What's new

Speaker Modeling Software Prediction (1 Viewer)

Joe Sabato

Auditioning
I have just finished "re-cycling" one of my old AR9ls towers with a Tempest. I was just using the subwoofer sections of the towers for my HT ( 10" and 12" woofers in each,F3 of 28 with a Qtc of .5) until "surround rot" set in.

They are 120L enclosures (net)and using WIN-ISD, UNIBOX, LSPcad, they are show mid Q alignments (~Qtc of .7)for the 120 L cabinet. My question is in regard to the predicted F3 in the sealed alignment; each program gives a slightly different answer ranging from 34 to 38 Hz, while ADIRE's 1 page sheet advertises an F3 of 31 in a 4 cu ft sealed box (slightly smaller than my enclosures). Isn't the math for using TS parameters set or am I missing something?

I will get some measurements after it is broken in using a Radio Shack SPL meter but was just interested in anyone's experience on the modeling accuracy.

BTW, I got the results expected, more HT "slam" but not quite as tight for music. I will convert the other cabinet soon. My thanks to Kyle Richardson for advice on this project as I was considering a ported Shiva as an alternative and the Tempest just cruises at high levels

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Yes, but..... the full tilt boogie math gets you the most theoretical accuracy and many programs/websites use/have varying degrees of 'lumped' constants which throw the results off some. WRT Adire, don't they add a little room Q to their estimates? WRT most accurate, I've been pleased with Lspcad.

Regardless, your hearing isn't acute enough down low to tell the difference unless the room really affects it, which it usually does.

GM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks