What's new

SpiderMan 2 dvd is in very good hands indeed (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I think they're the little brown blobs that occassionally pop up on screen (in theaters) for a frame or so every now and then.

ToddJ

Second Unit
What do they do? I know about 'cigarette burns" and their function...but I haven't heard of the other ones....

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yes, it's a way to identify a print. That way, if bootlegs get out, they can use the codes to identify the source.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I didnt notice the dots on my screening, I was too busy watching the movie to notice them:)

As for Charlie doing the DVD to this, THANK GOD! Looks like we will get a Spidey DVD that we all deserve now. And Charlie, if you are reading this, please, PLEASE make the AV quality on this stellar the first time, or push for a Superbit Deluxe off the bat.

Alex K.

Agent
This is absolutely great news. I do think I only own two DVD's with the de Lauzirika label, but they are both excellent. Alien Quadrilogy and Matchstick Men. I know he's a regular of Ridley Scott, but what else has he done?

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Good news.

The "Matrix" sequels credit "Filmed in Panavision" yet they are Super35.

I really, really wish directors wouldn't be so afraid of anamorphic lenses and shoot true widescreen 'scope. Gibson did it for "Passion".

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Aside from Scott discs like Gladiator, Hanibal, Thelma & Louise SE, and the Blck Hawk Down DE, he's also done Die Another Day and the Alien Quadrilogy among others.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

It's funny, if you look at "Revolutions" when they show the exteriors of the ship, the lights give off oval lens flares. I wonder if they used anamorphic lenses for some shots. I don't know what purpose it would serve, though.

Heinz W

Second Unit

I wonder if Charlie did (or is doing) the 1492 DVD coming Nov. 16th? I figured he might be since it's also a Scott project. Anyone know?

Travis W.

Second Unit

That's just sad. The dots are there for like a milli-second even at that. And it's not like they're present during the entire film, I've seen Spidey twice now and not one print I saw had them. You're actually going to skip out on seeing a great film because of a millisecond distraction? If that's truly your reason then it's your loss.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Will G:

Probably for effect. Lots of people actually like the look. JJ Abrams filmed a segment of the "Alias" pilot (Sydney & her Dad in the car) with anamorphic lenses just to get the oval effect of the background lights.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I will check out this DVD. The print of Spider-Man 2 I watched wasn't the best as it played out in the theater, but I know the DVD print will be without those damages.

Travis W.

Second Unit
Well...maybe I was just saying millisecond as a figure of speech? Do you think I'll really take the time to count how many milliseconds a bunch of dots are on the screen?

So you're justifying people avoiding Spider-Man 2 because of "42 milliseconds" of dots?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Lots of groups of 42 milliseconds, actually. In Matrix Reloaded the dots were very noticeable, here they weren't. Maybe they have less conspicous placing on local prints.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I saw Spidey 2 Fri. night and I'm going back for the early matinee today; and I saw the dots 2, maybe 3 times in a 15 minute span. They 'took me out' for only a few seconds. Believe me- don't let those things deter you from this motion picture. This thing works on so many different levels!

I can NOT wait for this on DVD!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks