What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I took the ghost comment to just mean the Federation didn’t exist anymore,
That was my interpretation as well, between that moment and the older Federation(?) official in the office who shows them the "reduced" future-UFP flag (which is chillingly similar to the "exiled" U.S. government's flag as seen on The Handmaid's Tale). It's clearly a reference to the Federation being barely-existent to the point where its influence is no longer felt at least as far out as the Alcor star-system (per Short Trek episode "Calypso," where it is known as the "V'draysh").

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Does anyone know when the second season of Short Treks will be available in Canada. I searched our Sci/Fi channel and found no mention of them.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Does anyone know when the second season of Short Treks will be available in Canada. I searched our Sci/Fi channel and found no mention of them.

As I noted earlier in the thread, it's already up on Crave (in fact it was actually released on Crave hours before the US). Crave also seems to have smartened up its act slightly and is finally putting most of its content out in 5.1 and at a decent bit rate.

I haven't checked yet, but it may be up on Shaw's janky on-demand service (not sure what you have in Ontario--Rogers?). The good news is the on-demand service actually looks really good here: really high bit rate and way less compression than when the same programs air in real time.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
These programs were on the Space channel (now Sci/Fi) last year along with “Discovery”. Crave is one of the streaming services we do not subscribe to, and could only get on a tablet if we did. I am interested in any information about the shows on regular cable.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I very much enjoyed the new episode of Short Treks with Number One and Spock. It was clever to have it take place during Spock's first day on the Enterprise. One thing, however, that I cannot accept is the look of the turbolift mechanisms. There is just no way all that space exists inside the starship. But, by all means, check this one out when you can. It'll make you want a Pike series even more.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
These programs were on the Space channel (now Sci/Fi) last year along with “Discovery”. Crave is one of the streaming services we do not subscribe to, and could only get on a tablet if we did. I am interested in any information about the shows on regular cable.

This particular Short Treks episode was released as a "surprise" at New York Comic Con. Unfortunately that means there was no way for it to be scheduled on Sci-Fi on the same day. That said, it's been a few days now and perhaps it will air soon on the channel. Did you check your on-demand options for Sci-Fi?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You guys are pretty sharp eyed about the new trailer. I did not notice the UFP flag having fewer members.

I was thinking, maybe the Klingon Empire fell too as I did not see any in the trailer.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I was thinking, maybe the Klingon Empire fell too as I did not see any in the trailer.

Thank heaven. Discovery's Klingons are easily the least compelling thing in the first two seasons. Unless they're a full reboot with a 100% rethink on the race, I don't need to see them in Discovery EVER again.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Thank heaven. Discovery's Klingons are easily the least compelling thing in the first two seasons. Unless they're a full reboot with a 100% rethink on the race, I don't need to see them in Discovery EVER again.
If the Federation's on the ropes in the 33rd Century, it's practically guaranteed we'll see the Klingons again in some capacity or other. They're simply too important to the larger galactic political-scene to ignore.

On the same note, I'm very curious to see what Discovery establishes about the Romulan-remnants 930 years in the future (789 years after Star Trek: Picard's first season), in the distant aftermath of the Hobus supernova.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
If the Federation's on the ropes in the 33rd Century, it's practically guaranteed we'll see the Klingons again in some capacity or other. They're simply too important to the larger galactic political-scene to ignore.

Unless they're extinct for some reason. That would be a shake up to the universe for sure.

STD Klingons just aren't compelling for me. If they are still around almost 1,000 years later, let's get a different kind of Klingon. It can't be any worse than Season 1 STD Klingons.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

I think the Klingons are always the least compelling thing in any series. At least now they seem...dangerous. In TNG and even DS9 (in which they warred with the Federation) they were bland and boring. With only a few exceptions the Klingon-centric episodes of TNG and DS9 were mediocre at best. The Kor, Koloth, and Kang stories were the best; everything else was...meh. Worf had like one good episode: Parallels (but it is one of my favourites).

Almost every other race is more interesting and has more interesting episodes than the Klingons. I would be fine leaving them behind, only to crop up one episode per season (or fewer!).

At least Discovery Klingons actually (properly) speak Okrand Klingon...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not as Klingon’d out as I am Dalek’d out on Doctor Who, but I find it generally more interesting to see things I haven’t seen before vs explanations for things that never really needed an explanation in the first place.

The conundrum I have, or maybe what’s just inconsistent, is that I shouldn’t have been into Pike on season 2 and onwards. I didn’t think I wanted new versions of old things. But they did it so beautifully that I was sold. And “Q&A” was just fantastic. I appreciate that they’re bringing back these characters not to give us more of the same but to deepen our understanding of them.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well, just tripped in the pothole and low and behold, ST DISCOVERY is on my Fire Stick. Just watched the first 3 episodes and so far it looks pretty damn good. Trying to binge watch all the episodes before my 7 day viewing period expires...up to episode 4...can't wait for the rest.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Speaking of Short Treks, was just rewatching "The Trouble with Edward" (yet again), and noticed that the creator of Too Many Cooks, Chris "Casper" Kelly, is listed as a producer in the end-credits. Very cool.

I've really resisted saying anything about both of the new Short Treks here, but since that box is open...

"Q and A" ... it's fun, I guess. I was with it until the last two or three minutes and then I checked out. I loved seeing Romijn and Peck together; they have a great chemistry together. I wasn't thrilled to see the stupid as hell exterior of the turboshaft again. It was illogical the first time we saw it on Discovery and it still makes zero sense. The ending on the bridge is fantastic and I was smiling the entire time.

"The Trouble with Edward" ... I wrote the following on Facebook immediately after watching it "Man, that Short Trek was embarrassing. "The Trouble with Edward" may be the stupidest thing in the Discovery-era of Trek...including those awful Klingons."

And I stand by that. Absurdly stupid, illogical, terrible, insulting and anger-inducing. Even if I disregard the continuity problems (this happens before "The Trouble with Tribbles" and Starfleet knows about Tribbles, but no one on the Enterprise does??), Tribbles overpopulating and ship and destroying it? A mad scientist-sort of science officer? A captain so ill-equipped to be captain she loses her ship in the blink of an eye? Sorry, hard hard pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    papill6n
    Recent bookmarks