Trying to play a DTS CD on my DVD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin H, May 11, 2004.

1. Kevin H

Kevin H Agent

Hi, I recently obtained a CD containing a DTS version of an album from a friend. However, when I put it into my DVD player, all I hear from the speakers is static.

I have a Sony DVP-NS400D, which supposedly can handle DTS (I've played DVDs when I have the DTS audio selected) hooked up to the 5.1 connections with a bunch of RCA cables to my Sony STR-DE875, which can also handle DTS sound. Anyway, I put in the CD and static plays. I go into the DVD player options and see the following options:

DIGITAL OUT: OFF/ON (if on, you get the following options)
    DOLBY DIGITAL (D-PCM/DOLBY DIGITAL)
    DTS (OFF/ON)
    48kHz/96kHz PCM: (48kHz/16bit OR 96kHz/24bit)

I tried all kinds of things, but couldn't find something that works. Can anyone help?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

You'll need a digital connection. DTS on CDs is encoded differently from DTS on DVDs. To your player it looks like a PCM track, and what you're hearing is your player passing that signal through as if it were PCM. Since it's already an analog signal when it reaches your receiver, the receiver just amplifies it.

Since it appears your receiver can handle both DD and DTS decoding, you're probably better off with a digital connection anyway.

M.

3. Kevin H

Kevin H Agent

Ah, ok. But DTS works fine through regular cables on DVDs, and getting the digital connections would only help on DTS CDs? If not, could a non-audiophile like myself really tell the difference between the digital connections and the regular ones? (Also keeping in mind that a lot of DVDs don't even have DTS sound)

Anyway, thank you very much for the quick response!

4. Michael Reuben

Probably, but I can't tell you which one would sound better. It all depends on which unit has the better DACs (digital-to-analog converters): the player or the receiver.

M.

5. Kevin H

Kevin H Agent

Thanks a lot for your help Michael.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

As Michael said, DTS CDs will ONLY work via digital. You only need a single digital connection between the DVD and receiver, and with your gear, it is going to be a toss up, and I'm guessing it won't be a night and day difference between the two.

7. Kevin H

Kevin H Agent

OK, I just looked at the back of my DVD player and at the back of my receiver and noticed a Digital Out (Coaxial and optical) on the DVD player as well as a corresponding coaxial input on the receiver. So assuming I try this to make it work, what kind of cable would I need to fulfill this coaxial cable requirement? It couldn't just be one RCA cable through the two could it? How much would one of these cables run me typically?

8. Michael Reuben

Nothing special. Any well-shielded 75-ohm cable will do. Video cables are 75-ohm (or at least they're supposed to be). A basic Radio Shack video cable should be sufficient. Shouldn't cost much, depending on the length.

And if you just want to try out the connection, use one of the 6 cables you're currently running between your player and receiver.

M.

9. Kevin H

Kevin H Agent

Awesome, that works great just by switching the one coaxial cable from the 5.1 outputs on the DVD to the one coaxial input on the stereo. Now the question is, what is the difference between the two settings on my DVD player under the heading "Dolby Digital": D-PCM and Dolby Digital? What should I set my DVD player to?

10. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Set it to Dolby Digital. If you set it to PCM, you will only be getting Stereo or at most, Pro-Logic. DD is far superior.

11. John Garcia

John

For testing only. Michael said 75 OHM cable, which analog interconnects may or may not be, and using a cable that is not may cause issues with sound. Either use a cable that is specifically for coaxial digital or use a spare video cable you have laying around, as coaxial digital uses more or less the same specs as video cables.

12. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

Just for the record, I've had no problems using audio interconnect cables for coaxial digital signals. Currently I'm using a 2M cable for my DVD's digital connection to my receiver, and a 8M cable between my computer and receiver. I have no idea what the impedance is. The long one is an el-cheapo, the short one mid level, both car stereo interconnects.

Certainly I advise using a cheap video cable over one sold specifically as 'digital cable', but my experience tells me even a normal audio interconnect may work just fine.

Aaron Gilbert

13. John Garcia

John
  14. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    If Bistream is available for each format DD and dts you should probably setup the player that way.

You probably know this already but just in case, if your programming your player make sure there is no disc in the player or the player will think your trying to program the disc.

I found out the hard way and in fact the sales reps at the store that I bought it at were clueless also. It was the mgr. who knew the answer. That was when dvd players were fairly new about 5 years ago.

Peter m.