Darn all you SACD fanatics!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Deschaine, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine Stunt Coordinator

I thought I had a handle on my money outflow (well sort of) and then I start hearing about this SACD thing.

Well I took the plunge this weekend and my wallet may never forgive me.

I found a brand new Sony SCD-C555ES at a local Soundtrack store on saturday. Then I went out and bought a few SACDs.

Kind of Blue, In a Silent Way (mailorder) and Sketches of Spain.

Boston - Boston

A Night in San Francisco - McLaughlin, DiMeola, and De Lucia.

Sea Change - Beck

Modern Cool - Patricia Barber and Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield (both mail order)

Then this morning, pre-ordered Dark Side of the Moon, Heathen - David Bowie, Oh! That Stradivarius - Linda Rosenthal, Hot Buttered Soul - Isaac Hayes and Antiphone Blues - Arne Domnerus.

I started with Boston and compared to the redbook and was blown away about 1:47 into Foreplay/Longtime at the final crescendo of Foreplay. I clearly heard things that weren't in the redbook. All I can say is wow!

Then popped in A Night in San Francisco and just fell over. Believe it or not, I've never listened to this album before and don't even know if this is a great SACD, but it's the best thing I've heard recorded live. What a soundstage! I have to believe this is indicative of SACD in general.

I haven't had much time to listen this week as I didn't hook the thing up until monday and now I'm working night's through tonight. Will do some more serious listening tomorrow and friday (day's off).

Now I have to figure out how to juggle my DVD and Music Poster collection addictions as well finance my trip to SXSW in Austin next month! Oh, woe is me. [​IMG]

On a more serious note, thanks for all the indirect advice on these SACD threads that has been thrown out there. It's been a big help.

Later, Rick

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Glad you like SACD.

It does get addicting when you realize all the great SACD's out there and hot new ones coming soon.

Lately I've been grooving to the new BOC "Agents Of Fortune" Multi-Channel SACD.

3. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

is there a portable SACD or DVD-Audio player? Or how about a car player for either one?

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

It is my understanding that there are car and portable DVD-A players but none of either for SACD.

5. Joshua Moran

Cool, can someone point me to a manufacturer or dealer? I have looked but have not found any.

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Rick,

It's even worse when one is bilingual, like myself. Then I "need" to get SACDs in my native language and English. Double the $$$ spend on SACDs.

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Rick,

Welcome to the world of SACD. There is alot of good music out there on SACD at this point. Do yourself a favor and pick up any of the new releases from The Rolling Stones and CCR. Also if you like jazz, John Coltrane A Love Supreme is a must buy and can be had at a great price. Enjoy the music.

J

8. Justin Lane

9. Joshua Moran

Hey thanks, and I didn't mean to take the thread off subject to much. [​IMG]

10. Rick Deschaine

Yep,

This is definitely going to be difficult on deciding what to choose. I mainly got into SACD because of it's preponderance of jazz. I will most likely end up buying a lot of the Miles, but 'A Love Supreme' is another of my all time faves. I'll most likely have to hold off a bit before I get that particular title.

John Geelan,

was wondering where you purchased 'Agents of Fortune'. That title hasn't come across my attention. I'd love some more ideas for online retailers that have extensive SACD title catalogs.

So far I've browsed Tower Records, Acoustic Sounds and of course Amazon.

Later, Rick

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. Justin Lane

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

14. Joshua Moran

Personally I can't see either format taking off until portable audio is more abundant, along with more modern music. Although the latter is picking up quite rapidly.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rick, nice purchases, both in terms of hardware and software! The 'C555ES is a great player, and you bought some great SACDs, musicwise and soundwise. Just accept the fact that you will live in poverty. However, your life will be rich musically. [​IMG]

I don't have the Friday Night in San Francisco SACD, but it is on my wantlist. The remastered CD sounds very good, but from everything I have read, the SACD is excellent. There are many SACDs I want, and this is just another one. [​IMG]

Wait until you hear the In A Silent Way SACD. I love that album, and the SACD is simply outstanding. When I bought it, I couldn't take it out of the short rotation for a good week!

I love Boston's debut album, so I have bought it in many formats. The SACD is not the greatest SACD out there, but it is easily better than my old CD. I had been listening to that album for years when I bought the SACD, and the SACD brought out things I had never heard before. Boston's compositions can be somewhat complex, and SACD brought out the layering of instruments that allowed me to better appreciate this complexity.

Anyway, you have a great little collection of SACDs there. If you are looking for more recommendations, any number of us can list our favorite discs. Just ask us!

Joshua,

Things are slow on the portable and car fronts for DVD-Audio and SACD. Actually, things haven't really gotten off the ground in these arenas for SACD. There are no portable or car SACD players on the market.

As for DVD-Audio, Panasonic had a surround-sound-capable car unit on the market for awhile, but I'm not sure if it is still available. A few portable DVD players on the market play DVD-Audio discs, but there aren't too many available, and they are expensive. I saw a Toshiba portable DVD-Audio player at CompUSA last week, and it looked pretty nice. It was $700, but it only plays stereo DVD-Audio tracks. That would be fine for listening through headphones while on the road, but I would want the surround-sound option for use at home. Hopefully these portable players will become more widely available for less coin soon.

16. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I got my BOC sacd thru Amazon.

17. Rick Deschaine

KeithH,

Thanks for the support in my choices.

Recently I had sent you a personal message about my 555ES and the DAC that's in the unit. I'm curious how it compares to the XA20ES player for redbook P/B only of course [​IMG]. I'm going to try and do some redbook comparison myself the next couple of days, but will most likely play SACDs only instead.

OK, now I need some excellent recommendations for Classical as well as other Jazz recordings. The more the merrier!

Thanks in advance, Rick

18. charles white

charles white Second Unit

In a previous, discontinued thread, I had made the statement that the SACD version of Kind of Blue by Miles Davis didn't sound much better than the gold Mastersound CD. I have the gold Mastersound CD of Boston and I must ask Keith if the SACD edition improves over the gold CD. I'm also new to the SACD world and thoroughly enjoying it so far. A Love Supreme and In A Silent Way have not been far from the player since I bought them.

19. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Rick, I'm no classical music expert, but I'd recommend either of the two Mahler Symphonies performed by the SFO/Michael Tilson Thomas. They're both fantastic, the 1st is a bit lighter, whereas the 6th is much darker (to completely oversimplify things). These are excellent recordings of some top-notch performances of great music. And the SFO plans to do all the Mahler symphonies on SACD, two per year.

20. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I am not convinced that portable and car audio solutions for SACD are a necessity if the recording studios would commit to issuing only hybrid discs (i.e. with both SACD and redbook CD layers). After all, portable disc players and cars are not environments that are going to benefit from the sonic benefits of high resolution audio.

Personally, I would be easily satisfied if I could simply play all my newly purchased SACDs in my car's current CD player and my Sony portable CD player. I do not expect the same level of audio performance in those applications, nor do I require them. I do not think I'm alone, either, judging by the popularity of the lower quality MP3 format for mobile audio.

If DVD-Audio also finally commits to adding a CD layer to its format, then both high-res formats would fit into most listeners portable worlds.