What's new

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Well, don't forget those people who loved Star Trek IV and were looking forward to more Star Trek. That boosted the box office as well. But less than stellar word of mouth and reviews hit the film hard. Star Trek V had just one weekend to make a good impression and it failed (unless you were me - I saw it 7 times first run).

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was a better film and did great business.

That was one of the most amazing summers in my life, movie wise.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The idea that Shinzon is a clone of Picard AND a human AND the leader of Romulus is a failure. Ending the movie with the destruction of Data screams that they wanted it to be TWOK, which it most certainly is not. Also, the idea that Soong had other androids that littered the sands of some random planet, also absurd. They finally make a movie about the Romulans and they don’t really use the Romulans! I pretty much hate every #@$&!*&# thing about that movie, especially the look of Shinzon’s ship.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Batman was 1989's top domestic film. Summer '89 was a bloodbath at the box office.
I have such fond memories of that summer at the movies, starting with Last Crusade, through August. Star Trek V, Ghostbusters, Batman, When Harry Met Sally, Great Balls of Fire (underrated!), Lethal Weapon 2, Licence to Kill, Dead Poets, the Abyss, and I’m sure I’m forgetting some others. I dare say I haven’t seen as good a summer at the movies since!

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
The TNG films were all a major departure from the series in my opinion. They became all about Picard and Data. Nemesis wasn't any worse, or better, than the TNG films before it. Patrick Stewart was bound and determined to be an action hero. He isn't a good enough actor to carry a movie for me. And to be be fully transparent, my least favorite of the franchise's Captains. His only character arc was the loss of his brother and nephew in a fire, and being turned into a Borg. Forcing him to confront a clone of himself should of been a compelling story. He never really seems to convey any real emotion over this here. And Data going thru the same process was obviously forced and contrived. I just didn't care enough about these characters to care what happened.

Riker is the more traditional Trek Captain to me and a much better leader. He is quicker to act and more decisive on his own. Picard always wants a damn conference for every little thing. The scene that made me really hate Picard as a Captain came in the Third Season episode "Tin Man". As he is told a Romulan ship is de-cloaking his response is "What?" as his ship is disabled by enemy fire. What a loser.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Also, the idea that Soong had other androids that littered the sands of some random planet, also absurd.

FWIW, I don’t think that’s what happened.

Shinzon acquired the B4 parts. (Shinzon himself was a product of the Romulan secret police and it wouldn’t be a stretch that either the Romulans had already come into possession of the B4 parts as part of a similar project to them coming into possession of a sample of Picard’s DNA, or Shinzon acquired them himself. Soong’s lab was presumed destroyed by the crystalline entity but in the TNG series we found out that wasn’t entirely true, and that remnants of his work were elsewhere in the galaxy - like the android version of Soong’s wife - so it’s not really a stretch that there was an undiscovered Data prototype in existence.)

Shinzon specifically placed the B4 parts on that particular planet because it was close to the Romulan neutral zone. (As he says in the film, he knew the crew wouldn’t be able to resist looking into it.) This had the effect of luring Enterprise close to the neutral zone, so that when Shinzon signaled to Starfleet that he wanted to discuss a Romulan-Starfleet peace treaty, Enterprise would be the closest ship in range, and Picard would be the person sent. The entire thing was a trap to ensure that Picard specifically was sent to meet with Shinzon and that Shinzon would have an (unwitting) mole on Enterprise.

None of that was a coincidence and none of it was Soong’s doing. It was Shinzon’s trap.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nemesis failed because it was terrible. All of the TNG films were terrible except the one where they end up back in time during the invention of the warp drive. I think that was "First Contact".

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Being terrible is never a guarantee of box office failure (see your average Transformers movie). Nemesis never had a chance for its box office to be judged by its quality since nobody went to see if it was any good or not...

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I disagree. Insurrection is my favorite of the TNG films.
I think its underappreciated on a number of levels. I think people saw the @#%@#$$ joystick on the E and can't logically evaluate the rest of the movie.

We get a movie which, for a change, isn't about a galactic level threat. Yeah, it does feel like a 2 part episode, but so what? Its got a nice story, some engaging scene and a little bit of starship combat.

Its light hearted compared to ST VII, ST IX and ST X and that is a good thing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think Nemesis is a bad film, nor do I think it was out of line with what general audiences expected from an action/adventure sci-film circa 2002.

I think other factors mostly out of the filmmakers’ control hurt it. The four year delay following Insurrection didn’t help. TNG had been off the air for nearly a decade. DS9 and VOY never had the ratings or general audience crossover appeal that TNG had, and they also been off the air for a while by then. The only thing that had been keeping Star Trek in the public mindset was “Enterprise,” a show that didn’t even have “Star Trek” in its title at the time and which hadn’t really caught on with audiences or critics.

I think it was simply a matter that too much time had passed and that in the intervening years, the marketplace had been oversaturated with Trek shows that weren’t catching on to the degree TNG did, and it all just became noise to the audience.

yamato72

Agent
Real Name
Marc Fenneuff
I think people saw the @#%@#$$ joystick on the E and can't logically evaluate the rest of the movie.
I was definitely one of those people.

I will revisit Insurrection and Nemesis when I pick up this set, and see how I feel about them all these years later.

And yes, I was also the guy yelling at the screen about how stupid the <had to look it up> USS Vengeance concept was in ST:Into Darkness.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
With all of the truly godawful movies there are in 100+ years of filmmaking, I don't think there's such thing as a "bad" Star Trek movie. The films only suffer in comparison with themselves. There may be weird jokes, oddball conceptual decisions and nonsensical plots, but there hasn't been a single Star Trek film that I could call a "bad movie." But that's just me. I will tell you that my lest favorite Star Trek film is The Voyage Home - but only because I don't enjoy Star Trek's full comedies. Jokes go stale faster than adventure. Which is why I will still enjoy The Final Frontier long after the jokes had gone bad.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Patrick Stewart was bound and determined to be an action hero. He isn't a good enough actor to carry a movie for me.
I've quite literally never heard anyone say that before, nor is it something I ever thought I'd hear.

To each his own, but Patrick Stewart is one of the finest actors of our time. That he should choose to act in Star Trek elevates the entire franchise and genre.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Patrick Stewart is not an action hero. Most actors aren't. His character in Trek was designed to be cautious and calculating. And Stewart was cast accordingly. Riker was written to be the man of action for TNG. Over time Patrick Stewart began to regret not being involved in action and romance the way the he thought the character should. That's why they wrote vanity episodes like "Captain's Holiday" and "Starship Mine".

I know my opinion isn't popular, or important, but it's why the TNG films don't appeal to me.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The thing I hated most about Uhura's fan dance was the dubbing of her singing voice with Machun from Hiroshima. Like, why?! Nichelle sang several times on Star Trek and had a beautiful voice. It didn't even sound like her. That scene was just bizarre in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks