What's new

Sony STR-DE875 (1 Viewer)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Can any of you tell me what you think about this receiver? Or possibly one in the same family? It's what I was thinking about buying.
This is my first major upgrade in 15 years, and, just like everyone else, I'd like to make sure before I buy. I only have around $400to budget.

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
I would stay away from all the Sony "DE" series. From the reviews on this forum the receiver that seems to be getting a good review is the new Onkyo 595. It can be had for around $ 450. Try doing a search on this forum for the Onkyo. If you want a Sony receiver than take a look at the "DB" series or "ES" series but they are a lot more money.

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
Just out of curiosity, what exactly is "wrong" with the DE series of Sony? According to the people here at the forums, I haven't heard anything overly negative....
Chris

Cy Jervis

Agent
The DB line uses some of the components from the ES line and looks more like an ES. As for price I got the DB-940 about a year ago for $399 shipped, if you call J&R you can usually talk them down if they want to make a sale, or you should be able to talk them down another $50 from that for the DB-840. My dad has the DE-935 and my DB-940 looks and sounds better, trust me you won't regret it.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I have owned and loved a Sony STR-DB930 for just over 2 years now. I don't plan on replacing it for at least another 2-3 years (and will look to the Sony DB series at that time). I agree, GET THE DB SERIES!! The sound and build quality is much better than the DE series, for only hundered or so higher.
Try www.onecall.com. I've purchased pretty much all of my HT equip from them. I have 2 friends that I recommended try them and they also have great experiences. As an example: I was so disapointed when I waited 2 1/2 months for the DB930 to be release and it came to me DOA. I phoned onecall and they fed-exed me another unit = over night. All I had to do was pay for and ship the old unit back. THAT'S SERVICE!!

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your replies ... and keep 'em coming!
As an aside, it just shows how diverse we as a people are. Case in point: over at audioreview.com most owners of this receiver are really happy with it. :)

Doug_F

Auditioning
If you can budget a little more money, you may want to consider moving up to the ES series. Sony bought back my DB930 recently (due to being declared "unrepairable" after blowing some internal components), and I was going to replace it with a DB940, but decided to move up to the STR-V333ES since the price difference was so little. The ES series comes with a five year warranty, compared to the two year warranty of the DE and DB series. I paid $480 shipped for my ES.
[Edited last by Doug_F on August 12, 2001 at 04:11 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks