What's new
World Wide Stereo

Sony Shares down 2.75%: Concerns about Blu-ray equiped PS3 (1 Viewer)

Will d s

Stunt Coordinator
My local Target has started advertising for the PS3 and the WII. They have cleared out some ps2 and gamecube space to put in large signs for each next gen system stating "coming in Nov".

728x90

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My local Target has done the same thing, but this is the ONLY B&M advertising I've seen for the PS3. There's nothing at either of the big box retailers in my area.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Do you think that potential Wii/PS3 customers don't know about the systems?
Advertising at launch really isn't necessary.

Of course they will ramp up advertising over the next 6 weeks though.

Will d s

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure the PS3 will sell out without any advertising, but I still expect to see advertising to draw customers into the store so they can sell them something else when the ps3 is not available.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
"Advertising at launch isn't really necessary?" No personal offense intended, but that's a completely uniformed comment. It's very unusual that the launch of such a huge product is pretty much a no-show out on the street the month before its release.

The number of people who jump around here whenever anything even remotely critical of the PS3 or Sony is posted really is discouraging. :frowning:

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Well, considering the number of people that make uninformed comments, spread rumors, claim that Blu-ray is only Sony, or quote competitors' postings on the internet as fact, it's warranted.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This can be said for statements made on both sides of the Sony/Blu-ray "debate", and your comment is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. I was merely pointing out that the number of defensive, knee-jerk posts about Blu-ray is tiring, but said posts are tiring whatever the subject matter may be when people take it personally and get emotional. It never ceases to amaze me how people can get so worked up over a freakin' disc format or piece of hardware.

Cheech

Grip
Real Name
Rich

Out of curiosity, what games were people preordering with it?

I'm a gamer first, and movie buff second, so apologies for bringing up this question.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I also pre-ordered a PS3, and the store I was at got 8 for pre-order (which probably means ten total, but are saving some for employees). I was number 5, and 7 people were there with 15 minutes before opening. The eighth walked in 2 minutes after 10 AM, and the ninth and tenth right after. But they capped at eight, and that was that.

As I saw it, NO ONE ordered any games. I didn't. I haven't done the research yet, but I don't see any killer apps for the PS3 at release. Maybe RR7.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

exactly Chris, preorders were gone in few minutes...., even with 5 more times avaible preorders, it will be same...... gone in few minutes :)

PS3 is one of those products where this sentence is true :)

"Advertising at launch isn't really necessary"

Marek

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
16 machines or less per store? With such small numbers it's not really surprising, or a real news item, that they sold out. ;)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Let Sony believe that (which they don't) and MS and Nintendo will win the console war this holiday.

It is not for the few consoles that will be available at launch that advertising is needed, but it is to keep consummers from buying the readily available competition when they are not able to get their first choice as a holiday present.

Believing that advertising is not necessary is viewing the market very short sightedly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks