What's new

Speaker wire question (2 part question) (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
1) What gauge do you recommend for speaker wire and why?
2) Also, I was wondering if there is a problem with using extension cord wire as speaker wire. I saw a 14 gauge 100 ft. extension cord at Walmart for $8. Assuming the wires are copper inside, what makes it different than stuff you would buy at Best Buy or Circuit City?
thanks

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
My suggestion after looking at a lot of posts on this topic: 12 gauge for lengths over 20 feet fropm amp to speaker, 14 gauge for lengths under 20 feet. (In large auditoriums we may have to go to 10 gauge wire but that is not a typical home theater situation).
So the 100 foot 14 gauge extension cord would be useful only if you were planning to cut it into pieces.
Pay attention to the advertised or published gauge of the wire. Sometimes the wire is thin with a very thick plastic covering, and if the covering is transparent it makest he wire look thicker than it really is.
One of the characteristics of electricity (Ohm's Law) is that the resistance of the wires affects the current flow to the point where the sound quality changes. especially during loud bass passages where the current flow is large.
Other video hints:http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on July 24, 2001 at 05:53 AM]
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on July 24, 2001 at 05:54 AM]

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
You can find information and specs on what gauge is recommended based on distance here:Link Removed
Select multiconductor & paired cable and then speaker cables under the audio/video section.
[Edited last by Brian Corr on July 24, 2001 at 08:54 AM]

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I thought copper wire is just copper wire and whether or not you get it from an cheap extension cord or an overpriced speaker wire reel doesn't make a difference. The thickness of extension cords are usually quite thick, and when compared to a wire of equal thickness at Best Buy it is ridiculously much cheaper. Does anyone have a valid reason why it is not good to just use an extension cord for speaker wire? thanks

Steve_D

Second Unit
Oh no, not another "cable is cable, wire is wire" debate.
------------------
Link Removed

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Brian,
There is nothing wrong with using the cheap, extension cord or lamp cord cable.
Just get at least 14 ga and you should be fine (up to 100' or so).

Steve T

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
I was using AR 12 ga for my front L/R/C and switched to Radio Shack 14 ga flat due to it was neater. No difference in sound quality.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw a 14 gauge 100 ft. extension cord at Walmart for $8. Assuming the wires are copper inside, what makes it different than stuff you would buy at Best Buy or Circuit City?
High-quality speaker wire should be oxygen-free copper. Higher-priced wire will also have finer strands, which makes it more flexible and easier to handle.
Oxidation will eventually be a problem with standard zip-cord. Oxygen-free speaker wire will last longer, but might not necessarily make any difference in the way things sound--before sets in oxidation, that is.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
The shielding on an extension cord should be designed to prevent electric shocks to anyone handling the cord. In other words, it needs to prevent a 50Hz, 110V, 5-10A signal (in the USA) from getting out of the wire. The shielding on speaker wire should be designed to prevent external RFI and EMI from affecting the signal being carried in the wire. This involves signals in the 10s of volts, at much much higher frequencies. I'm not sure if the two requirements are one and the same, or they would result in different choice of material/design for the shielding, but if I remember my electronics classes, these should be two fairly different ballgames.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
In pragmatic terms, IMO, a good quality speaker cable should:
have a total conductor cross-sectional area equivalent to AWG 12 gauge or heavier
be multi-stranded (100+ strands) for good handling
flexibility
have a hard wearing sheath, which is easily stripped back at
the point of connection
have one conductor easily distinguishable from the other by
some sort of obvious marker
try home depot and don't get snookered into the boutique cables

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
quote: The shielding on speaker wire should be designed to prevent external RFI and EMI from affecting the signal being carried in the wire.[/quote]
This is not correct. Both zip cord (i.e., extension cords) and speaker wire are protected by a plastic jacket, as is most wire, but the jacket on speaker wire does not have shielding properties. Shielding is achieved by wrapping the signal wires with a protective metal covering, as you see with typical signal cables or RG-6.
Chu's advice on what to look for in a high-quality speaker wire is excellent. However, I would avoid that generic copper/silver speaker wire that the hardware stores sell. The silver side is nickel or something like that. Get speaker wire that is all copper.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
[Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on July 25, 2001 at 11:17 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks