What's new

Spielberg (2017) (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Although I haven't loved any of Steven Spielberg's films from the past twenty years(nothing to do with his style, just subject matter/story) his first twenty five years of films are fantastic to me.
He is a brilliant filmmaker. I will have to watch this.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

In a career spanning more than four decades, Spielberg's films have spanned many themes and genres. Spielberg's early science-fiction and adventure films, such as Jaws (1975), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977), Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), and E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982), were seen as archetypes of modern Hollywood escapistfilmmaking.[6] In later years, his films began addressing humanistic issues such as the Holocaust, the transatlantic slave trade, civil rights, war, and terrorism in such films as The Color Purple (1985), Empire of the Sun (1987), Schindler's List (1993), Amistad (1997), Saving Private Ryan (1998), Munich (2005), War Horse(2011), Lincoln (2012), and Bridge of Spies(2015). His other films include Jurassic Park(1993), A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001), and War of the Worlds (2005).

Spielberg won the Academy Award for Best Director for Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan, as well as receiving five other nominations.[7] Three of Spielberg's films—Jaws, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, and Jurassic Park—achieved box office records, originated and came to epitomize the blockbuster film.[8]The unadjusted gross of all Spielberg-directed films exceeds $9 billion worldwide, making him the highest-grossing director in history. His personal net worth is estimated to be more than $3 billion.[2] He is also known for his long-standing associations with several actors, producers, and technicians, most notably composer John Williams, who has composed music for all but three of Spielberg's films (The Color Purple, Bridge of Spies, and Ready Player One).

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Although I haven't loved any of Steven Spielberg's films from the past twenty years(nothing to do with his style, just subject matter/story) his first twenty five years of films are fantastic to me.
He is a brilliant filmmaker. I will have to watch this.

I agree. I feel the same way you do about his films. I tried to like Lincoln. I really did (I have a B.A and M.A in History), but I just couldn't get into it. I think his films up until the 1990's were all superb though.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I love the majority of Spielberg's work from the last 20 years but I think Munich is as good as anything he made outside of his indisputable masterpieces. Also, The Adventures Of Tintin is wonderful and Catch Me If You Can is a ton of fun.

It's not suitable for work but speaking of Munich:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
top 5 favorite films from Steven Spielberg

5. E.T.

4. Raiders of the Lost Ark

3. Saving Private Ryan

2. Jaws

1. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jaws is my favorite but I'd go crazy trying to rank the rest. My 9 runners-up would be (chronologically): Duel, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, 1941, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Munich and The Adventures Of Tintin.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is a none obvious choice. One of my favorite films of his is Always (1989). I can't stress enough how much I love it. I love it as much as E.T. and I consider it a quintessential Spielberg movie. There is no other movie that has the same effect on me. It always gets me!

large_bl8jy2p84gZps3AOIy9bVc7wbhy.jpg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Here is a none obvious choice. One of my favorite films of his is Always (1989). I can't stress enough how much I love it. I love it as much as E.T. and I consider it a quintessential Spielberg movie. There is no other movie that has the same effect on me. It always gets me!
I hadn't seen Always probably since the late 90's and I watched it again last year and thought it was pretty good.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Top five Spielberg movies:
1. Jaws
2. Close Encounters
3. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
4. Jurassic Park
5. E.T.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Top five Spielberg movies:
1. Jaws
2. Close Encounters
3. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
4. Jurassic Park
5. E.T.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen Temple Of Doom ranked higher than Raiders. :eek:

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I don’t think I’ve ever seen Temple Of Doom ranked higher than Raiders. :eek:

:lol: Yeah, I know, I'm in the minority (in fact I might be the only one). For me Raiders was kind of slow. Enjoyed Temple a lot more.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jaws
Raiders
Close Encounters
ET

But I don’t think there are any Spielberg films I dislike. Not a one. I even like Hook which is his weakest film. Love the score to that film.

He is my favorite by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks