What's new

Sony SCD-C555ES and SACD...WOW! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, no problem regarding the abbreviation. :)
As I have joked with others here in the past, we will all be very sad when Sony announces the SCD-C9000ES at CEDIA, which will be a 40-lb. changer with a gold chassis for $1000. Of course, it will be a significant step up soundwise from the SCD-XA777ES. Yeah, that's going to happen. :crazy:

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,
I think you're being generous with your time & effort to share your experience with the 555ES with other members. I couldn't agree more that Stereophile's grouping is confusing and should provide another category!
Enjoyed the discussion - have a great wkd!:)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Proud owner of a Sony 775 and a Panny RP91 here.

I am very pleased with my introduction into Hi-Rez sound.

My RP91 has been fantastic with many DVDA's especially The Eagles Hotel California/

Just getting into SACD. I bought Thriller, JT and Kind Of Blue plus I have a few Stones SACD's.
Right now I have the 775 hooked up as a 2 channel player. I'll need a switch-box to have both the RP91 and the 775 hooked up for Multi-Channel.

I feel I have the best of both current worlds with the RP91 and the Sony 775.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Piers,

Thanks. I love talking audio. You have a great weekend as well.

John,

Have you considered getting two Radio Shack A/V switch boxes (part number 15-1952) for $30 to enable switching between multi-channel DVD-Audio and SACD? It's a shame that you are denying yourself multi-channel SACD.

While I don't have the 'RP91, I have its predecessor, the Technics DVD-A10. Hotel California on DVD-Audio is wonderful.

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
John,
Keith is absolutley correct about the Radio Shack switches. I used that method as well. Don't forget you'll still need to get six pairs of audio cables.:D
Greg Johnson

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, actually you need nine pairs of audio cables when you also consider the six cables that run from the outputs on the switch boxes to your receiver or pre/pro. ;)

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,
You're right again. Don't you ever get sick of being right all the time.:D
John,
If you PM me with your address. I'll mail you my 2 Radio shack switches that are just collecting dust right now.
Greg Johnson

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Piers, you're certainly correct that redbook CD is my no. 1 priority, but I've already switched my buying habits to favor hybrid discs. I've only got 7 SACD/CD hybrids at present... but you should see my wishlist!
And while I would like more clarification regarding how the 555 stacks up against other players in terms of redbook CD only, it certainly seems competitive with the better CD-only players in that price-range. No?
And my fear is that Sony won't release another mid-price player with pretenses toward audiophilia, but rather a slew of low-priced players bogged down with video processors and the like, while letting the pure audio playback quality slide. With the current low-low price of the 555 (relatively speaking), I feel a strong urge to jump in now - unfortunately, I'm held back at the moment by my skinny wallet! :frowning:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich asked:

And my fear is that Sony won't release another mid-price player with pretenses toward audiophilia, but rather a slew of low-priced players bogged down with video processors and the like, while letting the pure audio playback quality slide.
I share the same fear. Hopefully Sony will announce some quality audio-only SACD players at the upcoming CEDIA.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Thanks Greg for the offer!

Keith is right, I really enjoy Multi-Channel music on my RP91 which runs thru my Outlaw ICBM into my Denon 3300.

I could hook up the 775 thru the RS switchers into the ICBM then into the Denon.

Ithink the next SACD I want is Odfield's Tubular Bells. Is that a mutli-channel recording?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, Tubular Bells is a multi-channel SACD. In fact, it was among the first multi-channel SACDs released. I'm not sure if it was the first, but it came out early. I bought it in April 2001.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Rich,
Maybe you can find a local store to demo the 555ES? This will give you a chance to hear red book performance. There's nothing like giving your ears a demo.

Good luck with your next purchase no matter which direction you decide to go in!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to all, and hopefully I'll get a chance to hear this unit under decent circumstances. And, hopefully, there may still be some models available after my next payday! ;)
My greatest fear, as mentioned, will be a two-tiered set of models with me stuck in the middle between entry-level, do-it-all players that just don't cut it, sound-wise, and very expensive, audiophile players for which I simply cannot justify the expense. The 555 seems a perfect compromise, but at present I don't see another player like it on the horizon.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

I noticed in another thread that you prefer the sound of your 555CE to your AH! Njoe Tjoebs. Very interesting, as that was one of the CD-only players high on my list.

And this is thru your NAD receiver into your Energy speakers? Would you describe this as a brighter, more forward combo?

I ask because I've heard that the Outlaw receivers (which I have) tend to sound somewhat similar to the NADs, so I think my system might share some passing similarity to yours (not as good, but similar characteristics). FWIW, I'm driving Swans Diva speakers, which I find to be slightly laid-back (though most describe them as slightly forward).

The upshot of all this is that I'd conjecture you'd prefer the AH!'s warmer, tube sound with your setup over the Sony. But no?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, I have the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 connected to an NAD C 370/C 270 biamp combination with Totem Arro floorstanding speakers. The 'C555ES and '777ES are in the same set-up. I would say the NAD/Totem system might be considered on the forward side. It is a very lively set-up with oodles of detail. However, I would not label the system as bright. Some recordings sound bright, but I fault the recordings. Yes, this is known as rationalizing. :crazy:
I find the Ah! to be warmer in the mid-range and bass than the Sony players. Whether one wants to call this "warm" or "lacking in detail" is open to debate. All in all, I prefer the detail and punch that the Sony players deliver relative to the Ah! Surprisingly, the Sony players tend to be smoother in the vocals. The Ah! tends to sound brighter. I am using Siemens 7308 tubes at this point. Perhaps my view of the Ah! would change if I were to get the 24/192 upsampling DAC.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks so much, Keith! I think my system is likely less detailed and forward than yours, so I'd guess the 555ES would mate fairly well.
Part of my problem, I think, is getting my head around this notion of a mass-produced Sony model beating up on a tricked-out hot-rod like the AH! Plus, SACD...
Seems like a no-brainer. Hope there's still some units left after my next pay-day! :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, no problem. Try the 'C555ES in your system. While my NAD/Totem system might be on the forward system (but not bright!), the 'C555ES works very well. One thing I will say, and this a product of having a detailed system, is that some CDs definitely sound digital. But hey, CDs are digital! I would rather have the digital sound than a system that maked such details.

Yes, the Ah! is a modded player, but do consider the price. Upscale Audio sells it in stock form for $579. The only change I have made to my Ah! is an upgrade of the stock Philips 6922 tubes to Siemens 7308s for $60. Remember that the 'C555ES originally retails for $1700. Now, some may feel that the 'C555ES does not stack up with $1700 single-disc, redbook-only players, but the 'C555ES is a very capable CD player in my opinion. In any event, the Ah! is a very good player, but it is not a miracle worker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks