What's new

Sony Shares down 2.75%: Concerns about Blu-ray equiped PS3 (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
What else is new. Seems the release of the PS3 is following MS steps. Hope this problem is not an issue with the design.

Thomas Eisenmann

Cheech

Grip
Real Name
Rich
This isn't surprising. Neither Sony nor MS has produced a decent first-run console. Both my launch PS2 and XBox developed significant issues.

My launch 360, on the other hand, has been bulletproof (because I bought the extended warranty, naturally :P )

The problem I have with the first 360s, and now it sounds like PS3s, is that these companies have GOT to realize that game consoles take worlds more abuse than any other piece of home electronics than I can think of. People are going to be playing these things in homes without A/C, in 90 degree humid weather, on the carpeting. They can't assume that they're going to receive the same airflow or climate controlled conditions as most HT components.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

After reading the linked artical (top message) I wonder how we can make electornics (car radios) that can live one day in 160 temps in Pheonix, and one day in 40 below and work for 20 or 30 years, but a game console can't stand the heat of a show? Jezz, the people that showed up for the show must have been dropping like flys.

Thomas Eisenmann

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Stupid article headline. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the PS3 having Blu-ray on board.

Then again what would you expect from a site with a link to "HDVD.org" on its main page tabs. What's next? "XBOXs, PlayStation2s and XBOX 360s with DVD drives break down!"

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
and if you are a subscriber to Wall Street Journal, they carry the story.

Thomas Eisenmann

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Along with about a dozen other news sources.

As a side note, they are expanding the battery recall to include portable DVD's and portable game systems.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Well, You've gotta keep in mind that the average CPU will top 100 temps in good circumstances with extremely good airflow. With PS3 we're packing that into a small box, restricting the airflow horribly, and increasing the clock speed. Bad recipe, I've been saying for awhile that PS3 was going to have serious heat issues...

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

It's not an ad. It's a tab, a permanent part of their webpage, along with "Home" "Announcements" "Easter Eggs", etc.

It's just more FUD, pure & simple: The writer -

"Henning Molbaek - Editor-in-Chief
My home theater system
Toshiba A1 HD-DVD player, Pioneer RDS-859 THX Amp., Sony VH-50 (HD Ready) Projector on 82" screen, Paradigm Speakers."

Don't see any Samsung BD player in that setup.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Obviously, he must be on Toshiba's payroll.

Yep, and I will bet the Wall Street Journal, Associated Press, Canada News journalists are all Toshiba owners since their stories basically stated the same facts.

If you read the article, you would see the writer was quoting an Associated Press reporter. I have linked the AP article to my post above.

Thomas Eisenmann

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
PeterTHX,

DVDTown is a very good website when it comes to news on DVDs, HD DVDs, and Blu-ray. Yes it's a little misleading when you see a tab that says HDDVD.org but did you click on the tab? They have current news articles about both formats and reviews of movies on both formats. They even have favorable reviews on some movies on Blu-ray so I wouldn't call that a biased site.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

A lot of pro BD people are waiting for a different player. That's not an indication of any kind of bias.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
It was still not necessary to word the headline that way.

BD had absolutely nothing to do with the problem.

It's like saying: "HD DVD supporter Toshiba has recalls" to lead into the battery (*Sony* produced battery) recall story.

And it doesn't look as silly when they misspell "equipped"

Brian-W

Screenwriter

Sure it was - the heat issue, whatever, may be a problem, may not be, and the units displayed may not be production pieces but pre-production pieces with handmade parts.

However, everyone (investors) are expecting huge success with the PS3 based off of how well PS1 and PS2 did, and because the electronics group at Sony hasn't performed well the past few years (and PSP is in rapid decline). If there is (as has been reported, even by Kutaragi) a continual problem with the supply of blue-laser diodes, that could further reduce the number of machines available on day 1.

Sony has already had to cut back the number of machines coming out in Japan and the U.S., and delayed the European launch because it doesn't have enough to supply all three territories on day 1. Why? Lack of blue-laser diodes which are necessary for PS3 because it is based on Blu-Ray storage.

The headline is accurate.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

No. The article is about the machines overheating.
Absolutely nohing to do with Blu-ray. The PS3 would still have the Cell processor and the same internals (RAM, etc) BD-ROM or DVD.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just how does an article related to the PS3 have "absolutely nohing to do with Blu-ray"?

Brian-W

Screenwriter
That specific article, fine, overheating.

It still doesn't change the fact that the PS3 is dependant on blue-lasers; that Sony has had to move the release twice; that Sony has now had to cut off one territory on day 1; that Sony has had to cut the number available to the other two territories on day 1;

The stock has been on a continual slide this past year, having a minor spike; why? Because everyone, including Sony, is betting on PS3 (and Blu-Ray to a large degree). They're betting on it to continue the significant revenue generation that the division produces for Sony as a whole, and to ensure Blu-Ray dominates over HD-DVD thereby generating Sony further revenues from the licensing of the technology.

PS3 and Blu-Ray go hand in hand. Period.

Cheech

Grip
Real Name
Rich

Why are you fixated on this? It has nothing to do with the article, or the discussion.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Fixated?

Am I the only one who took journalism in school?

The headline implies that the problems are because the PS3 has Blu-ray, yet the following article does NOT support the headline! It's FUD, because to the casual reader it implies that.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Settle down and take a deep breath. You're reading some sort of ulterior motive into the post that's just not there. Let's attempt to be objective, OK?

The PS3 is, among other things, a Blu-ray player. The articles linked to in this thread are about the PS3 overheating at a trade show and repeatedly required a reset to restore functionality. How does this NOT affect the PS3's ability to play Blu-ray discs? How does this NOT bring the operation of the PS3 into question?

It's a piece of hardware being marketed by a Japanese CE company. It's not the Holy Grail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks