1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Scott D S, Sep 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Osato

Osato Producer

A lot would depend on how quickly work can be completed. If they are just recently talking about discussing the de for UHd.
    Hopefully there is more news soon.

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I have zero inside information, only speculation. But I wonder if the release is closer than anyone really wants to let on. It makes no marketing or logical sense to release the disc next year with no major anniversary to tie it to. There's no new movie coming next year, either, to use as a promotional push. Sure, there's a lot of new TV product, but that's it.

Star Trek: Las Vegas is this weekend so we may know more fairly quickly.

Osato likes this.
  3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Oh man, I really wanted to go this year and I just couldn’t get away.

Osato likes this.
  4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Agreed Jason, Las Vegas will be an opportunity for news about this, if it’s coming.

Haven’t seen any new news from The Digital Bits. And no new podcast from
    ComicCon from the Inglorious Treksperts.

Osato likes this.
  5. Nelson Au

One of these days I’d like to go to the Las Vegas convention. I’ve been to so many local ones and in Los Angeles they sort of get to be same old-same old. So I wonder about the Las Vegas one, it might be bigger same old. :)

Osato likes this.
  6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Creation used to do them regularly in NYC when I was a kid and they haven’t been here recently.

The 50th anniversary one in NYC was run by this shamelessly for profit company called Reed Pop that just doesn’t treat their customers right. Unlike creation, they oversell every event so you have to wait hours in line for the chance to see one thing, causing you to miss most other things in the process. If you want a guarantee to see everything you have to pay an extra several hundred dollars for a VIP pass. Creation doesn’t overbook so everyone can see every panel if they so choose. It’s such a different (and better) environment at a Creation-backed show.

Osato likes this.
  7. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I am certainly close enough to go (Seattle) and I will one of these days...the big thing holding me back is Vegas in August. Maybe next year, depending on when Destination D is in Orlando.

Osato likes this.
  8. Message #3628 of 3777 Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Nelson Au

Creation do run a good show and those are the same-old’s I refer to. They have the VIP pricing too as you know for seats up close to the stage and autographs. That sort of put me off as that practice cuts out people who can’t afford it. I could afford to do, but it also felt like the conventions were turning into a serious business. Nothing wrong with that I guess. I can understand it. The bigger convention and costs needs to be done to help pay for the guests and the venue and it is fan friendlier.

I went to the Silicon Valley ComicCon that Wozniak set up. The initial one I only went the first night to see Shatner. The next year I went to see the TNG cast reunion minus Stewart and Burton. That was pretty good, first come first serve seating. There was lively conversation amongst the cast and if you missed a guest, you can see it on YouTube. I think Creation won’t let that happen.

Sorry for the convention diversion. :)

Osato likes this.
  9. Osato

Osato Producer

Great point on Las Vegas. That would be the right time to announce!
    I don’t know how much work is needed for the de but would love to see it released on UHd Blu Ray.

I’m guessing the September screening by fandom and the reissue theatrical Blu Ray will be formally announced soon though.
    Maybe they cleaned up the theatrical print too?

I wonder what the plans are for Star Trek on UHd as well. Khan can be released on disc but they chose to do Apple 4k iTunes only.
    Maybe this announcement is pending soon too?

10. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

David Dennis
    Seriously if they don't have this movie ready this year I don't even see it happening. There's no way they would finally come to an agreement and say yeah yeah let's do it for the 41st anniversary. If they weren't convinced in time for a proper 40th anniversary I don't think there ever could have been convinced

Osato likes this.
  11. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

I doubt they have already worked on this release. Why would there be a call to chime in on Twitter if so? It seemed like they want a gauge of how many consumers are interested in buying it before they move ahead.

Osato likes this.
  12. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    I've never understood the fixation on anniversaries. Is anyone more likely to buy something because it's celebrating it's 40th or 50th anniversary? Is anyone less likely to buy something because its release isn't tied to an anniversary?

Neil S. Bulk, BobO'Link and Osato like this.
  13. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    It's just a marketing gimmick, but it's as good a marketing gimmick as anything else. If there's other publicity around an anniversary, then the release will be more "top of mind" for consumers. If it's released in a vacuum, you have to do promotional support than you may otherwise have to.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Osato likes this.
  14. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Sadly, these special perks for those with lots of disposable income are the standard for a lot of things these days: concerts, conventions; heck, Disney World has become the Happiest Place on Earth (with a $200 VIP Cupcake Party purchase.)

Back to the topic at hand, I'm really crossing my fingers that the resurgence in interest in Star Trek results in at least an HD version of TMP: Director's Cut. I have a fan-made version that did as good a job as is possible with upscaling the SD-only effects, but I'd much rather have a legit, professionally-done version. I'd snap that baby up in a heartbeat. UHD would just be icing on the cake. I'm one of the folks who has always loved TMP, even when I saw it as a wee lad in the theater. I wasn't bored for one minute. It was so good to see the crew back together and the effects were downright amazing, compared to those in TOS. (Also, Lt. Ilia made my 7-year-old brain have funny thoughts.) The set design and costumes haven't aged well, but I chalk that up to them being holdovers from Star Trek: Phase II and not intended for a big-budget film. Thankfully, starting with WoK, they got back on track with their sets and costumes.

Osato likes this.
  15. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Or those that can save, budget and plan. It's just like anything else, really.

Osato likes this.
  16. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

David Dennis
    I can see where Paramount without fanfare went ahead and began the restoration of the original footage because they might figure that that's going to be done at some point anyway why not now. But if they're going to give a green light to the upgrading of the special effects for the director's cut they're going to have to do that in a hurry if they want to make the completely unnecessary but for some reason always advertised anniversary

Osato likes this.
  17. Osato

Osato Producer

I thought the same as well. A quiet remaster of the original and then possible de later. Who knows though.

An announcement this weekend makes a ton of sense.

Camper likes this.
  18. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

David Dennis
    And Bill hunt in his last post on Sunday said that he had follow-up information on the project that he was going to release in the next week. So today is Friday if he was being accurate he has two and a half more days for his additional information

Osato likes this.
  19. Nelson Au

Osato likes this.
  20. Nelson Au

I read the Trumbull interview, he didn’t know about the talks of a potential 4K remaster of Star Trek TMP. What was interesting is he said for Blade Runner, they used the 65mm effects shots to scan for the remastered blu ray, which is why it looks so good. So he was saying this is the way to do the remastered Star Trek The Motion Picture effects that were shot in 65mm. I certainly hope they can all come to agree to do the remaster of Star Trek The Motion Picture.

He does make a slight error in the interview, he names Ron Gress as the guy who did the intricate airbrush paint job on the Enterprise hull. It’s actually Paul Olsen, and airbrush artist who had done several album covers prior. I’ve studied that new refit Enterprise model and his pearlescent paint work on it is amazing. It’s a shame it was partially sprayed over in later films. He knows the recent interest in the film and gives advise to modelers trying to build their own replica. He is even raising money so he and Jim Dow and Mark Stetson, the guys who designed and built the refit Enterprise, could rebuild a new and better model for exhibition. The original is in a private collection and Olsen had tried to find it and get access to it to restore it. But that won’t happen. I think it’s a noble goal to rebuild the Enterprise. But maybe a little crazy. But she is the best Motion Picture model of the refit Enterprise in my view. Other then the original 12’ for TOS.

Bob_S. and Osato like this.