What's new

Speakers for movies (1 Viewer)

Al Tank

Auditioning
Is it better to get Floor standings for mains, center, and a sub or get 4 bookshelves, center, and a sub for my ht.

I think the Floor standing would look better next to my 57' toshiba.

I would probably watch more movies than listen to music.

Please advice and thanks.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
I used to have a full set of Bookshelf speakers. I have just picked up a whole new system. I now have a full set of Definitve speakers. I find them exceptional for Movies. The floor standing towers each have a 15" sub in them, great for boomy movie bass. I can't recommend them enough for home theater. Just my 2 cents.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
The $1000 budget limits your choices for floor standing speakers as they are usually more expensive than bookshelves just because of their extra size. That said, bookshelf speakers, on stands (not in a bookcase), generally have better imaging than floor standing models. They really aren't a compromise if it's a well-made system. Paradigm have been my favorite budget speakers and their bookshelf systems are not remotely cheesy and sound great.

Truthfully, the best thing is to have matching speakers all the way around no matter what you get. A quality brand like PSB, Paradigm, JBL, or Energy will get you great sound for the money and give you the best bang for your buck. Don't get hung-up on the floor-standing/bookshelf debate, there are plenty of excellent speakers in all price ranges of both types.

Good luck and remember to always trust your ears and buy what sounds best to you. No matter the brand, the style, or cachet, any doubts are erased when you crank your fave movie and crack a smile. That's what it's all about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks