What's new

Sony SCD-C555ES and SACD...WOW! (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Collin,

The appropriate RS boxes have a 3rd connection for each source that is labeled for video; just use this connection for your 3rd audio channel. Thus, 2 boxes = 6 channels in per source (x 2 sources) and a single set of 6 channels out.

Doug

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
No problem. Glad to help.
Warren,
Very interesting. I thought the '8300 would be more competitive. A salesman at my local high-end dealer that sells Marantz gear raved about the '8300 when I was there a couple of weeks ago. This dealer does not sell Sony ES and bashes Sony ES. :rolleyes

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but you still need another channel supported by a physical interconnect out of the Sony to carry the < 120 Hz signal if the bass management operated in concert with the 2 ch audio outputs (making it a 3 ch output).
Ah, yes, I see what you mean. Ok, that makes sense.
So, I have a problem then. Something's not right. The stuff is hooked up correctly (though I'll check again tonight, just to be extra-sure). But assuming it is, the only explanation is that my receiver doesn't really have full analogue by-pass.
NAD's website is not helpful at all in devulging this information. Anyone know a better source? I'll try contacting them, but you know how that goes... :rolleyes:
Holy s***, I hope I don't have to buy a new receiver. :frowning:

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I will be purchasing a 555ES next week and was hoping someone has a link to where I can download the user manual in pdf format. I like to read the manual before I get the component if I can.
The 555ES will be replacing a Sony NS900V that I've had for about a year. I will use the 900V for DVD only. I've been real happy with the 900V for SACD but am hoping the 555 will improve redbook Cd performance.
Looking forward to joining the 555ES club.

Greg Johnson

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, as far as I know, Sony does not post owner's manuals on its web site. Sorry. The 'C555ES is not difficult to set up in my opinion. There are no real "tricks" to be aware of. Let us know how the 'C555ES works out for you.

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Keith. Unfortunately Sony is one of the few manufacturers left that doesn't put manuals on their web site.
One thing I forgot to ask in my last post. Is anyone using an ICBM with their 555? I'm not sure about the 555's bass management capabilities but will be using an ICBM with my player. This is why I like to read the manual beforehand so I don't have to ask so many questions.:)
Greg Johnson

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, the 'C555ES allows you to choose from a variety of different speakers arrangements (large or small, subwoofer or no subwoofer). However, it does not allow you to select the crossover frequency. To do that, you would need the ICBM. I don't use one myself.

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I got my 555ES yesterday and hooked everything up. This player sounds excellent. I listened to a lot of different SACD's for about 2 hours last night. There is no doubt that the 555ES SQ is in another league than my 900V DVD/SACD player. I was always very happy with the 900V SQ with SACD's and was pleasantly surprised how much better the 555 is. I haven't listened to any redbook CD's yet. I'll try that out this weekend.
I am very happy I made this purchase because I have a feeling that this may be the last affordable stand alone SACD/CD player Sony will produce. I think that from now on in this price range Sony will only produce DVD/SACD players. Of course, I'm probably wrong.
One thing did surprise me. There is no power button on the remote. Not at all a big deal though.
I put the 900V up for sale in the hardware for sale section for 350 shipped. I really hope someone buys it because my wife said I could buy the Denon DVD3800 if I can sell it.

Greg Johnson

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so remember the issue with why I'm hearing the sub when using 2-ch inputs? After toying with my system and contacting NAD, I think I've figured it out:
On my receiver, the 5.1 input is analogue pass-through (as verified from NAD customer support). The 2-Ch input is not.
The reason the 555ES gives you the option to select "2CH + SW" is if you use the 5.1 output to listen to 2-channel music. This way, it sends everything below 120HZ through the sub output.
The reason I'm hearing a sub with the 2-ch input has nothing to do with the settings on the player. It is some processing (probably with down conversion) on the NAD. After some extensive A/B listening, stereo music generally does sound better via the 5.1 inputs.
So, guess which one I'll be using for music listening from now on? :rolleyes:
(Although, I may still use the 2-ch for CDs sometimes so as I can use the sub)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... that NAD sounds exactly like my Outlaw receiver in this regard.

So, Mike, can you send all signals - multichannel SACD, two channel SACD, and two channel redbook CD - through the same 5.1 analog pass-thru inputs? It sounds as though you can, and this is precisely what I'd want to do with my setup (I'm CD-only now, and prefer the sound quality thru the "analog pass-thru" inputs, despite the lack of bass management capabilities).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
So, Mike, can you send all signals - multichannel SACD, two channel SACD, and two channel redbook CD - through the same 5.1 analog pass-thru inputs?
Yes. The player outputs a signal through all of its outputs simultaneously. I just set my receiver to 5.1 and I'm all set to go.

I never used the 2-ch input in my receiver anyway- it's more convenient to just use the one input.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I must have one of these. Seriously. My old, formerly trusty HK CD player briefly struggled back to life, but is now just giving error messages again (carousel won't turn, disc won't engage). And I dislike the sound quality of my Pioneer DVD player for CDs immensely.
Unfortunately, the wallet is tight at the moment as I just upgraded my speakers and the wife and are off to what's turning out to be a very expensive wedding-trip to L.A. next week...
Damnable wedding rob Rich of money! Grrrr.... :angry:
I understand that the JandR unadvertised price for the 555ES is about $600 shipped? (Yes, I'm in MA, but my in-laws are in NY, and I could have it shipped there.) But before I shake the change out of the couches, can anyone enlighten me regarding (1) what the unadvertised price of the 222ES is, and (2) is it a huge step down from the 555ES in terms of sound quality only (don't care as much about bells and whistles)?
Thanks! :)

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Rich,
Wouldn't you be better served getting a really good plain CD player instead of a SACD changer?

I'm all for supporting new multichannell formats and players, especially if you have the financial resources.

But unless you have a large SACD collection already it seems the 555ES would not be the most appropriate way to devote your $ right now.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg said:

There is no doubt that the 555ES SQ is in another league than my 900V DVD/SACD player. I was always very happy with the 900V SQ with SACD's and was pleasantly surprised how much better the 555 is. I haven't listened to any redbook CD's yet. I'll try that out this weekend.
What do you mean by "SQ"?

Greg, I am not surprised that the 'C555ES is a better SACD player than the 'NS900V. The 'C555ES is an ES component, while the 'NS900V is not. Also, the 'NS900V is a DVD player, which usually means the audio performance is compromised. Finally, the 'NS900V retailed for a good bit less than the original retail price of the 'C555ES.

If you get the Denon '3800 you will really be set with two great front-end components and both high-resolution formats. Hope it works out for you.

Let us know how you like the 'C555ES as a CD player.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg,
O.K., I figured it out. SQ = sound quality.
Piers,
The 'C555ES is a really good CD player. That is not to say that aren't good CD players available for less. There are. However, the 'C555ES is a steal for $600 by mail. It is easily worth $600 just for its CD playback capabilities. You get SACD for free. :)
Rich,
See my commments to Piers for my views on the 'C555ES. First, J&R will ship to Massachusetts, as far as I know. Have they told you that they won't? They have shipped to me in Delaware. Now, Delaware is closer to New York than is Massachusetts, but Delaware isn't a suburb of New York. :)
I have read that Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480) sells the 'C222ES for $350 delivered. J&R and OneCall may match this price. The 'C555ES is a better CD and SACD player than the 'C222ES. No question about it. The 'C555ES is also built noticeably better. However, the 'C222ES is very good for the money. As far as bells and whistles go, the two players offer the same features. Perhaps you file build quality under "bells and whistles"? ;)
In the end, go with the 'C555ES if you can. If you cannot, then the 'C222ES is nothing to sneeze at. Let us know what you decide to do.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

You're in a much better position than I am to evaluate the pure red book CD capabilities of the player, since its in your system. The reduced price is a great deal. So no arguments there.

My issue is that if $ is tight, maybe it doesn't make sense to go out an get a multichannel player unless you have the software. I also think that this thread has made it confusing for people who are unfamiliar with what is involved with the A rating from Stereophile. While some members have tried to make it clear that this is based on multichannel performance, mostly the thread makes this less than transparent.

I

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Piers, I certainly do not advocate someone buying an SACD player outright if CD playback is the number one priority. There are many great CD players out there. As I said, the 'C555ES just happens to be an excellent CD player, while handling SACD as a bonus.
Regarding Stereophile's classification of components, I think it is Stereophile that is causing the confusion. We are trying to straighten out the mess, albeit we may be doing a poor job. :) Stereophile combines SACD and DVD-Audio players with CD players in its Recommended Components lists even though the high-resolution components are not rated against the CD players. It would be better if the high-resolution components were listed in a separate category in my opinion.
Stereophile states that high-resolution components are only rated against other high-resolution components, not against CD players. So, even though the 'C555ES is in the Class A list with some standard CD players, Stereophile is not necessarily saying that the 'C555ES is in the same league with respect to CD playback as the CD-only players in the Class A category. The 'C555ES is only a Class-A component as far as high-resolution components are concerned.

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I got mine from Oade for 595 + 25 for shipping. I live in Illinois so the region you live in was not an issue with them.
Rich,
Don't forget that this player has been discontinued. And yes, purely speculation on my part but I don't think Sony is going to make a replacement for the 555. I guess we will have to wait until CEDIA to find out. I think we would have heard something by now if they were going to though.
Keith,
Sorry about SQ. I guess I pulled that abbreviation out of my a%#.:D
Greg Johnson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks