What's new

Sony 40 inch direct view 4X3 coming? (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I was out and about last weekend and at one of the stores was told that Sony will be releasing a 40" direct view 4X3 set in the fall. Anyone heard about this?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I heard the same, I heard it was going to be an XBR just like the 36 but with a larger screen. Although I can't verify.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
A Tweeter here locally stated that Sony was bringing out a unit late this year. He also gave me a ballpark figure of nearly four grand. At some 1500 or so over a 36 inch XBR, me thinks it might now be worth it for those four extra inches.
But hey, for those who love their Direct Views and need absolutely the most screen real estate possible, more power to you! Man, my 32 inch WEGA was already 130 or so pounds, I'd hate to imagine a 40 inch model.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, even though this set intrigues me, at anything close to $4,000 a 65 inch projection set makes a lot more sense. For those with the bucks and a rear projector spousal acceptance problem, this thing may make sense.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
The Sony 40XBR7000. Coming soon (for Sony that means Christmas). :) $4000 MSRP, I think. Yikes! And, freaking 4x3 no less!
eek.gif

You have to really love 4x3 direct views to lay out the cash for that, IMO. I mean, you can get a Pioneer Elite 510HD for that price these days! OR, OR... You could get the NEC LT150 (800x600 DLP Front projector) with a Stewart Screen for that price!!! Eight-freaking-feet wide!!!
Ok, I'll stop. :)
Todd

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
This is interesting news; I bought the Mitsubishi 40-inch picture tube set about 5 years ago for $2500 because I don't really like projection sets. A few months after I bought it Mitsubishi decided to get out of the picture tube business altogether. I'd never settle for a screen smaller than this now; my dilemma is what will I do when it comes time to upgrade to 16x9 HDTV since there isn't currently a direct-view set of that size (I'd like a 16x9 that's the same height as the Mitsubishi but wider, but that probably ain't gonna happen.)
And yes, these are a pain to move. I have to move mine just a few blocks next month and I'm not looking forward to it! I'll consider a flat-panel set if the prices go down and the picture quality gets better.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Like Jesse, I bought a 40" Mitsubishi direct view about 5 years ago. I also got mine for about $2500. The model # is CS-40507, the one with the matching stand, the top-of-the-line. I got it as they were being discontinued.
When shopping for a new TV, we had a choice of a larger Pioneer rear projection TV for the same money. My wife has worked for Pioneer for 14 years, so we can get their products at about a 40% savings.
I am still glad I made the choice I did. I have yet to see a RP that can rival the picture on my Mitsubishi!! When it is time to upgrade, in about 5 years, we will probably go with the largest or best plasma that Pioneer has at that time. Untill then, I will be very content with my 40".

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Wonder if this 40" will have the uneven brightness problem.
crazy.gif

Personally, I think should have made the largest 16x9 tube HDTV TV instead. A 40" 4:3 SDTV TV is a complete waste. It cannot do true 1080i and at 4 grand...
laugh.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
A 40" XBR? Yep, heard it'll be released in late October.
How about the rumor that Sony will also be introducing a 42" 16:9 XBR2 by end of year? Now that I'd like to get my hands on!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.