What's new

thought on the audio equipment. (1 Viewer)

Danish Puri

Auditioning
Real Name
Danish Puri
Hello all! I have been reading these forums today and I must say, there are a lot of extremely knowledgeable people here! So, I thought this would be a perfect place to reach out for some thoughts and suggestions on my first HTS.

Overview:
I am looking for something on the mid-range as far as budgets go - about $4000 excluding television. I imagine it will be used for movies and TV 90% and music 10% of the time.

Room layout: HT area will be for my finished (carpeted, drywall and wood bookcases) part of the basement. The room is about 20' deep from TV wall to back wall. TV wall is 14.5' wide. Facing the TV wall there is a glass doorway to the sit out to the left and wall on the right. The plan is for 3+1+1+1+1 recliner couch with a small bar counter along the back wall.

Considering:
Front Tower Speakers -JBL Studio 290 3-way Dual 8" Floorstanding Loudspeaker
Center Speaker - JBL Studio 235C Dual 2.5-way 6.5" Center Channel Loudspeaker
Surround Speaker - JBL Arena 120 2-way 5-1/2" (140mm) Bookshelf / Surround Loudspeakers
Atmos Speakers - Boston Acoustic HSi 475 2-Way 5-1/4" LCR In-Wall Speaker
Subwoofer - JBL ES 250PW
AV receiver - Denon AVR-X2400H 7.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD A/V Receiver with Bluetooth and WIFI

With this 5.1.2 set-up (without wires) I am right around $3950$ with tax. If there is a compelling reason why something in this set-up doesn't work, or could be improved. I am open to spending a little more to make it better. the reason to go with this is that JBL is the only Home Theater Designer in my city with any experience in making an HT.

Questions:
Overall thoughts on this combination?
Anything you would change?

Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions, comments you may have to offer!

Cheers,
Danish.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Speakers are completely a matter of personal preference. Different people like different things. Having said that, in your price range I would, hands down, look first to the Elac Uni-Fi speakers. UF5 for front, UC5 for center and UB5 for surround.

In any case, don't get a sub from JBL, Elac or any of the regular speaker manufacturers. There are companies that specialize in subs, like SVS and Hsu and do them better. Look at the SVS PB-1000 or SB-1000 to begin with.

"The reason to go with this is that JBL is the only Home Theater Designer in my city with any experience in making an HT." I don't understand that statement. You shouldn't need a designer.

Danish Puri

Auditioning
Real Name
Danish Puri
Speakers are completely a matter of personal preference. Different people like different things. Having said that, in your price range I would, hands down, look first to the Elac Uni-Fi speakers. UF5 for front, UC5 for center and UB5 for surround.

In any case, don't get a sub from JBL, Elac or any of the regular speaker manufacturers. There are companies that specialize in subs, like SVS and Hsu and do them better. Look at the SVS PB-1000 or SB-1000 to begin with.

"The reason to go with this is that JBL is the only Home Theater Designer in my city with any experience in making an HT." I don't understand that statement. You shouldn't need a designer.

availability is the problem here. even if i plan on sourcing the Elac speakers they're costing me a bomb. I am going with a designer because I have 0 knowledge and expertise in planning and building a Home Theater. i do not understand how sound travels and bounces on different surfaces. I want it to look as pretty as it is functional and JBL is the only you who/s doing it in the city. there is MK audio too but the sales man wasn't good enough to sell me their product (yes i'm that kind of a guy).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When you live somewhere that availability is extremely limited, you need to explain that at the beginning, or people waste their time coming up with solutions that aren't possible.

Also, you aren't supposed to cross-post the identical question in multiple sections of the forum. You also posted this in the speakers section.

Danish Puri

Auditioning
Real Name
Danish Puri
When you live somewhere that availability is extremely limited, you need to explain that at the beginning, or people waste their time coming up with solutions that aren't possible.

Also, you aren't supposed to cross-post the identical question in multiple sections of the forum. You also posted this in the speakers section.
my apologies for the duplication.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hi, Danish.

Welcome to the forum.

I too would recommend **not** paying some HT "designer" to do it for you -- if you were spending much more and getting high end gear to justify the extra expense, then maybe.

RE: the sound setup, that Denon receiver (like most such receivers) comes w/ Audyssey MultiEQ XT for that purpose -- that should simplify setup enough for you after you place the speakers in reasonable locations aimed more or less toward the main listening location.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2400H/EU/EN/GFNFSYhguxmdhl.php

After running Audyssey setup, do some of your own listening to see if you're getting satisfying results. And then, make small tweaks (and listen for each tweak) as you find the need.

Enjoy the process and save some $$$ toward better gear.

Personally, I would also consider buying used quality gear... though that may be a step too far beyond your comfort zone at this point I suppose...

_Man_

Danish Puri

Auditioning
Real Name
Danish Puri
Hi, Danish.

Welcome to the forum.

I too would recommend **not** paying some HT "designer" to do it for you -- if you were spending much more and getting high end gear to justify the extra expense, then maybe.

RE: the sound setup, that Denon receiver (like most such receivers) comes w/ Audyssey MultiEQ XT for that purpose -- that should simplify setup enough for you after you place the speakers in reasonable locations aimed more or less toward the main listening location.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2400H/EU/EN/GFNFSYhguxmdhl.php

After running Audyssey setup, do some of your own listening to see if you're getting satisfying results. And then, make small tweaks (and listen for each tweak) as you find the need.

Enjoy the process and save some $$$ toward better gear.

Personally, I would also consider buying used quality gear... though that may be a step too far beyond your comfort zone at this point I suppose...

_Man_
thank you for the suggestion, the designer is only charging me 250-300$ plus the material required for the constructions from the ground up including all the sounds panels and diffusers and whatnot, right now it's an empty room with 0 furniture or anything for that matter. it's a small price i'm willing to pay for the finnes in work he's gonna provide me. i'm planning on getting marble countertops and onyx tables and what not and all this requires the creativity and experience that i simply lack.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
There will likely be additional costs, either up front halfway through the project or hidden in material costs.

I have 0 knowledge and expertise

This being the case, why not listen to the folks here who do?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
thank you for the suggestion, the designer is only charging me 250-300$ plus the material required for the constructions from the ground up including all the sounds panels and diffusers and whatnot, right now it's an empty room with 0 furniture or anything for that matter. it's a small price i'm willing to pay for the finnes in work he's gonna provide me. i'm planning on getting marble countertops and onyx tables and what not and all this requires the creativity and experience that i simply lack.

Well, I suppose... We were mainly concerned that your choice of using an HT "designer" is somehow severely limiting your choices for gear, but I guess $250-300 is not too much.

Just make sure the "designer" is not steering you away from better choices in gear though...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks