What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
That is the best I can do at home I’m afraid. Consider it the age where tv and movie companies have basically tricked the public into thinking we don’t need home recording.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I agree that it’s disappointing but with that said I’m glad the show is getting a disc release at all and especially a Blu-ray. Most shows today aren’t getting this kind of treatment so I’m just glad I’ll have this on disc. This was the most exciting time I’ve had watching new Trek live on TV since TNG so I’m glad to have the keepsake.

This.

Delighted to get a Blu-Ray copy (unlike Orville) not gonna purchase DVD).

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
It's possible Calypso plays a role in season 3 (no clue about the exclusion of The Escape Artist--maybe it has some future implications, too?).

Frankly it could be a residuals thing. If the leads from Calypso (Craft and the computer's voice) are going to be in season 3, why pay the actors for sales for season 2 blu-rays? The Short Trek episodes themselves are notoriously hard to find on streaming platforms, so there is limited exposure on direct views. Toss the episode on the season 3 blu-ray

Or, as is my assumption, Calypso has no bearing on anything until Discovery is over. So it can get chucked on the last season set.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I’d wait to confirm what’s on the discs. These early lists of features are notoriously inaccurate, as are listings on Amazon.

I just ordered 2 CD sets from them, both listed as having 1 disc each. When they came I saw that one had 3 discs and the other had 6!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I guess I have “collectivitus”. I recorded the Orville on DVD-RW with my recordable DVD machine, and edited out the commercials. Our public library bought a copy of season 1 and let’s just say “a friend” could have made me a copy of it. I vowed to never buy it on DVD only, and I still bought it. What’s more, I have season 2 on pre-order. <_<

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Having lived through the “Galavant” experience, I am always afraid that I will not be able to buy new seasons of my favourite shows. Therefore I record the two Walking Dead’s, Krypton, Discovery and The Orville on to DVD-RW and keep these until the season sets are out on Blu ray if possible.

I still have 1000s of DVDs, and although I replace them with Blu rays, and buy all new ones I can on Blu, I find the quality of DVDs quite acceptable. My largest TV is 65”, and a lot of my viewing is done on a 45” TV, so I am not blowing them up to IMAX!

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't bet against an eventual Blu-ray release but I wouldn't be surprised if it was kept as a steaming exclusive for an extended period. I think CBS will try to use it to drive subscription sales.
Got the Blu-ray on Amazon Prime Day and have been slowly watching it with my wife at dinner rotating with a bunch of other series we watch. We've seen the first disc so far (4 episodes). It has been entertaining so far. After the second episode, my wife said, "well that's the end of that series." The next day we watched the third episode, which really seemed like the real pilot of the series. While watching the 4th episode my wife wondered whether we would be getting a third pilot next.

Glad to see the news that S2 will be out in November. Maybe there will be a nice Black Friday sale on it.

Last edited:

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Just reread a lot of the pre-release comments and all of the comments through the first 4 episodes I've seen (through page 57, #1140).

It is interesting to read some of the old comments now knowing what has happened. There was at least one person dreading the casting of one actress and she ended up getting quickly killed on the show.

I'm looking forward to continuing to read what folk here said with each episode.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Just reread a lot of the pre-release comments and all of the comments through the first 4 episodes I've seen (through page 57, #1140).

It is interesting to read some of the old comments now knowing what has happened. There was at least one person dreading the casting of one actress and she ended up getting quickly killed on the show.

I'm looking forward to continuing to read what folk here said with each episode.

The early days of this thread are very similar to the early BSG thread ("they changes the frakking helmets!"). I'm glad we've mostly silenced the naysayers.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The new Short Treks episode is out, too. For my fellow Canadians, it's on Crave (yuck...). Hopefully it will air in 5.1 soon on SciFi.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just watched it. Twice. At first I was wondering who that guy is that is with Bernham, and I realized it’s the guy from the Calypso Short Trek. So this ties in with that. Looks like there’s quite a few clues there for what is going on in the future. I miss Pike and Spock. I’ll save that Short Trek for later.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I paid $10 to watch the Short Trek and it was worth every penny. Please universe, let this be a backdoor pilot that gets picked up because I will never miss an episode of that.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I just watched it. Twice. At first I was wondering who that guy is that is with Bernham, and I realized it’s the guy from the Calypso Short Trek. So this ties in with that. Looks like there’s quite a few clues there for what is going on in the future. I miss Pike and Spock. I’ll save that Short Trek for later.

Nope, not the same guy. The actor in Calypso is Aldis Hodge. The actor in Discovery Season 3 is David Ajala.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sam, I have not rewatched Calypso, so I didn’t know the actors. Thanks for the clarity. But it seemed like the same character. When he said the insignia on Burnham’s shirt is from a ghost, or words to that effect, that was what made me think it’s the same person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks