What's new

Sopranos Season 4 Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You know, with all the appreciation threads going on in the movies area, I wanted to put one forward here.

Season four of Sopranos gets lambasted like mad, but going back through it on DVD this week, havaing just been through the first three seasons, I'm always impressed with how solid Season 4 was with following up on old story lines and establishing new ones that are paying off now.

Some of the things in Season4 are payoffs from Season2, but some of the implications are so well thought out that having watched them again, now knowing what happens a few eps into Season5, it means a lot more.

The moments that really stand out are the fact that Tony knew that it was over with carm as far back as the first two eps of Season 4.. when Carm invited her Brother-in-law over, to work up stock options, Tony asked to think about it. When Tony went to his accountant, the advice was "both good ideas, but the trust.. if you ever divorce her, you can't revoke it.. and it stays going to her." Tony held out and refused to sign it, with that being the only downside. Even as early as the beginning of the season, he was thinking divorce. Not death, for had carm died, the impacts of the trust would be positive for him as well.

Tony trapping himself by begging Artie to take his 50k on a 1 point loan..

In every Sopranos thread we get into this "oh, it's such a recovery from season4" as though Season 4 was a trainwreck. Having watched all the seasons back to back, and just finishing four, knowing what I know now, I still stick by my thought that Season4 had a lot more story depth and meaning to it then it ever gets credit for.

(and, btw, I'm one of the few who seems to really like the Columbus episode)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to rewatch them, but to me, my least fav season was when Christopher went to hollywood - which I thought was silly.

I thought season 4 was strong - there was only 1 or 2 episodes I didnt really care for out of the whole season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks