What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (3 Viewers)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Sorry, 1:30 on Saturday.

I hope we hear some news. David Fein sounded very positive but also relayed the studios concerns about sales.

At any rate it will be fun to hear and read articles discussions from the panels too.

I wish I could be there!

I’m ordering tickets for the motion picture screening tonight. Going with 2 friends at an amc theater location.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Trumbull Sternbach and the Okuda's had nothing to do with the directors version, did they?
It seems kind of weird for Trumbull to be there if and when they announce they're releasing the directors version. In that interview linked a couple of pages back he seemed to have very little to say about the directors version
Are any members of the team that assembled the director's cut going to be at the convention?

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Trumbull Sternbach and the Okuda's had nothing to do with the directors version, did they?
It seems kind of weird for Trumbull to be there if and when they announce they're releasing the directors version. In that interview linked a couple of pages back he seemed to have very little to say about the directors version
Are any members of the team that assembled the director's cut going to be at the convention?
I thought the panel was to celebrate the film's 40th anniversary - of anyone on that panel, Trumbull should be there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think the appearance of Trumball, Sternbach and the Okuda’s is purely to celebrate the film’s 40th Anniversary.

I think we’re just hoping that any news about a remastered version of the film would be announced at the convention.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I think the appearance of Trumball, Sternbach and the Okuda’s is purely to celebrate the film’s 40th Anniversary.

I think we’re just hoping that any news about a remastered version of the film would be announced at the convention.

I think it may take more time for news in the de but I hope I’m wrong.

Nelson - did you buy tickets for the fathom tmp event?

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
So today's event is just an anniversary celebration by the people originally involved. That doesn't sound very likely as a place where it will be announced. So everybody has been saying that this convention is the place where it might be announced but really no specifics on where or when an announcement would come or who would announce it since the people involved in the Director's cut aren't scheduled. This does not sound promising for the anticipated announcement.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think with the news out that there are talks to remaster TMP to 4K between Paramount and Fein and the other people involved with the Directors Edition, someone will ask the TMP 40th Anniversary panel the question if they know if this is going to happen. I would bet on it.

Of the people there on that panel, the Okuda’s are the ones most likely to have some information given their past involvement in TMP and other Star Trek supplementary content. Of course it’s very likely they won’t know anything either.

I still think we won’t know for sure until after the reunification of Paramount and CBS is in place.

As I get older and have more years as a fan, I get less excited about these kinds news stories. I’m more patient to wait for the actual real news to come out before I start to get excited. ( I didn’t get interested in the new Picard series until that trailer came out from SDCC) But this news of Star Trek The Motion Picture did raise the flag for me. So I’m hopefully not setting myself up for a big disappointment. But this news somehow feels a little more likely to come to fruition. I’ve been hoping for years and years for this to happen as you guys know.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Osato, I have not ordered tickets for the Fathom event yet. I’m still on the fence, I’ve become less interested in these theatrical screenings by Fathom. If it’s just the current HD transfer, I can have the same experience at home. I know by going it supports the film by attending the showing. I’d rather support The Motion Picture with my dollars to buy the remastered blu ray in 4K and Blu Ray.

I’ve been watching the iTunes Edition a lot this past week. There is so much detail and effort that went into the sets and costumes and the miniature work, a large screen viewing would be the way to really appreciate all that. It took me back to 1979 when I was in the theater watching it the first time.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Osato, I have not ordered tickets for the Fathom event yet. I’m still on the fence, I’ve become less interested in these theatrical screenings by Fathom. If it’s just the current HD transfer, I can have the same experience at home. I know by going it supports the film by attending the showing. I’d rather support The Motion Picture with my dollars to buy the remastered blu ray in 4K and Blu Ray.

I’ve been watching the iTunes Edition a lot this past week. There is so much detail and effort that went into the sets and costumes and the miniature work, a large screen viewing would be the way to really appreciate all that. It took me back to 1979 when I was in the theater watching it the first time.

Understood z I just can’t turn down my support of the event and I have never seen the film on the big screen either. I have to go.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Understood z I just can’t turn down my support of the event and I have never seen the film on the big screen either. I have to go.

Despite all of my, ehem, logical excuses for why it doesn’t seem like the best value for me got going, what you said is how I feel in my heart and what I think will win out.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Despite all of my, ehem, logical excuses for why it doesn’t seem like the best value for me got going, what you said is how I feel in my heart and what I think will win out.

Have to go.
Aside from 5 this was the only other trek film that I never saw on a big screen when I was younger.
I was only 4 when it was in theaters.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Trekmovie has a twitter feed on their site. So far mainly covered the events with Jeri Ryan, Jonathan Frakes, and Jonathan Del Arco. Also John Billingsly. No reports from the TMP 40th Panel yet.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Osato, I am with you. If I’m not there physically, I’m there. I checked the dates and times, if I can, I might take the day off work.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Trekmovie has a twitter feed on their site. So far mainly covered the events with Jeri Ryan, Jonathan Frakes, and Jonathan Del Arco. Also John Billingsly. No reports from the TMP 40th Panel yet.

I read that they are reissuing the novel of tmp in October or November. Also there is an audio book on the way too.

The audio book is listed on amazon with a date of October 1st. I’m sure the novel re issue is the same date.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Pi...cture&qid=1563243970&s=books&sr=1-1/TrekToday

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1797...tle_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1563243970&sr=1-1/TrekToday

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Osato, I have a first edition of Star Trek The Motion Picture I bought back in the day. I haven’t read it in a long time, I read it when I first got it though, I couldn’t put it down. It started a tradition when a new movie came out, I’d read the novel. I have all the books up to Star Trek 6 in paperbacks. I might have to re-read the novel before the anniversary.

This is great that there is interest enough in TMP that there are these new products coming and the Fathom Event. This really shows there is a lot of love and people who really do appreciate the first film. We just now need to have the film itself, theatrical, DE and TV cut remastered for 4K to complete the circle.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The Trekmovie twitter feed has been mostly with the cast panels of each series. Today they been posting from the Discovery cast and possible new Captain Pike series and short treks. No news I can see about the 40th Anniversary panel from yesterday, I’m surprised Trekmovie is not reporting on the 40th Anniversary panel or I just missed it. The only thing I saw Trekmovie tweet was a comment from Michael Okuda when asked if DS9 and Voyager will be remastered in HD and he said he’s up for it.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Actually they did post on Twitter several mentions of the 40th anniversary Motion Picture panel. And there was Zero about the restoration there was Zero about 4K there was Zero about anything new all they did was talk about what a troubled production the motion picture was back in the day. Which I had never heard before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks