What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Starfleet Academy (1 Viewer)

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
If that's the case, then it makes more sense why "Starfleet Academy" would be designed as an offshoot of "Discovery" instead of any of the other shows.

But if it's really their top-rated show, why cancel it? If the decision came from the writers, why not make that decision at the beginning of the season, rather than midway through filming the finale?

Was "Discovery" really that much more expensive than the other shows? Will "Starfleet Academy" be that much cheaper?
simple answer = YES.

New cast salary < Old cast after 5 year run.

Also if its more Academy-centric then ship-centric it would be cheaper with less SF costs.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
By the way, Tawny Newsome, from Lower Decks, is part of the writing room for Starfleet Academy. She was at Farpoint Convention this past weekend. All she could say is that "it is a show", they have a diverse writing room, and it is supposed to be the first class after The Burn.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
By the way, Tawny Newsome, from Lower Decks, is part of the writing room for Starfleet Academy. She was at Farpoint Convention this past weekend. All she could say is that "it is a show", they have a diverse writing room, and it is supposed to be the first class after The Burn.
CBS / Paramount is actually going to do a new Star Trek show set in the future-future? Like, there won't be a temporal anomaly and the entire Starfleet Academy is sent back to the Pike-o-verse to ensure it's yet another future-past Trek?

Be still my beating heart!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes, it’s a spin-off of Discovery. This is supposedly why Tilly was written off the ship, so she could be moved to that show.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Still would be a lot more interested in this if it were set in the early 25th century, maybe with Riker and Troi's daughter Kestra as the POV character...

Agreed.

With the best of intentions, Discovery sorta backed the Star Trek Universe into this weird corner with their time jump to the 31st century, because they've revealed a future where everything Starfleet has accomplished in all of the Trek we've spent decades watching has been wiped away... in favor of the kind of petty war and territorial squabbles that were antithetical to Trek's positive message of optimism about the future. Now, on the one hand, I get and don't disagree with the message implicit in that, that we can't simply take the future for granted and assume that things will work out as they should, thus failing to engage our present day responsibilities to try to make the world a better place. But, on the other hand, it just sorta casts a shadow over the Trek I most enjoy, and I guess from the perspective of the studio, seemingly makes them hesitant to continue with the Picard-era timeline that a lot of us fans think of as "present day" in the Trek world.

I almost kinda wish and want Trek to do a little timey-wimey thing and do some sort of hand waving about how Discovery wound up in a possible future variation but not the actual future that follows the TNG/Berman era. I don't think they actually will.

Until a Starfleet Academy show actually releases an episode, no one can definitively say how an audience will take to it. But, anecdotally, it feels like a show that Trek's audience doesn't want or is at least indifferent to, not because of the premise of setting something at Starfleet Academy, but because it's tied to setting that their audience seems indifferent to. This feels a little bit like the build-up to "Prodigy," which I thought took a great core concept (an animated show aimed at introducing younger viewers to the world of Star Trek) and just sorta bungled it by making it barely related to the things that make Star Trek, well, Star Trek. If that winds up being the case here as well, that would mean that the two biggest swings of Alex Kurtzman's tenure as head honcho were misfires.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tilly's quarters at the new Starfleet Academy made their debut in the first couple episodes of the final season of "Discovery", and they highlighted another issue with setting this in the 32nd century. The old Starfleet Academy campus in San Francisco on Earth is visually interesting with lots of different indoor and outdoor environments. A generic white space station is a lot less interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks