What's new

Square Pegs (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
granted, there's a lot of music there, but most of it is new wave songs only genre enthusiasts remember for the most part (like Devo came in and performed a few songs on an episode, "Whip It"'s the only song of theirs that really would have a high price tag I'd think since that's the only song most people remember from them... I like Devo and have their 2 disc retrospective so I'm not dissing them, just stating a fact). Plus, since it's a one-year-wonder, that should work for it's benefit, much like how Freaks And Geeks was released with all music entact, whereas the multi-season WKRP was essentially stripped of it's music and The Wonder Years remains in music rights hell. Unlike most 80's shows, Square Pegs boasts a bonafide star with SJP that could easily be used to sell DVD's, Sex And The City was one of the very first and most successful TV-DVD franchises

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
There was talk of Shout Factory putting it out. Nothing official, but I remember them being asked about it.

Great show. It has turned up on Comcast On Demand, so Sony hasn't forgotten about it.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

I don't think it's the same audience at all. I doubt fans of Sex and the City will buy Square Pegs just because SJP is in it. Some may, but not nearly enough.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I am a fan of both shows, and several years back when Square Pegs was on TV Land, I got other friends who loved SATC to watch Square Pegs and they all loved it. Granted, Sarah is different as night and day on the two shows, but the charismatic personality was there even in 1982.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
The sad thought is there's a beancounter at Sony who can spout the profit margin difference between getting it right and just getting it on the market with the lowest possible effort.

They just slam it on 3 DVDs and stick it out with SJP looking less geeky on the cover.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

There are definitely hardcore SJP fans that would buy it, but I don't think that's the majority of the Sex and the City audience. Fans of SatC would be more inclined to watch a NEW show that she's starring in than plunk down 30 or 40 dollars for a 25 year old sitcom that they most likely have never heard of.

It's a show that I'd buy in a heartbeat because I loved it when it first aired and haven't seen a second of it since. I just think that if it happens, it could have a lot of music replacement that could mess up the vibe of the show.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I can see this getting out eventually. I caught some episodes on tubetime and it was fun to watch. The young Jamie Gertz was a gas in the show. Did SJP just get voted the ugliest celebrity from people magazine or some publication? That is kind of harsh, she isn't the best looking female celebrity but the ugliest?, i don't know about that.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I'd buy this show, I seem to remember seeing it on TVLand a few years ago and enjoyed it. I've never seen Sex and the City but I like SJP from her other roles and loved Jamie Gertz from SP and the Lost Boys.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
maybe if Sony ever releases Facts Of Life season 4, Square Pegs would be a good day/date title with it, especially since both seasons were 82-83, and Jami Gertz played Boots St. Claire in a few FOL episodes in the 83-84 season

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Thanks, Corey for that link. That was a lot of fun.

I was a sophomore in high school when this show was out and it was so much fun to watch.

I always liked Amy Linker better than SJP.

Johnny Slash was probably my favorite character, though.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I would love to see this on DVD. I recorded the reruns (well, most of them) went it aired on Nick At Nite back in either the late 90s or early 00s. I thought it was funny and I thought that the character of Johnny Slash was cool.

Music rights are probably holding it up, but then again, it is only a one-season show. I'd like to see them release it soon.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

The music was great, but then again, I do enjoy all the music of the decade.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
thank god Sony decided to release something halfway decent, they've been releasing garbage lately... My Boys? seriously? it may be current but who watches it?

See, SJP is a big enough draw to announce an old series on DVD. Some didn't believe me, if they released a flop series Jennifer Garner did years ago that nobody watched or even heard of to cash in on Alias, I knew something would be wrong if they didn't release this to cash in on S&TC.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
seeing how much TV production Mark Mothersbaugh does, he shouldn't be sticking them for major bucks - if he has much say over his publishing.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
The box art looks pretty good and I like the SRP. Not sure about the "minisodes" but a a "Where are they now" type featurette would have been nice. Will be picking this up.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
music rights-wise. It might be smart that the show ended after one season. Who knows how much Duran Duran, Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson, etc... that would've been used as the show progressed. When SP was on, new wave was on the cusp of taking off, but at the same time, there was nothing used on the show that was a "Hungry Like The Wolf"/"Karma Chameleon" type of hit that would cost a pretty penny to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks