What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (3 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Rodney, I stand corrected.

It’s been a while since I last read Olsen’s book but I have a vague memory now that another person did airbrush the strong back. I forgot that! Thanks.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I listened to the Inglorious Treksperts podcast recorded at Comic-Con, titled There Is No Comparison. That was a fun listen.

So as Osato and others have noted, the guys, Altman, Burnett, Dochtorman, and Bill Hunt and David Fein urged the fans to let Paramount know we want this film remastered and to buy a copy when it’s released. Since I don’t don’t do social media I was going to send a note to Paramount. I wasn’t sure if one of the guys was joking, but they suggested writing to James Gianopulos himself and mark the envelope Private and personal with a short polite letter urging him to do the remaster. I didn’t think of writing to him, but that would be direct and not get lost in the flood of other letters in mailroom that wouldn’t get opened.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
All this discussion of The Motion Picture, made me think about buying the iTunes version. I recall it was discussed, I don’t recall if it was said if it was a good transfer or not or improved over the blu ray. I wasn’t going to do that as I was waiting it out for the new remastered blu ray. But suddenly I was hit with the urge to buy the theatrical cut on iTunes. I already have the Blu Ray, but a digital copy might be cool.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The iTunes transfer is the same as the blu-ray. The only difference is that the subtitles are in the same font as the theatrical prints, versus the player-generated titles on the disc.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Nick. I wonder if the color is correct during the shuttle fly-by of the Enterprise when Scotty and Kirk approach the secondary hull and the side red pendant is green on the Blu Ray. I see the iTunes version has extras that include the Directors Edition. That surprised me. It must be in standard definition.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
No need to buy it separately on iTunes; it’s included as a bonus feature with the theatrical version.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Seriously if they don't have this movie ready this year I don't even see it happening. There's no way they would finally come to an agreement and say yeah yeah let's do it for the 41st anniversary. If they weren't convinced in time for a proper 40th anniversary I don't think there ever could have been convinced
If it comes out in 2021 it would be the 20th anniversary of The Director's Edition! :)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I read the Trumbull interview, he didn’t know about the talks of a potential 4K remaster of Star Trek TMP. What was interesting is he said for Blade Runner, they used the 65mm effects shots to scan for the remastered blu ray, which is why it looks so good. So he was saying this is the way to do the remastered Star Trek The Motion Picture effects that were shot in 65mm. I certainly hope they can all come to agree to do the remaster of Star Trek The Motion Picture.

This implies the raw 65mm negatives survive. They don't for Trumbull's previous production (Close Encounters) and Blade Runner's escaped junking entirely by accident/indifference.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well guys, my curiosity may get the best of me and I’ll let you know if I do buy the iTunes digital copy of TMP. ( edit, I forgot to add, I don’t see any digital codes for the TOS Star Trek films in the 2009 blu ray box set. )

Neil, if the remaster isn’t agreed upon and finished by 2019, I’ll take 2020. It will split the difference between the 40th and 20th. :)

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Joel, David Fein in interviews and comments has said all the elements exist for the remaster. Though he didn’t specify if he just meant the digital assets for the new effects and or if that includes the 65mm film elements.

If the film vaults had everything for the Star Trek The Next Generation remaster, then that might be a good sign for The Motion Picture. But those might be entirely different situations.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I noted on the Trumbell interview that the article states he is attending a tmp panel which will take place next Saturday in Las Vegas at the convention.
Crossing my fingers for some good news announcements and release at that time.
At the very least the September screening would be great.
I really think the de for Blu ray and UHd will take more time.

Also never realized that paramount was in danger of a lawsuit in 1979 if tmp was not released in 12/7/79. Wow. It makes sense now why the film was never completed properly. Final edit missing, sound mix was incomplete, etc..

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Remastered tmp tv spots....

Orson Welles was probably the only person who could make the phrase "Rated G" sound infinitely epic...

I just listened to the Inglorious Treksperts Comic-Con panel this morning and they were talking about how Welles initially wanted nothing to do with the promotional campaign, because he felt that Robert Wise was partially responsible for the studio-mandated bastardization of The Magnificent Ambersons. However, Welles became known in later years for doing practically anything for the paycheck and reluctantly accepted.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Orson Welles was probably the only person who could make the phrase "Rated G" sound infinitely epic...

I just listened to the Inglorious Treksperts Comic-Con panel this morning and they were talking about how Welles initially wanted nothing to do with the promotional campaign, because he felt that Robert Wise was partially responsible for the studio-mandated bastardization of The Magnificent Ambersons. However, Welles became known in later years for doing practically anything for the paycheck and reluctantly accepted.

Ha!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Was there a review of the 2009 motion picture collection set done on this site? I wasn’t unable to find one but was curious to re read what was stated about the video of all the films in the set.

I wasn’t able to find a Robert Harris thread either.

I have trouble with searching on htf sometimes so it could just be user error.

I did pull up a review from digital bits. The original khan 2009 Blu Ray was rated as an A- and all other 2009 blu rays of the original films were given C ratings for video.

Thanks!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The original khan 2009 Blu Ray was rated as an A- and all other 2009 blu rays of the original films were given C ratings for video.

That doesn't seem quite fair. In the original set, Wrath Of Khan was clearly the best transfer as additional work had been performed on it, but TMP looked pretty good as well. If memory serves, TUC was significantly worse than the others, with TSFS, TVH and TFF not looking brilliant either. But I don't think they were all equal, which is why I personally would not assign them the same letter grade.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
That doesn't seem quite fair. In the original set, Wrath Of Khan was clearly the best transfer as additional work had been performed on it, but TMP looked pretty good as well. If memory serves, TUC was significantly worse than the others, with TSFS, TVH and TFF not looking brilliant either. But I don't think they were all equal, which is why I personally would not assign them the same letter grade.

Could be. Here is his thoughts:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/star-trek-original-motion-picture-collection-bd

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Wrath of Khan is easily the best. TMP is overly DNRed, but not too bad, 3 is a little worse but still watchable, 5 is pretty bad, and 4 and 6 are terrible. At least with 6, the director's cut is available on iTunes and looks much better than the theatrical cut.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wrath of Khan is easily the best. TMP is overly DNRed, but not too bad, 3 is a little worse but still watchable, 5 is pretty bad, and 4 and 6 are terrible. At least with 6, the director's cut is available on iTunes and looks much better than the theatrical cut.

I agree with all of that! I hate how severely the opening credits are windowboxed for 3.

I saw a slightly worn 35mm print of IV a few years ago that was more pleasing overall than the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks