What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think that Bill Hunt and Daren Dochterman, David Fein and the others know full well the fans like us want all three versions. Maybe there’s even a forth version. So if Paramount is really going to do a new master for theatrical release and a Blu Ray and 4K version as well as digital, I’m thinking they will take care of the film elements of the theatrical cut and the other footage used on the other cuts. Then they have the elements needed to make all three versions.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I remember standing in line on December 7th 1979 waiting to see this movie and this news has made me so happy that I feel like Captain Kirk at the end of Wrath of Kahn.
"I feel young!"
Day one, full price, two copies one to watch and one to keep in the safe in case the first one gets lost stolen or broken.
Don't be so quick to laugh -- couple of days after the release of the two-disc DVD director's cut of Wrath of time somebody broke into my house stole my electronics and my Wrath of Khan director's cut DVD and my director's cut of the DVD of the motion picture

Last edited:

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I don't care much for TMP, let alone for its DC version. I'm happy with the existing Blu-ray of its theatrical cut.

I'm more interested in a Blu-ray of the DC from ST VI The Undiscovered Country. I do have the download from iTunes but I'd prefer a disc of it. Same goes for ST IV The Voyage Home.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
So you think you have a better chance of getting a restored Star Trek VI DC by not buying the restored Star Trek TMP DC on Blu-ray or UHD?

TMP is not my favorite of the 6 and, I too, really want Trek VI DC restored in hi-def, but I honestly do believe that in this case supporting the first movie with my $25-$30 will greatly improve my chances of getting the other 5 done right.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This could be the moment when things turn around. Or not. Paramount and CBS are on the cusp of re-merging (look for it Aug. 8, we're told, when the companies report earnings) and bringing Star Trek under one roof is said to be a primary factor in getting it done (much like how Disney brought its Marvel properties together with the purchase of Fox).

Also, companies are starting to realize the importance of transferring their properties to high def and ultra high def, acknowledging that there's just not going to be much of a market left for standard def content.

If Paramount is willing to spend the money on the DE of TMP, everyone who wants to see the rest of the films (and possibly even the series like DS9 and Voyager) in high def should see the logic in supporting the project. (Remember, the DEs of the TOS films have never been on blu-ray.)

Because if all of this doesn't happen now, there's a good chance it will not happen.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Well, the Director's Cut of Star Trek II finally made it to Blu-ray in June 2016 (and I have been waiting not so patiently for 3 years for a UHD release.)

But I agree that this particular release, which will cost more than any of the other 5 (because of the upgrade needed for the CGI specific to the Director's Cut) will be the deciding factor in whether we get the other 5 done right and if we ever get a DC of Trek VI.

If this flops, as far as sales, I can see them dumping 4 of the others on UHD someday in the same sub-par versions we already have on Blu-ray. That is the old, heavily DNRed, dirty, scratched transfers simply put on UHD. Fortunately we have Trek II with a great new transfer that already should have hit UHD.

I won't buy Trek VI (or TMP) on UHD unless they are the DCs. The only version of Trek VI available from early 1992 to 2009 was the extended cut -- that's the version of the movie that I know and I won't go back to the shorter version. Don't get me wrong, I love that they released the theatrical cut finally in 2009 for the fans of that version, but now it's been 10 years and the extended cut needs a HD release as well. As far as TMP, you don't release, with hoopla, a Robert Wise approved Director's Cut in 2001 on DVD and then forget it even exists in the age of HD content.

So I am in for this potential release big time and will put my money out there for a final physical release if done right. As for Treks 3, 4 and 5 I suppose I would buy those on UHD in their current condition since they have no alternate cuts. But for Pete's sake fix the credits on the Search for Spock!!! I hate that crazy, unneeded pillar-boxing of the credits!

JohnM73

Auditioning
Real Name
John

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
For this to come true I would accept a Vulcan nerve pinch -- not if I was on the edge of the grand canyon or next to a bed of nails, etc., but if I had a soft place to land.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
So you think you have a better chance of getting a restored Star Trek VI DC by not buying the restored Star Trek TMP DC on Blu-ray or UHD?

TMP is not my favorite of the 6 and, I too, really want Trek VI DC restored in hi-def, but I honestly do believe that in this case supporting the first movie with my $25-$30 will greatly improve my chances of getting the other 5 done right.
You may be right here. But I didn’t say I wouldn’t buy it, just that I don’t care much for TMP. ;)
I’m not into UHD, so it has to be a Blu-ray

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Yeah I'm sure that they will have a Blu-ray and a UHD release at least that's what I'm hoping. I'm in for the UHD and I get a free Blu-ray with it anyway!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There was a post by John a couple of pages ago where he linked to a post on Blu-ray.com that shows a listing for a new Star Trek The Motion Picture Anniversary Edition. It didn’t have any details but was listing a release date late this year. I went to check it just now and it now shows no release date. This is John’s link:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Trek-The-Motion-Picture-Blu-ray/247577/#Forum

So perhaps there is some errors to the original listing on Blu-ray.com. Or they saw something to lead them to think something was coming. And maybe they were getting wind of these talks that Paramount and the Star Trek The Motion Picture DE producers were having. At anyrate, I was just thinking there might be some correlation there. Or it might be nothing. The great news is that there are talks going on at Paramount and that The Motion Picture could be happening. That gives me some hope that it could happen. Maybe not this year. But soon.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
There was a post by John a couple of pages ago where he linked to a post on Blu-ray.com that shows a listing for a new Star Trek The Motion Picture Anniversary Edition. It didn’t have any details but was listing a release date late this year. I went to check it just now and it now shows no release date. This is John’s link:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Trek-The-Motion-Picture-Blu-ray/247577/#Forum

So perhaps there is some errors to the original listing on Blu-ray.com. Or they saw something to lead them to think something was coming. And maybe they were getting wind of these talks that Paramount and the Star Trek The Motion Picture DE producers were having. At anyrate, I was just thinking there might be some correlation there. Or it might be nothing. The great news is that there are talks going on at Paramount and that The Motion Picture could be happening. That gives me some hope that it could happen. Maybe not this year. But soon.

It was confirmed that this release is a reissue of the current Blu Ray in new packaging. A digital copy will also be included.

Hopefully work can be approved for a directors cut release in the future as well.

Not sure if they would be able to work quick enough for release this year.

Please continue to post to Twitter and Facebook as Bill Hunt mentioned in his post the studio is looking at interest in the directors cut for Blu ray and UHd Blu ray

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
It would be nice to see a decent theatrical re-release. But, please, not one of those Fathom events like what was done with ST-2 a few years back. Maybe it was the theater I saw it in, but the picture didn't even match the screen size (projected way smaller than it could have been). and I guess it was the Blu-ray being played - or streamed.

It should be done they way Close Encounters was done that same year - in a Dolby Cinema theater. In fact, the first movie I had seen in Dolby Cinema was CE. The Last Jedi was the next one.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I was at a screening of TMP where I'm pretty sure they just projected the blu-ray - it had what looked like player-generated subtitles, rather than the burned-in ones that appear on the iTunes version.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This is why I wondered if there was a connection in post 3614 above. I’m hoping they will get the new remastered DC and theatrical cut and TV cut out this year or early next.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
This is why I wondered if there was a connection in post 3614 above. I’m hoping they will get the new remastered DC and theatrical cut and TV cut out this year or early next.

A lot would depend on how quickly work can be completed. If they are just recently talking about discussing the de for UHd.
Hopefully there is more news soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks