What's new

Soundbar or 5.1 Surround Sound? (1 Viewer)

sedor

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Ok so admittedly I am a noob in the home theater arena (we all have to start somewhere right). My experience is limited to...well basically I just enjoy watching a lot of tv. I tend to watch mostly HD tv programming through my cable box and I also stream a lot of media through my xbox 360. I am not HUGE into movies but I do watch them occasionally (as in maybe 1 or 2 per week). My media room is a small/medium sized living room (maybe 10X15 give or take a few feet). Let me start off by describing my setup and goals as well as budget.

All I have at the moment is the tv, which is a 50" Samsung Plasma 1080p. My goal is to stop using the nasty built in tv speakers and upgrade to something worthwhile without blowing my budget and getting way more equipment than I need. I'd also prefer to start small with quality gear and have the option to upgrade if needed in the future (for instance maybe start with a 2.1 setup with the option to upgrade to a 5.1. I don't know if this is even possible. Told you I was a noob).

So far I have been debating on starting with a Polk Audio IHT 3000 Soundbar. I know that by going this route I have absolutely no upgrading options, but I figured that with the affordable price tag if I chose to upgrade to a better system I could put this in my bedroom paired with my 32" Samsung. Of course I am the type of person who understands that you get what you pay for and one thing I want to avoid is cheap, no-name equipment that won't hold its value and i'll want to trade out in a matter of months. I feel like I might spend $300 on the polk audio soundbar and almost instantly not be completely satisfied with the results. True I could place it on my other tv, but my goal right now is to get something on my larger screen.

Realistically I think i'll end up spending between $400 - $600 but maybe i'm completely off...does a quality system always cost more than this? Can I start with a few quality pieces and add more as time goes by?

Suggestions on specific equipment would be greatly appreciated. Please help me make a good decision!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A 2.1 system from Elemental Designs will run you around $850 for the speakers (1 up from the lowest level) and their smallest sub. Add in a good $400 receiver and you are at $1,200. Some people will think this is overkill and all you need is a $99 system from Wal-Mart. Others wouldn't touch this crap with a 10 foot pole. It's all about what you think is quality. The only way to determine this is go listen to some speakers.

I started out in high school with Sears speakers. They were LOUD and that's what you wanted in the 80's. I kept listening, trying new things and finally built a set of speakers based on a proven design that is available for free on the net. I never knew what I was missing. I've been listening to these speakers for the last 4 years. I knew they weren't perfect but they were better than anything I ever owned. Last Friday I had the opportunity to listen to speakers that cost $55,000 a pair. You don't listen to those speakers, you experience them. I finally have a reference point and another goal. I'll never own anything close to this but I know what sounds good and what sounds like crap.

sedor

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
My other option might be to go with a Samsung HW-C700 7.2 Receiver priced on sale at $229.00:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882676164

And a set of Polk Audio RM75 Speaker combo which comes with the front/left, surround, and center speaker as well as a couple stands as a freebie for $229.00:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290146

And last but not least, a polk audio PSW10 sub for $99, but I have to admit I am going with the cheapest polk sub simply to stay in budget. Will this still be a decent piece of equipment:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034

Or, I could save a little on the speaker setup and go with the same receiver (is this a decent receiver, its got HDMI inputs which I know I want) and go with this polk speaker set that comes bundled with the subwoofer for $229.00 (I just didn't like the look of the speakers as much):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290066

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Up your sub budget $50 and get this one - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635

I have never listened to a Samsung receiver. I didn't even know they made a receiver but this one looks good and it gets some good reviews.

sedor

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Craigslist was my friend on this one and last minute I actually found an awesome deal on an Onkyo SR508, a Klipsch Quintet III, and a Klipsch 12" Subwoofer. All for $400, which was the very low end of my budget.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That was a great deal. Sometimes craigslist is a friend and sometimes I find great deals on things I don't need! I picked up an good-as-new Integra 9.8 pre-pro a couple of weeks ago for only $400

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks