What's new

Sync problem with audio of live TV broadcasts when played through home audio setup rather than the speakers in the smart TV (1 Viewer)

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
Hi, if I am watching live TV with the sound coming directly through the speakers on the smart TV itself, the sound is in perfect sync; but when I turn on my 5/1 stereo system and listen through that, the sound is noticeably out of sync, with maybe a half-second delay. Can I assume this is due to some sort of weird problem with the cable that connects the audio out to the amplifier? It's a pretty short cable, for whatever that's worth.

P.S. When I watch and listen to a Blu-Ray disc or a DVD, the sound is also in perfect sync. The problem only occurs with live TV broadcasts.

Thoughts?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My best guess is you have a manual lip sync (delay) set up in your receiver, that is correct for the disc player (which often needs it) and not needed for live TV. It also depends on how you receive live TV. Do you use an antenna and the TV's internal tuner?

There isn't always a perfect solution, but using auto lip sync in the receiver usually fixes it.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
Thanks. I receive my TV programs through a digital antenna. I will look for "auto lip sync." Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks. I receive my TV programs through a digital antenna. I will look for "auto lip sync." Thanks!
It should be in the audio settings in the receiver. Most likely you should turn off any manual setting and turn on Auto. If it's an older receiver, it might not have that feature.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
It IS a very old receiver, so it might not have that feature, but I will look for it. Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It probably doesn't have auto then, which means you'd have to adjust it for each source.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My TV's have an "Audio Delay" setting for this type of scenario. It's available when I select an external source [soundbar, receiver, etc.] to process audio. For Samsung TV's it's accessed as follows. Menu > Sound > Additional Settings > Audio Delay. Your TV may have something similar.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
My TV's have an "Audio Delay" setting for this type of scenario. It's available when I select an external source [soundbar, receiver, etc.] to process audio. For Samsung TV's it's accessed as follows. Menu > Sound > Additional Settings > Audio Delay. Your TV may have something similar.
I have a Samsung TV, tried your solution and it worked perfectly. THANKS SO MUCH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks