What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Spielberg (2017) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
But I don’t think there are any Spielberg films I dislike. Not a one. I even like Hook which is his weakest film. Love the score to that film.
I don't particularly like The Lost World but even that movie has the spectacular sequence with the T. Rex pushing the trailer off the cliff edge.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Here is a none obvious choice. One of my favorite films of his is Always (1989). I can't stress enough how much I love it. I love it as much as E.T. and I consider it a quintessential Spielberg movie. There is no other movie that has the same effect on me. It always gets me!

large_bl8jy2p84gZps3AOIy9bVc7wbhy.jpg

I was fortunate to watch this at the cinema in 1989. I went with a friend of mine, a real (lovable) goth at the time, and we were debating between this film and another (a horror movie I think, though I don't recall the name of it). This is the one we ended up seeing and we both absolutely loved it. I can see where the flaws are, but I have always found it enchanting.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Top 5
ET
Raiders
Jaws
CE3K
Catch Me If You Can

Munich is almost tied for 5th spot. As Travis said above, it's as good as anything he made, but it's just not as fun to watch, IMHO, as Catch Me.

Last edited:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jaws
Raiders
Close Encounters
ET

But I don’t think there are any Spielberg films I dislike. Not a one. I even like Hook which is his weakest film. Love the score to that film.

He is my favorite by far.

It's kinda a tie with me. Spielberg and Martin Scorsese.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Another one of my favorites is Empire of the Sun (1987) and I re-watched it tonight. It's a masterpiece.
He still has his magic here. You might be shocked to learn that Ben Stiller plays in it.

Empire_of_the_Sun.jpg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Another one of my favorites is Empire of the Sun (1987) and I re-watched it tonight. It's a masterpiece.
He still has his magic here. You might be shocked to learn that Ben Stiller plays in it.

Empire_of_the_Sun.jpg
It was Stillers second film after his debut in Hot Pursuit (also in 1987).

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I thought it was a fairly superficial treatment of Spielberg. Had seen every clip. The writing wasn't particularly powerful, especially in terms of the organization, transitions and climax of the documentary. Overall it is not a bad historical record. If I had known nothing about him, I probably would have loved it. But based on having very little freshness, and not particularly well-crafted writing, I wonder how this was ever sold to HBO.

Must have been the subject matter.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have not seen this yet, probably in a week. But I remember Spielberg on Spielberg where he is sitting in a theater and talks about his memories about his movies. I remember loving that.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just finished it. It was a nice personal documentary but I wasn't completely satisfied.
It lacked a little magic and relied heavily on his personal life rather than his movies.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Just finished it. It was a nice personal documentary but I wasn't completely satisfied.
It lacked a little magic and relied heavily on his personal life rather than his movies.
In my opinion the filmmakers forgot that just because it's a documentary doesn't mean they can skip dramatic structure. If I took only what was in the documentary and added nothing else, I could rearrange the interviews and clips to where the story would not just have a beginning, middle and end, but a compelling beginning, a developed middle, and a dramatic ending--just by changing the order of the interviews and clips. Everything needed to make a great documentary was there, but the filmmakers were out of their depth, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soonercineaste
Recent bookmarks