What's new

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If the “Countdown” comic remains canon (and it was co-written by Kurtzman ten years ago, so I believe it is), Data’s full memories and personality resurface in the B4 body, it just took more time than expected. He was captain of the Enterprise when Romulus was destroyed.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Can somebody do a timeline leading up to what this timeline is?
I guess from the end of TNG up to the 15 years ago today?

With the movies mixed in, the Kelvin line I’m a little confused trying to remember it .

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is set in the prime timeline approximately 20 years after we last saw the TNG crew on the big screen in Star Trek Nemesis.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeh I think I got that part of it but I’m trying to fit in the part that people are saying is connected to Kelvin TL.

So I’m just wondering what is in that 20 years. Anyone have that?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That’s where we get a hint from the 2009 movie “Star Trek”. Old Spock and the Romulan villain Nero in that movie come from the prime universe, sometime after “Nemesis” but before this new show. A supernova destroys the planet Romulus in the Prime Universe. Old Spock was supposed to use the red matter to stop it, but he couldn’t get there in time.

So this new show will take place in the wake of the destruction of Romulus, which was shown briefly in the ‘09 movie.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don’t have a link handy but word floating around today says Brent Spiner will return as Data in the series.

A rumor obviously, but keep in mind that Spiner was hired to be in season 4 of Supergirl and abruptly dropped out last summer, citing “family obligations.”

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’d love to think two are connected, but that seems a little far off as to why.

Supergirl Season 4 finished airing already. Picard is just starting to film now. It seems unlikely that Spiner would have had to bow out of Supergirl, considering that show would have finished shooting before Picard even began shooting.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There's a lot of articles online-which I haven't read-pointing to Spiner having a guest role. I've always maintained this part, so I'm not changing my own opinions:

With the time period being after TNG's era, it makes sense for any number of cameos or guest stars to pop up. This will be the farthest in the future we've gone with a long form Trek series. We don't need someone popping up every week, but if the story calls for an appearance of the Titan, why not have Frakes and Sirtis guest star, as an example?

Spiner is set to play a character in the Penny Dreadful sequel series as of earlier this month, so he may not be available. Who knows.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't put much faith in the Spiner rumor. Obviously, it's something everyone would like to see, but that doesn't mean it will happen. Plus, the show is supposed to run three seasons, so perhaps there is time to fit in the other crew members in the future, if not this season. No one should get their hopes up that this will be TNG II. If they appear, it will likely be a one-time appearance.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To clarify what I said earlier, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Spiner here. I just don’t think there’s a connection between his leaving Supergirl and whether or not he does appear here.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
That’s where we get a hint from the 2009 movie “Star Trek”. Old Spock and the Romulan villain Nero in that movie come from the prime universe, sometime after “Nemesis” but before this new show. A supernova destroys the planet Romulus in the Prime Universe. Old Spock was supposed to use the red matter to stop it, but he couldn’t get there in time.

So this new show will take place in the wake of the destruction of Romulus, which was shown briefly in the ‘09 movie.
Yup. The Hobus supernova (which destroys Romulus right before Spock Prime can deploy the red matter) occurs in the year 2387, and Picard leads a massive rescue-armada there presumably right around the same time-period (which is presumably what the line of dialogue in the trailer refers to -- "Fifteen years ago, today, you led us out of the darkness").

So if it's fifteen years exactly since 2387, we're probably looking at a timeframe of 2402 A.D. (three years into the 25th Century) for the new series, here.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think that’s the most likely explanation for that line. However, I think it is open ended enough without context that it could instead mean, “15 years ago, you saved us from Shinzon” (Nemesis).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Things are a apparently a bit troubled with the production of this show....

I have no idea if that stuff is true, but I have seen a lot of fans complaining about that person's webshow, saying it's often unfounded and rumor-heavy.

Also, seeing how Kurtzman just gave a lengthy update on all the Trek shows in production or coming soon, I doubt very much he is being fired.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I have no idea if that stuff is true, but I have seen a lot of fans complaining about that person's webshow, saying it's often unfounded and rumor-heavy.

Also, seeing how Kurtzman just gave a lengthy update on all the Trek shows in production or coming soon, I doubt very much he is being fired.

This.

I gave up on that channel, and Doomcock, a few months ago. They were nothing but anger, resentment and negativity. It's fascinating, like Sam said, this "news" breaks when Kurtzman gives a detailed update on the state of various shows AND Jonathan Frakes has officially finished filming Episodes 3 and 4 (his "block"). It seems anytime there is good news for the franchise, Midnight's Edge and Doomcock (along with some others) run to YouTube with negative videos.

Sorry, that's not for me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I only had a few minutes this morning before dashing off to work, I did check out the interview in trekmovie with Kurtzman. I have to post a nitpick about him as I find it bothers me in his interviews. And his colleagues, Abrams and Orci. Maybe it’s a generational thing, but it irks me when he and they refer to Star Trek as Trek. He’s a Star Wars guy. They all are. But they never call that franchise, Wars. He and his cronies are the first group I think to ever use that reference. To me it is not cool or respectful. Not in the way people were referring to William Shatner as The Shat. That for some reason was cool and showed reverence. I don’t know, maybe it’s my problem. :)

About those news sites you guys are referring to, yes, I think it was Jason who straightened me out on them as I had seen one of the Midnight’s Edge videos about the issues of a CBS and Paramount reunification. So I avoid those now.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Hey guys, I only had a few minutes this morning before dashing off to work, I did check out the interview in trekmovie with Kurtzman. I have to post a nitpick about him as I find it bothers me in his interviews. And his colleagues, Abrams and Orci. Maybe it’s a generational thing, but it irks me when he and they refer to Star Trek as Trek. He’s a Star Wars guy. They all are. But they never call that franchise, Wars. He and his cronies are the first group I think to ever use that reference. To me it is not cool or respectful. Not in the way people were referring to William Shatner as The Shat. That for some reason was cool and showed reverence. I don’t know, maybe it’s my problem. :)
I've been calling Star Trek "Trek" as shorthand, off-and-on, for probably 30 years now, that I can remember (I watched my very first TOS episode back in 1981).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My wife and I finished TNG (her first time) this past week, and am 5 minutes away from starting First Contact. We’ll be ready!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
JoshEh- that’s interesting, I have a decade of more time as a TOS fan, so it could be a generational thing. I even saw TAS first run. I’ve never conceived of calling Star Trek shorthand as Trek. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks