What's new

Soul Calibur 2 for Consoles - Revealed! (1 Viewer)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
cool. What I don't understand is why did it take so long to get a sequel? Soul Caliber was the best fighting game I ever owned. It was the only one that felt fresh after years of repeated plays.

I'm a fan of the series but not so much that I'll get multiple copies. I'm quite happy with DOA3 on XBOX and the thought of playing as link already has a smile on my face so I'll go for the Gamecube version.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I consider SC on Dreamcast THE best fighting game of all time. Well, in the realm of 3D fighters that is. I still prefer 2D fighters over the 3D iterations of today.
My justification for getting the GC and Xbox versions are this:
  1. I own both a GC and an Xbox
  2. The GC controller is subpar for fighting games
  3. I don't own a PS2
  4. I like the Controller S for Xbox for fighting games.[/list=1]
    No tto mention I cant pass up having Link in a SC game. :D

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Well, Link will likely only be in the cube version. Makes the choice of which to get much harder since I'd prefer teh xbox version otherwise.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I also have both an XBOX and GC... but I have to go with the XBOX version.

GC's controller is just a PIECE OF SHIT when it comes to fighting games... I don't think I could stand playing with that little tiny D-pad.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That's why Super Smash Bros is a hit, not because it's a good game, but because "you can be Link!"

And agreed, the GC pad is a piece of shit for fighting, has to be XB or PS2

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
I already have the PS2 import pre-ordered. I'm very tempted to add the GC version, because of Link. And maybe, just maybe, I'll pick up the Xbox version when it's released over here.

Still the question remains, why Spawn? McFarlane hasn't done any real comics work in years, concentrating more on being a entertainment mogul. He chased away a lot of the creators he hired to work on his properties. Spawn has dropped far very down the comics totem pole. It just seems like an odd choice.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

I'll see you and raise you with "it's an awful choice." While I personally can't remember when Spawn was actually cool (I did love the DC game, mind you), he is so unbearably past his prime that he's practically archaic.

Also can't say I'm particuarly enthralled with Heihachi in the PS2 rev--perhaps Klonoa in a revved up 'werewolf' form would have been a better choice? Or maybe Rau from Mark of Kri?

As for Xbox, uh...Blinx? Abe? Or, hey, what about one of the cars from Project Gotham!

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Well the PS2 one bores me to death... Tekken characters?? ZZzzzz...

The Spawn character looks awesome in that screen. The Link looks like Robin Hood or something. I've never seen a Link so tall before.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I seems like McFarlane did the artwork for "Necrid" (which will be on all platforms) and then they probably asked him for a character to use for the Xbox. Master Chief would be my idea of a cool home-grown Xbox character.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have been OK with that except for the fact that Master Chief interacting with the medievil SC characters would have been...odd.
Very, very odd.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
SC is just getting weird. I like how Namco is venturing to do something diffferent but seeing Heihachi in SC without a weapon seems like a joke. I have all 3 systems and I'll be pulling my hair out wondering which one to get! :angry: Exclusive characters per system has got to be the dummest idea evAR!!!!11111111

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I have low expectations for the next iteration. I suspect it will be a victim of programming for the lowest common denominator.

-Dave

paul h

Supporting Actor
As long as it's as enjoyable a game as the original Soul Calibur with plenty of depth and playability then i'm more than happy. Surely thats what counts regardless of what platform it's developed on.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Spawn is still huge in Japan, that's why he's there

No. It's because it's a good game.
No, it's not. No one would care about the game if it had unique characters. The fighting system and response time are poor. Play Power Stone 2 and see a game that is superior in every way.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Have none of you played SC2 in the arcades? It's just like SC, but with more characters and better graphics. And that's not a bad thing at all.

I played it for the first time a wweek or so ago, and I thought it was great. And judging by those screenshots, the console version is going to look better than the arcade, a la the Dreancast version.

And I'll have to agree with Jeff about SSB:M. If it wasn't chock full of Nintendo characters, and other cool stuff, it would be a pretty poor fighting game. Powerstone 1/2 would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks