacement discs. Unfortunately, they have changed the shipping date. The new shipping date is... unknown. Apparently, they have not received information as to the new ship date other than the delivery has been delayed. A bummer indeed as I have not watched discs 3 and 4 yet as I was waiting for the replacements.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've been so busy with other stuff, I forgot to contact them for replacement discs! This is a good reminder.
I have watched nearly every episode. These look great. However, I have noticed some episodes exhibits noise. I looks like film grain. Sometimes it's higher then others. Not an issue or problem or complaint on my part. Color and detail are massively improved over the DVD's.But film quality in the 1960's must have been better as The Original Series film quality, lighting and so on are so much better!
I saw the episode We'll Always Have Paris. I was doing my ironing anyway, so I played that! Not a bad episode. It was one I felt was weak. I liked the bit with the fencing. Michelle Phillips looked good then.I blinked and missed the few seconds of upconverted SD video in this episode. I'll have to play it again to look for it. And I watched the drug dependence episode too. Another weak one. But it was not bad upon viewing after all these years.
A few evenings ago I watched Conspiracy. Remmick's demise was even more gory in HD! :) And I always enjoyed The Neutral Zone and that looked great.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Nelson Au said:
I have watched nearly every episode. These look great. However, I have noticed some episodes exhibits noise. I looks like film grain. Sometimes it's higher then others. Not an issue or problem or complaint on my part. Color and detail are massively improved over the DVD's.But film quality in the 1960's must have been better as The Original Series film quality, lighting and so on are so much better!
Thank you for validating that, because I think some episodes look noisy at times, too. To me, it looks more like noise than film grain. If it really looked like film grain, I wouldn't be bothered by it at all, but to me it looks like noise. There are some blu-rays I own that show a lot of film grain, like Butch Cassidy and Smokey and The Bandit, but on those films it looks like film grain, not like noise. I am really not bothered by it in STNG, I'm more perplexed. There hasn't been much, if any, discussion about it, which is why I was happy to see this post validate what I was seeing!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sure Bryan. The episode where noise seems to really stand out is Skin of Evil. I'd have to go back to be sure of the others. I think there was some noise in Conspiracy and The Neutral Zone and a few others.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Dave Vaughn said:
Just made the call. They said once the discs come it they'll be mailed in 5-7 business days.
Can't believe we're still dealing with replacement discs. I don't buy nearly as much as I used to, but apparently there are still quality control and other issues still happening.
I remember when you had to return your original disc, cut the barcode off the package, provide receipts, etc. Was hoping that kind of thing was behind us by now.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Stan said:
Can't believe we're still dealing with replacement discs. I don't buy nearly as much as I used to, but apparently there are still quality control and other issues still happening.
I remember when you had to return your original disc, cut the barcode off the package, provide receipts, etc. Was hoping that kind of thing was behind us by now.
No returning of discs or receipts this time, but my eyes were blurry for over two hours after trying to read that infinitesimal code on the disc. :eek:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
I'm just amazed to see a company acknowledge (let alone correct) a problem this quickly. Yeah, it sucks that it happened but this has to be one of the quickest fixes in home video history.
There's a number of Trek threads so maybe this is old news but I just saw this info over at The Digital Bits:
Now then... we've gotten word that shipments of CBS's fixed Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One Blu-rays have been pushed into early September. The reason is that it seems one of the episodes on Disc Five was found to be missing a visual effect, so that's being fixed as well. We'll let you know when shipments start hitting the mail.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Saw that yesterday, too. Awesome that they're correcting that as well, as small of a problem as it may be. I wonder what effect it actually is?

EdG

Stunt Coordinator

I believe it's this shot from "Heart of Glory".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pit 5445