What's new

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
It's rare that I ever work with a Red - I'm simply used to dealing with Alexas since 2011. But people are always on the lookout to see if Panavision can ever give us a really good digital Panaflex. I would never count Panavision out, even if it takes them a few more years.

Regarding the Oscar picks:

-I never expected Mad Max to pick up 6 craft awards. And frankly a couple of those should have gone to Revenant - sound effects and makeup. Costumes really should have gone to Danish Girl or Cinderella.

You have to admit that Jenny Bevan is a very versatile designer though. How much farther could she get from her Merchant/Ivory designs?:)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
She's a great designer - all the nominees are. I just thought the other movies offered far more interesting costumes than the usual mode of leather biker gang stuff for Mad Max. And that basic costume design motif was established over 35 years ago with the first two Mad Max movies with Mel Gibson.

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
BTW the Sound Mixing award seems to be misunderstood, sometimes even by the Academy voters. When they were running that award, they kept giving audio examples of more post-production sound EFFECTS. Sound Mixing covers the actual recording of sound and dialogue on set. The best example I can give of this is Les Miserables winning it in 2012, which was quite appropriate given all the live recordings of the songs. It's possible that they were thinking that a lot of the dialogue for Mad Max was recorded live in the moving vehicles. I tend to think a lot of the movie was looped in post, but I wouldn't know.

Gee, you'd think that the people putting together the clips for the awards would try to work with people from that section of the Academy that selects the nominees, and have the clips highlight what they award's all about. But at least they're making some effort nowadays to focus on the movies themselves. Remember the days when, in showing the clips, they would have them scrunched up to one quarter of the screen in the corner, with three quarters of the screen taken up by nonsense like a row of rotating Oscar statuettes? Hey, this is about the movies--show us the MOVIES! (/rant)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
..........I love how this thread is about Spotlight and yet everyone is talking about Mad Max. JUST LIKE THE ACTUAL OSCARS.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I think that Louie CK in giving the award for documentary short had a little fun with this. In addition to noting that the winners of that category would be driving the Oscar home in a Honda Civic, I believe in announcing the winner, he initially said, "And the winner is...Mad Max... oh, wait..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks