What's new

Need Help with Some Basics! (1 Viewer)

BOOTHA06

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
I apologize for the simplicity of these questions, or if similar questions have been answered in earlier posts. I am a novice, at best, when it comes to home theater components. When I built my house, I wired my living room for surround sound, and I also wired for L/R speakers in my kitchen and outside on my patio. All of these wires are run to a box in my living room entertainment center area. My intention is to be able to run the living room, kitchen, and patio as three separate zones off of one receiver. Keep in mind that high quality sound, surround effects, etc. are not as important to me as keeping the number of components minimized and being able to run the three zones simultaneously. I found this receiver that I think can do what I'm looking for, with the understanding that my "surround" will now have to operate as 3.1, if I want to run the other 2 zones. If the address below does not work, the receiver is Sony Model STR-DN1070.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=STRDN1070

The first, simple question is, will this do what I'm looking for above, with the mentioned compromise of 3.1 sound?

The second part of the question is what I'm finding more confusing. Until now, I've been using a "Surround Sound in a Box" that I purchased fairly inexpensive several years ago. My intention was to use the speakers that were included with this system with the receiver above. However, with the very little I know about the topic, I'm now worried I may damage the receiver or the speakers if I try to do this. The rated impedance for the speakers are each 3 ohms, but the receiver above says the speakers should be rated 6-16 ohms. The speakers are also Sony and models (Front)SS-TS72, (Center)SSCT-71, (Surround)SSTS-71, (Sub)SSWS-74. I am willing to sacrifice the speakers, but I don't want to wreck a brand new receiver because of my ignorance. Is this enough information to answer whether or not I should or should not use these speakers? Here is a link to the old system, as well:

https://docs.sony.com/release//DAVHDX266.pdf

If I should not use these speakers, can anyone suggest a low cost option to complete a 3.1 system, or an alternative that still allows me to use the receiver above? Thanks in advance for any help... I can provide any other information needed.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I couldn't get to the manual from the link provided (continual "connection reset" messages), but it appears you're on the right track with the receiver. There are basically three things to consider when using the zone feature: when the zones are powered, what channel the zones make use of, and whether the zone supports digital input. That receiver is powered for zones 2 & 3, so that's good (otherwise you'd need an amp between the receiver and speakers). The zones do make use of some of the primary listening area channels, but you've identified that and are okay with the results. The third consideration is whether the zones play digital and analog inputs or just analog. Without the manual I couldn't determine that. An analog only zone would only play radio and analog inputs (from red/white components, such as a CD player). I haven't purchased a receiver in a couple of years, maybe they've gone beyond the analog only days, but you should confirm. (And if you post you can't, I'll try the manual again, maybe it a post-Christmas website rush that's keeping me out.)

You should definitely not uses the 3 ohm speakers. The receiver may not be damaged, it may just go into protect mode and shut off, but it's not worth the risk, as the receiver was not designed for 3 ohm speakers.

For the living room, it's hard to recommend speakers without knowing what your criteria are, so I'll just start with a basic low-cost "decent" speaker: (Albeit, not one I would use if music listening was my primary consideration.)
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-B...sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+speakers+andrew+jones. If you give provide more information on expected quality level, general source use (music/movies), room size, and price range we can give better suggestions.

For the kitchen and patio you'll probably want in-ceiling and outdoor speakers. I don't have a lot of experience there so I'll leave that for others to comment on.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
To echo Al, this receiver does support a 3rd zone - but I can confirm you will need each zone to be running a separate source. For example, you could run HDMI in Zone 1, CD in Zone 2 and radio or something else in Zone 3. You can't really get away from that problem without spending a lot more on your receiver. If you can accept that limitation, then you will need to replace your speakers.

Now, if you are willing to stretch your receiver budget slightly - there is a refurbished receiver available which is a fantastic deal and has a great amp section to boot, offering powered zone 2 and 3, as well as HDMI support for a seocnd zone: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...etworking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!specifications

If you want to be able to route all your HDMI sources (the same or different) to multiple zones, you will have to step up to a higher end receiver, or purchase a separate multi-room audio system, like this: http://****/2izv0sn and then you will just need a receiver capable of routing pre-amp outs to zone 2 and 3.

BOOTHA06

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
I couldn't get to the manual from the link provided (continual "connection reset" messages), but it appears you're on the right track with the receiver. There are basically three things to consider when using the zone feature: when the zones are powered, what channel the zones make use of, and whether the zone supports digital input. That receiver is powered for zones 2 & 3, so that's good (otherwise you'd need an amp between the receiver and speakers). The zones do make use of some of the primary listening area channels, but you've identified that and are okay with the results. The third consideration is whether the zones play digital and analog inputs or just analog. Without the manual I couldn't determine that. An analog only zone would only play radio and analog inputs (from red/white components, such as a CD player). I haven't purchased a receiver in a couple of years, maybe they've gone beyond the analog only days, but you should confirm. (And if you post you can't, I'll try the manual again, maybe it a post-Christmas website rush that's keeping me out.)

You should definitely not uses the 3 ohm speakers. The receiver may not be damaged, it may just go into protect mode and shut off, but it's not worth the risk, as the receiver was not designed for 3 ohm speakers.

For the living room, it's hard to recommend speakers without knowing what your criteria are, so I'll just start with a basic low-cost "decent" speaker: (Albeit, not one I would use if music listening was my primary consideration.)
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-B...sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+speakers+andrew+jones. If you give provide more information on expected quality level, general source use (music/movies), room size, and price range we can give better suggestions.

For the kitchen and patio you'll probably want in-ceiling and outdoor speakers. I don't have a lot of experience there so I'll leave that for others to comment on.

Thank you very much for the reply. Your thoughts on the receiver make me feel better that this receiver will work for me. I did look into the outputs for zone 2 and 3 and there are some limitations, but I think I am okay with what outputs it allows. I've ordered the receiver and it should be here soon! As for the speakers, thanks for the information and the suggestion... I guess I'll be getting the new speakers sooner than I thought!! Thanks Again!

BOOTHA06

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
To echo Al, this receiver does support a 3rd zone - but I can confirm you will need each zone to be running a separate source. For example, you could run HDMI in Zone 1, CD in Zone 2 and radio or something else in Zone 3. You can't really get away from that problem without spending a lot more on your receiver. If you can accept that limitation, then you will need to replace your speakers.

Now, if you are willing to stretch your receiver budget slightly - there is a refurbished receiver available which is a fantastic deal and has a great amp section to boot, offering powered zone 2 and 3, as well as HDMI support for a seocnd zone: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...etworking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!specifications

If you want to be able to route all your HDMI sources (the same or different) to multiple zones, you will have to step up to a higher end receiver, or purchase a separate multi-room audio system, like this: http://****/2izv0sn and then you will just need a receiver capable of routing pre-amp outs to zone 2 and 3.

Thank you very much for the reply. I looked into the output sources allowed in each zone and I feel like I'll be okay with the limitations allowed... zone 2 and 3 will be CD, radio, Bluetooth, etc. and I don't really have need to have the same output on all 3 at the same time. At this point, I've settled on the receiver and I need to focus on the speakers now, I guess!! Thanks Again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks