What's new

Spielberg (2017) (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The story of his parents was extremely touching and I did not know it in that much detail. The personal stuff was great but again it was not enough for me. John Williams was barely present and he is integral.

I think I enjoyed Spielberg on Spielberg more. I have to watch it again if I can find it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I loved it and while it didn't break alot of new ground with the movie stuff, the early life and personal life was mostly new to me.

Also, were the clips of his TV work in real HD? Might that mean there's a chance for a Spielberg: The TV Shows blu-ray set?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just finished it. It was a nice personal documentary but I wasn't completely satisfied.
It lacked a little magic and relied heavily on his personal life rather than his movies.
Perhaps that's the point on this documentary to concentrate on this person that became a great director! I'm DVRing it today so I'll make some time in the near future to watch the entire documentary. If it concentrates on his personal life more than his films then I'm fine with that because I want to know more about the man himself.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Perhaps that's the point on this documentary to concentrate on this person that became a great director! I'm DVRing it today so I'll make some time in the near future to watch the entire documentary. If it concentrates on his personal life more than his films then I'm fine with that because I want to know more about the man himself.
I would say it's 60/40 weighted toward his films, but the stuff about his personal life, if you don't already know it, is wonderful.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would say it's 60/40 weighted toward his films, but the stuff about his personal life, if you don't already know it, is wonderful.
I watched the documentary this morning and thought it was excellent! Perhaps, the Spielberg experts don't have a high opinion of it, but most people aren't Spielberg experts and this documentary gives those people a look into the man and how his films were influenced by his childhood and family. Going forward, I'm going to have a different appreciation of his films.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm going to re-watch Spielberg on Spielberg (2007) tonight to see how it holds up next to this.

fRUXnqjbxxZxoLLyCioYVgmMR0k.jpg

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, this story of Spielberg going into Universal studios and taking an office without anyone noticing he doesn't belong, is it real? I've been hearing it for like 30 years and it's becoming a legend. I was surprised that they didn't directly ask him in this documentary. And was it David Geffen who said he thinks it's exaggerated?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
By the way, this story of Spielberg going into Universal studios and taking an office without anyone noticing he doesn't belong, is it real? I've been hearing it for like 30 years and it's becoming a legend. I was surprised that they didn't directly ask him in this documentary. And was it David Geffen who said he thinks it's exaggerated?
I think it was Jeffrey Katzenberg actually but yeah, it was one of the Dreamworks guys. I think it's a great story and I think Spielberg actually snuck on to the Universal lot as a young man but I think the "he set up his own office" part of the story is made up. Just like how he lied about his age for years.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Fabricating a story and lying about it for years to an audience where he doesn't have to, is a little troubling to me. It's different than lying about your age to get a job.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fabricating a story and lying about it for years to an audience where he doesn't have to, is a little troubling to me. It's different than lying about your age to get a job.
Really, you're going to be that judgmental.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

He's talked about it elsewhere....

https://www.snopes.com/movies/other/spielberg.asp

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Really, you're going to be that judgmental.

Not judgmental. It's not about what happened to Universal. Just a little troubled if someone lies for no good reason. That's all. I'm sure you get a little troubled if you are lied to for no good reason.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not judgmental. It's not about what happened to Universal. Just a little troubled if someone lies for no good reason. That's all. I'm sure you get a little troubled if you are lied to for no good reason.
So are you telling me you never lied about yourself? Spielberg is a director which means he's a story teller. He told a lie and embellished a story. I think that mistake is greatly overshadow by the pure joy he brought millions of people with his films over the last 45 or so years.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Oddly enough, he publicly lied about his age for years to make himself a year (or maybe two?) younger. Presumably so he could be even more amazing at having achieved the level of director at an even younger age.

For what it's worth, I put that kind of thing into the same category as Hitchcock saying that his dad had a policeman lock young Alfred up in a jail (and that's why he frequently used the wrong man theme in his movie), it's a fun story to hear and it's not hurting anyone so it's not that big of a deal.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just finished Spielberg on Spielberg (2007). I love it. I planned to watch the first 30 minutes and the rest later but I watched it all in one sitting. I highly recommend it.

While Spielberg (2017) is a bitter sweet emotional documentary, Spielberg on Spielberg (2007) is all fun and upbeat. He is 10 years younger and more energized and talks with passion about his work. He is the only person talking and no one else is there. So it feels like a more intimate conversation. All the talk is about his movies and the creative decisions he made so it's fascinating. He talks about many more of his movies here so it gives you a chance to decide which one of his movies you want to watch again.

It gave me the desire to re-watch The Color Purple and Minority Report next.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks