What's new

Soul Calibur 2 for Consoles - Revealed! (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Wow those screens of Link look awesome.If you're an insider at ign they have movies of link in action. Even though I have finally accepted Celda, seeing those screens makes me wonder how awesome a realistic looking Zelda game would be on the cube. Oh well. Even though the controller isn't at all designed for fighting games, I think I'll most likely get this for the cube. If worse comes to worse and I can't stand the controller, I'll buy one of those playcube adapters or get one of those new hori controllers.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Am I the only person in the world who didn't find the original SC as amazing as everyone else? I mean, it was okay and all, but I enjoyed Tekken 3 a lot more at that time. It wasn't as pretty, but it sure was fun.

I guess I'm a simpleton when it comes to fighting games.

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
No, you are right. Tekken 3 was more fun. SC has a really boring arena system, and it's seemingly cool use of weapons is completely undercut by the fact that the weapons don't harm the fighters realistically. Stabbing a guy through the heart takes a tenth of his energy away! It diffuses the potential of weapons fighting in videogames.

But it did play well and it looked awesome. Just wasn't as fun as Tekken 3.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I mean, it was okay and all, but I enjoyed Tekken 3 a lot more at that time.
That is of course open to debate since its a matter of preference. I personally feel the Tekken series has been pretty damn dull since the second entry.
The move from Soul Edge (Sould Blade on the PS1 if I remember correctly) to Soul Calibur 2 was significant in both the way the game played and the gorgeus graphics. It was just a hella fun game and it also had IMO the depth that Tekken lacks to even this day (No offense Tekken lovers, I'm just not a fan anymore).
It also appealed nicely to the single player with the unlockable weapons, items, artwork, hidden modes and a fairly robust single player game. For me it was a far far better game than Tekken 3 but hey, if you enjoyed it more Josh, more power to you my man. Nothing wrong with that.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm leaning towards the XBox version due to the better controller. My PS2 is on the upstairs (interlaced) TV, and Soul Calibur needs 480p.

I have heard (unsubstantiated) that the first version was written for the Gamecube, then ported to the other two.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Namco fighters in general reward button mashing. In Tekken 3 a mashing Law could give a mid-level player a run for his money. The only way to combat this was to cheap out the other player and when you have to result to cheap moves on a newbie, the game already has a huge flaw. When two upper level players play I'll quote when I say it's "poetry in motion."

I have SC and play it sparingly but experienced players who play both tend to admit SC has more cheapness. Mitsurugi anyone?

JoshF

Supporting Actor
It also appealed nicely to the single player with the unlockable weapons, items, artwork, hidden modes and a fairly robust single player game. For me it was a far far better game than Tekken 3 but hey, if you enjoyed it more Josh, more power to you my man. Nothing wrong with that.
I think you uncovered something here. I always play fighters against people, almost never alone. That may be why I enjoyed Tekken 3 a lot more... the Tekken parties were more fun than the SC parties - and there were many of both.

Damien

Supporting Actor
For those who didn't catch it, the game is slated to come to US shores in august. I know they wan't to perfect perfection, but from what I hear the game doesn't differ much from the first, which would be basically four years old when it's released. Since it comes out in late March in japan, this one may have to be imported.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
I've played the arcade version and find it superior to the original. In particular I found the gameplay quite a bit faster and the controls were improved.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Typical late Namco release for no reason. They'd better use all that extra time to add Live support

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
If they needed a Spawn character, Angela would've fit into the Soul Calibur universe quite nicely.

-Dave

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
Angela would be more fitting. But since McFarlane lost the court case to Neil Gaiman, there's no way in hell he's going open up that can of worms.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Ah, I hadn't heard that bit of news. I quit reading Spawn a looong time ago (as you can probably tell :) ).
-Dave

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think that this is a good example of why console exclusives are good: because they generate sales specifically for one platform by appealing to it's audience. Granted, they can put Heihachi in the game for free (it's their damn character) and Link is actually from a Nintendo series, but why Spawn? Because Todd MacFarlane designed a character for the game? Spawn is neat and all, but I wouldn't really call his inclusion a selling point. Link, yes. Heihachi, no.

Unfortunately, the GCN does have a horrible fighting game controller (except for Smash Bros., which is designed around it so it works perfectly). I'll probably get SC2 for PS2, unless the GameCube's controller setup is well done.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo series, but why Spawn? Because Todd MacFarlane designed a character for the game? Spawn is neat and all, but I wouldn't really call his inclusion a selling point.
Spawn is HUGE in Japan. I mean HUGE

American superhero comics don't sell very well in Japan, but Spawn sells gangbusters.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

Yep, played it to death and beyond and loved it (in fact, won an E3 press tourney for the first one), but that doesn't make SSBM a bad game; not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks