What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I agree with all of that! I hate how severely the opening credits are windowboxed for 3.

I saw a slightly worn 35mm print of IV a few years ago that was more pleasing overall than the disc.
The windowboxing makes no sense. There wasn't any on the DVD. And 4 should look good - it was nominated for Best Cinematography that year.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I went ahead and purchased Star Trek The Motion Picture theatrical cut at the iTunes Store. I only had a little while last night to look at it. I can see that it does have the same color anomaly as the Blu Ray when the travel pod carrying Kirk and Scotty fly by the secondary hull and the side pendant is green instead of red.

I also checked out the extras for the Directors Edition. iTunes calls it the Directors Cut. I did not do a comparison but the image looks worse then the DVD. When the three Klingon ships approaches V’Ger, the image appears brighter then it should be as space is not black and you can see the matte lines around the Klingon ships.

So far I just streamed the DE, I did not see if I could download the file like I did for the theatrical cut to my hard drive.

This is pretty cool though as I can stream the movie where I left off on my iPhone or iPad. Hopefully this purchase registers with Paramount as another vote towards fan interest in a new remastered 4K release.

Let’s see, this means I’ve purchased Star Trek The Motion Picture in every single format and their various permutations.

Edit: just to see it work, I just tried to watch Star Trek TMP on my iPhone and I can’t, it’s not showing up in my library. It shows up in my iPads. If I go to the Watch it now section, it shows up there as something I can continue to watch. But when I press that button, it says there is a problem loading the content. Must be either a server issue or it’s not recognizing my account on the iPhone. Which seems odd as other iTunes purchases like War of the Worlds shows up.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...When the three Klingon ships approaches V’Ger, the image appears brighter then it should be as space is not black and you can see the matte lines around the Klingon ships...
That's not unique to the digital file - that's how it looks on the DVD, as well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I haven’t seen the DVD of the DE on my HT display for some time. So you’re probably right!

I did rip the DVD of the DE of Star Trek TMP and I’ve watched it on my iPads. So that level of image quality is probably not showing up on the small I devices.

The iTunes theatrical cut is now showing up and playable on my iPhone. Must have needed time to synchronize with the iPhone.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I just watched the Blu-ray of TMP theatrical and thought it looked good for an older scan of a 1979 movie. Pretty solid and better than 3, 4, 5 and 6. I now really think a full restoration of the OCN would be something to behold. I really hope this comes off. I really will buy two copies. I will lend one out to my kids and friends who probably won't spring for the first movie.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Orson Welles was probably the only person who could make the phrase "Rated G" sound infinitely epic...

I just listened to the Inglorious Treksperts Comic-Con panel this morning and they were talking about how Welles initially wanted nothing to do with the promotional campaign, because he felt that Robert Wise was partially responsible for the studio-mandated bastardization of The Magnificent Ambersons. However, Welles became known in later years for doing practically anything for the paycheck and reluctantly accepted.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
They just announced a Picard TV and movie box set which contains the four movies and the Best of Both Worlds and chain of command episodes where they were edited into a movie format.
I had some faint hopes the movies would be released in UHD to tie in with the new series but this seems like a rush job to re-release existing Blu-rays.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If you already own the TNG sets with the individual releases of the season cliffhanger episodes and the two part episode for Chain of Command and the TNG film boxset, you’re all set. This Picard set is a nice offering for the new comers.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
They just announced a Picard TV and movie box set which contains the four movies and the Best of Both Worlds and chain of command episodes where they were edited into a movie format.
I had some faint hopes the movies would be released in UHD to tie in with the new series but this seems like a rush job to re-release existing Blu-rays.

Of course it's a rush job. Because, clearly, there is no desire to do anything new as a tie in with the Picard series. Same thing is happening with TMP. They're "having discussions" (or whatever) when the 40th anniversary of the film is five months away. Heaven forbid they "had conversations" last year about this so the 40th could be celebrated at the right time. They (CBS and Paramount) similarly FUBAR'ed the franchise's 50th anniversary.

Again, is anyone really surprised?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Of course it's a rush job. Because, clearly, there is no desire to do anything new as a tie in with the Picard series. Same thing is happening with TMP. They're "having discussions" (or whatever) when the 40th anniversary of the film is five months away. Heaven forbid they "had conversations" last year about this so the 40th could be celebrated at the right time. They (CBS and Paramount) similarly FUBAR'ed the franchise's 50th anniversary.

Again, is anyone really surprised?

Paramount has been punishing Star Trek fans for years.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
They've announced the theatrical re-release for September. So, I assume it's based upon a new 4K scan of the theatrical cut that's surely already completed.

The discussions are whether they'll release this new scan on 4K/BD, and whether they'll make the further effort to create 4K versions of the other two cuts and include them on the prospective disc release.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Osato for the link to that retro review of the TMP DE DVD release. I remember reading that back in the day.

Fathom Events has only made an announcement of a two day Anniversary screening September 15 and 18th. No more details. Trekmovie reports as more information becomes available, they will report it.

It just could literally be the 2009 Blu Ray version they screen.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Is that confirmed anywhere? That this is going to be from a new 4k scan and not the existing transfer?

Thanks Osato for the link to that retro review of the TMP DE DVD release. I remember reading that back in the day.

Fathom Events has only made an announcement of a two day Anniversary screening September 15 and 18th. No more details. Trekmovie reports as more information becomes available, they will report it.

It just could literally be the 2009 Blu Ray version they screen.

I didn't mean to mislead, and that's why I used the word "assume". No, nothing has been confirmed about the source to my knowledge.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm not going to assume anything about the Fathom Event until we have information. The way Paramount treats Trek, I really wouldn't be surprised if the presentation was from a third generation VHS copy taped off of ABC back in the '80s.*

* Yes, I know this is 100% unlikely. I'm using hyperbole to make a point.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If they had a new master, they’d promote it.

TMP is not beloved by casual viewers or even many Star Trek fans. Those of us here who do love it represent a distinct minority. I’m sure that Paramount is aware that they sold all of six tickets to the Fathom TWOK screening I attended in 2016. If that’s what the most popular film did, I can’t imagine that Paramount is expecting a lot (or investing a lot) in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks